ETL 5, The Master Thread. Strategium is now UP!

Dantay VI

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/36dd4af0abf3068ec6b2bf3c02f44003.jpg

Hi Folks, as with previous years the howl has gone out to bring back the Wolves to compete in the ETL.

But who will heed the call and return?

This topic is no way to step on the toes of the previous one, but sometimes a little planning and organising can go a long way to ensuring a fun event for all concerned.

So for all those wishing to sign up for the the ETL and pledge to the Space Wolves forum, I humbly request that you post your name here.

Do not post what your vow will be, this is just an affirmation that you are taking the time to participate. There are a few weeks left before pledging begins, so lets take the time to reflect & when the time is right we can lay down our markers for the coming event.

If this is your first ETL, please let me know smile.png

Questions or plans for what you will vow can be posted here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321832-pre-etl-vowing/

Role-call:

+Alakinsky*

Amarog

Angrypantz

+Anselneo

Bladewolf

+Brother Callidan-

Brother Crazywolf

+Bulweih

+Burias-Drak'shal*

+Ch@oZ*

+Codyrstuart

Cry Wolf*

DanPesci

+Dantay_xv

Ethzor

+FearPeteySodes*

+Fytharin

+Gemini

+GK_Fury*

+Gnalbel-

Graymane*

+Gnenthaal*

Hammer Grimblood*

+jbickb

+Kassill

KJB*

+Konnavaer

+Leif Bearclaw-

+lovesmuffins*

+mactire

+Madwolf Shadowmane

+Maverik

+Mercbat

+MJ

+Moric

+Nanaki*

+Onyxguard (the 50th)

+Rand Winters*

+RayRay-

+Rift Blade

+rgr_maddog

+RikuEru*

+Runefyre*

+Rune_Priest_Rhapsody

+Sturm Moonwolf

+Svenghali*

+SW1

+The_Mad_Hatter*

Theduke08

+TheRatfink*

+Tempes*

Triszin*

Viddar

+Vykryl

Wolf Guard Dan*

+Wolf Lord Kieran

Wraithwing

+Wulfgar76

+Yoyo ninja*

Hail & Well met, warrior of Russ!!

First of all we would like to thnk you for considering to join the Wolves on this grand adventure & welcome you to the ETL. We sincerely hope that you will find it both interesting & fun. As you haven’t taken part in The ETL with the Wolves before, we thought it would be a good idea to put together a small something, to give you some explanation & tips as to what the ETL is

For those who have not been involved in a painting competition, hopefully this will help to give you a flavour of what to expect. If you have done a similar competition in the past, we hope this doesn’t come across as teaching you how to suck eggs

So what is the ETL?

ETL stands for E Tenebrae Lux. The ETL started out life as a painting challenge put forth by the Dark Angels sub-forum. This has now grown to encompass all the sub-forums into a full on, inter-forum painting competition whereby an individual vows a legal unit (or units) for a particular faction (Space Wolves in our instance) and has to paint them to completion (to your standard, which you alone can decide) within a three month time frame. The faction with the most points painted is crowned the winner earning eternal glory (special signatures, etc) and a year's worth of bragging rights.

This is the fifth year of the ETL.

The ETL V

Captain Semper has already hinted that basic rules will be the same as last year, but he will not tell anyone which date will be used to mark the start of the ETL. However based on previous events we can surmise that:

The challenge will start on either 1st May 2016 and run until 1st August or it will run 15th May until the 15th August.

In order to participate in the ETL, your first vow must be made within 1 month of the ETL start date.

Maximum vows to be five, maximum of 3000 points per vow, A new one can be made once you have completed the previous one.

All models to be a legal Codex entry and WYSIWYG

Two pictures must be supplied. An unpainted/primed picture at the start of your vow, as evidence that you have not jumped the gun and a picture of your completed vow. If you have made a vow, but are working on your models in stages for example 4 packs of 10 Grey Hunters, but you plan to do them in batches of 20, a before shot of each batch, and then a final picture of all the models completed will suffice

As this is the fifth incarnation of the event, Captain Semper has also hinted he is going to throw a curveball into the event , but as yet, we have no idea what it might be, so we will keep you posted when we find out and what it will mean for you.

What Can I Do?

Basically, we have up to 3 weeks to prepare ourselves for the challenge ahead. Use the time to plan your vow(s) into manageable chunks and get them assembled. If you can, get them primed in advance.

Make your vows manageable: Split the models you want to vow up into small manageable portions and work on them when you can. It takes the pressure off of you and it will give more time to look around and enjoy the creativity around. There is nothing worse than being head down, bum up and painting 24/7, under pressure to hit a deadline and detesting every moment of it.

From a team perspective, any uncompleted vows nullify your entire points haul & affect the rest of the Space Wolves overall points total, so small achievable vows are much better than one large daunting vow. We would like to achieve as close to 100% completion rate as possible.

Paint all your Thunderwolves/ Fenrisian Wolves/Wulfen as one vow, or split into 2, paint all your vehicles in one vow, troops in another. This will hopefully get you into a production line style of painting and will help you to get through a number of models faster than painting them individually. I know.

For years I have painted one model at a time and get so discouraged when I see on model don, but a wall of grey plastic/ resin staring at me. Getting into a production line kind ogf groove has really helped keep me motivated and seen me start to work my way through the literal mountain of models sitting in my garage.

If you are magnetising, vow the expensive choice! Also, things like hunter-killer missiles count as they are WYSIWYG so add them to your vehicles even if it's via blu-tac!

Rumour is that we will be allowed to run Cypher, so raid your bits box for a bolt pistol, plasma pistol and enough parts to make a counts-as Cypher

Pace yourself: real life stuff, such as, exams, weddings, births, looking for a job etc can and most likely will come up at some point during the ETL, so leave yourself a little bit of wiggle room. If you start to get hacked off then take a wee break to recharge the batteries before going again.

Remember, the ETL is a marathon not a sprint, so there is no need to go hammer & thong in the first week only to tire yourself out.

Never be afraid to ask questions: As an engineer the first thing I was taught, is that there is no such thing as a stupid question. The Space Wolves forum is one of the friendliest on here & if you are struggling with something or are unsure about what can go into a vow etc.. Ask, because there will always be someone out there willing to help you.

We are a Team: One of the best parts of the ETL is the melting pot of modellers & painters coming together. Not sure how to paint something? Put it out there. Saw someone use a new technique? Ask how it was done. Want to share something you have learned? Share it.

There may be some Silver Wolves amongst us, but we are never too old to learn & we like new tricks

Have fun: Above all this is the most important thing to do. We want this to be really enjoyable for you & something we hope you will want to take part in year after year

So lets take up our brushes & like the Wolves which came before us, relish the challenge ahead. For Russ & the AllFather

I am really humbled and impressed. Looks like we will have a strong pack this year :)

rgr_maddog, I saw your post in the ETL V thread. Setting up a small how-to for posting pictures is a very good idea.

We have seen a few newcomers of late struggle to post photos.

Duly noted

A new howl cuts the sky of Fenris, and I, Runefyre, pledge myself to the Aett, Russ, and the Allfather!

Also, is there a comprehensive thread detailing all the rules for ETL V, or will those be released when regristration begins?

Glad to have you aboard Runefyre. There are no comprehensive rules yet for this years ETL, I will try to dig up last years rules for you. 

We believe that the rules will stay very much the same, so it will be a good guide as to what to expect.

Is this gonna be your first ETL Runefyre?

Glad to have you aboard Runefyre. There are no comprehensive rules yet for this years ETL, I will try to dig up last years rules for you.

We believe that the rules will stay very much the same, so it will be a good guide as to what to expect.

Is this gonna be your first ETL Runefyre?

Thanks dantay, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into tongue.png.

And yes, this is my first ETL, with my busy schedule (owning a farm and all) I'm excited to join something that really forces me to find time to paint my ever growing collection.

Atm I think I've got ~900 points I will commit to (without stretching myself). I have more like just under half of all models that need paint, without counting my first SW models that desperately need a dip in simple green sad.png.

Thats cool Runefyre, It is good to get some fresh blood in smile.png

Here is the URL or whatever it is called which will take you to last years rules

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/306909-e-tenebrae-lux-iv/?p=4025486.

New year new tweaked rules, maybe Semper is a GW rules writer biggrin.png

Most models should be at the most primed to be applicable, but if you have a few in te very early stages, such as first base coat, ask Captain Semper if he will allow it as part of the vow. I would also recommend a small vow to get you started.

Btw, it doesn't matter or how little is vowed, because all contributions are really appreciated. Just run with it and have fun smile.png

Archived