The Order of the Glorious Reprisal (Display Name Change)

WOOOH! Hopefully I can maintain my enthusiasm through painting 1500 points of sisters . . . I'll be doing it in chunks.

Also, here's how my test model looked after I did the washes. These pictures are a couple weeks old.

Laurial Revised Front

Laurial Revised Back

Sister Laurial is excited to have the rest of Squad Dominus join her (I would imagine).

I Servant of Dante rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete 1 Battle Sister Squad [19 models, veteran superior (power sword), simulacrum imperialis, flamerx2] and 1 Seraphim Squad [9, Seraphim superior (power sword, plasma pistol), dual hand flamers x2] from Codex: Adepta Sororitas of total value 468 points on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to The Order of the Glorious Reprisal, all of the orders militant, the Adeptus Ministorum, and our Immortal God-Emperor on Terra and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

ETL5 Vow 1 Before

Edited by Servant of Dante

Veteran Superior Margrettia............................................................................................................................ 45 points

A single Sister Superior from a Battle Sister Squad in your army may be upgraded to Veteran Superior Margrettia, replacing all Wargear, Special Rules, and so on with the ones below. Alternatively, Veteran Superior Margrettia may be taken as an HQ choice. In this case she costs 57 points, and the Detachment she is in may not include any other models or units that fill HQ force organization slots.

WS 4  BS 4  S 3  T 3  W 2  I 3  A 2  Ld 10  Sv 3+  Unit Type: Infantry (Character)  Unit Composition: (Unique)

Wargear:

• Power armour
  • Power Sword
  • Boltgun
  • Frag grenades
  • Krak grenades

Special Rules:

• Act of Faith
  • Defiant
  • Shield of Faith

Act Of Faith:

• Light of the Emperor

SPECIAL RULES

Defiant: Once per game, when Veteran Superior Margrettia or her unit takes a leadership test, instead of rolling, they may choose to count as having rolled double ones.

ACT OF FAITH

Veteran Superior Margrettia is a part of the Battle Sister Squad she joins, and is treated exactly like the Sister Superior she replaces for the purposes of Acts of Faith.

Why does Magrettia take up an HQ choice if she's replacing another model? Past precedence is for such characters to be auxiliaries, regarding the FoC. She can be the Warlord without being an HQ.

Especially since she's slightly overcosted (+1 WS & W, and that Defiance rule, are not worth a whole 30 points).

Why does Magrettia take up an HQ choice if she's replacing another model? Past precedence is for such characters to be auxiliaries, regarding the FoC. She can be the Warlord without being an HQ.

Especially since she's slightly overcosted (+1 WS & W, and that Defiance rule, are not worth a whole 30 points).

If you are using a CAD, you have to have an HQ choice. I wanted to let her lead the army without there being a Canoness around. If I just let her be Warlord without being an HQ choice, a combined arms detachment would be illegal with her leading it.

As for the points cost, thanks for the coment! I'll drop 10? points.

The being-warlord-but-not-HQ is just part of normal 40k.

What I would suggest is that you instead give her a special rule that lets her replace the sister superior OR be taken as an IC HQ choice.

The being-warlord-but-not-HQ is just part of normal 40k.

What I would suggest is that you instead give her a special rule that lets her replace the sister superior OR be taken as an IC HQ choice.

I guess. But from a fluff standpoint I want her to stay with her squad, but your answer probably makes more sense, although I'm not sure how to write her point value if she can be either an IC or an upgrade

Edit: Changed as per your recommendation.

not super sold on the name . . .

Edit: I'm really enjoying having this space to post all of my homegrown rules.

EMPEROR’S VENGEANCE PURIFICATION FORCE

This Detachment represents a typical force of Sisters from the Order of the Glorious Reprisal and their combat doctrine. It follows all the Detachment rules presented in Warhammer 40,000: The Rules.

COMPULSORY
1 HQ
2 Troops
1 Fast Attack

OPTIONAL
1 HQ
4 Troops
2 Elites
2 Fast Attack
3 Heavy Support
1 Fortification
1 Lord of War

RESTRICTIONS
All units in this Detachment must have the Adepta Sororitas Faction (or be fortifications).

COMMAND BENEFITS
Holy Promethium: Any enemy unit that suffers any casualties from a Hand Flamer, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, or Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer that is fired by a model or vehicle from this Detachment must take a Morale check, even if it does not suffer 25% casualties in this phase. This does not cause units that do suffer 25% casualties in this phase to take two Morale checks.

Hymns of Vengeance: At the beginning of each turn, count the number of Troops and Fast Attack units on the battlefield from this Detachment, excluding Dedicated Transports. Us the number of units counted to apply the appropriate result from below. Each result includes all results above it and affects all units and/or models (as appropriate) from this Detachment, and no others.

1-2 Units :No benefit
3+ Units :Units gain the Furious Charge special rule.
4+ Units :Units add 1 to their charge range
5+ Units :Models add 1 to their Initiative
6+ Units :Models gain the Stubborn special rule

Instead of "Emperor's Vengeance Purge Force," how about "Emperor's Blessings and Purification Force"? That eliminates one potential scat joke, and is more thematically whole. (Naturally, the Sisters will interpret a bolt shell to a heretic's head as the "Emperor's blessings upon those seeking to repent," and a melta blast as the "Emperor's light purifying the unclean.")

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

You're thinking of the super-detachment, Helion - a normal Detachment is just a force organisation chart (the old 'standard FOC' is a Detachment now, the Combined Arms Detachment).

Effectively you've put a Drawback that isn't really (must have one Fast Attack. For Sisters. Whose best units are Fast Attack) and swapped rerolling your Warlord Trait for the old Holy Promethium rule, which is fun.

Not really sure about the mob bonus. I kind of see what you're going with, but I think +1WS doesn't really make much sense - you don't actually get better at fighting because you're on an adrenaline high. On the other hand, +1 Initiative - your mind is active, you're paying attention more, and you're being carried forwards by fervor and momentum - would make a bit more sense, and be considerably more useful.

Instead of "Emperor's Vengeance Purge Force," how about "Emperor's Blessings and Purification Force"? That eliminates one potential scat joke, and is more thematically whole. (Naturally, the Sisters will interpret a bolt shell to a heretic's head as the "Emperor's blessings upon those seeking to repent," and a melta blast as the "Emperor's light purifying the unclean.")

I changed it to emperor's vengance purification force

You're thinking of the super-detachment, Helion - a normal Detachment is just a force organisation chart (the old 'standard FOC' is a Detachment now, the Combined Arms Detachment).

Effectively you've put a Drawback that isn't really (must have one Fast Attack. For Sisters. Whose best units are Fast Attack) and swapped rerolling your Warlord Trait for the old Holy Promethium rule, which is fun.

Not really sure about the mob bonus. I kind of see what you're going with, but I think +1WS doesn't really make much sense - you don't actually get better at fighting because you're on an adrenaline high. On the other hand, +1 Initiative - your mind is active, you're paying attention more, and you're being carried forwards by fervor and momentum - would make a bit more sense, and be considerably more useful.

Good point! Switched to initiative. I'm trying to give an effect based on the sisters sisnging a battle hymn, so I figgured a bonus that scaled with the number of units singing might be appropriate.

Thanks!

It's a WIP picture! I know, not a big deal, but this is the first one I've posted.

I have a WIP picture! I'm posting this just before I move on to painting on the gold.

ETL5 Vow 1 WIP 1

So, after about 8 hours of fixing up the primer, much of which I hope was avoidable, it then took me about 8 and a half hours to get two coats of white on these 19 models, and I haven't touched the hair or cleaned up the white that got where it shouldn't be. Does this sound about right to you? Of course, this is the first squad I've ever painted (probably not a good choice to paint 19 models for my first squad) and it is large, but I'm curious how this compares to your experiences.

Thanks to everyone! I don't know if I would have ever got started painting without all of you!

Again, thank you, especially if you've commented in this topic.

On a different note, I've picked up the Dark Heresy 1E rulebook and the Inquisitor's Handbook, so if I ever find a group, I can play as a sister in an RPG! Probably the only time you will find me excited to play as a female character. In any other case, I would just find it awkward. Weird.

Anyway, the fluff for the sisters in those books is somewhat cringey. You begin as a Novice, which would never happen. A novice would never leave her order for the Inquisition short of kidnapping, as far as I'm concerned (actually this a great idea for my character's background . . . ). Also, as far as I can tell they have the orders Famulous lumped in with the Orders Diologus. A grievous example of heresy. Either way, I'll be going down the militant path.

Of course, some of these problems where fixed by the Blood of Martyrs book, but it has it's own problems, IMO.

I just ignore the majority of the dark heresy fluff. It is heresy, after all, and I like my Sisters to be a bit tougher than being able to fight 'cultists and sometimes even orks'.

To be fair, the sisters are better than most of the other careers, and once they get their power armour and bolt weapons, they probably can fight more nasty things. Once I get a better handle on the system, I may try to fix the career paths for the sisters.

I'm just happy to be able to play a sister at all, and I do plan on ignoring the fantasy flight fluff. Additionally, my character will hopefully be from the Order of the Glorious Reprisal, so . . .

Here's the list I'm working toward painting this ETL. Note that some of the choices (like the laud hailer and the dozer blades) are there because that's how the vehicles are modeled, and I want to go 100% WYSIWYG, besides grenades.

The Canoness and the priests go with the big BSS. The Dominions Outflank.

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1492pts)
  • No Force Org Slot
    • Ministorum Priest (40pts) Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, The Litanies of Faith
    • Ministorum Priest (25pts) Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol
    • Sororitas Command Squad (190pts) Heavy Flamer x5, Immolator (Dozer Blade, Laud Hailer, Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer)
  • HQ
    • Canoness (135pts) Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator, Rosarius, The Mantle of Ophelia
  • Troops
    • Battle Sister Squad (285pts) 20 models, Flamer x2, Simulacrum Imperialis, Veteran Superior (Power Sword, Boltgun)
    • Battle Sister Squad (60pts) 5 models
  • Fast Attack
    • Dominion Squad (165pts) 5 models, 4x Meltagun, Immolator (Twin-Linked Multi-Melta)
    • Seraphim Squad (210pts) 10 models, 2x Two Hand Flamers, Seraphim Superior (Plasma Pistol, Power Sword)
  • Heavy Support
    • Exorcist (130pts) Dozer Blade
    • Exorcist (130pts) Dozer Blade
    • Retributor Squad (122pts) 6 models, 4x Heavy Bolter, Simulacrum Imperialis

Thanks again everyone! Here's my update from the ETL thread.

Update! 8:45 more painting, and I finished the gold last night.

Here's a correctly sized image of the squad so far (thanks to Captain Semper)

med_gallery_83651_11889_438117.jpg

Edit: wait a minute, I screwed something up.

Edit 2: OK. Got it.

And here's Veteran Superior Margrettia with Sister Laurial for comparison. The WIP models are looking pretty rough right now.

med_gallery_83651_11889_738071.jpg

I've finally got the will to paint some today, after 5 hours of painting yesterday, so I'm off to paint with Leadbealcher!

Looking good there. I really need to dig all of mine out and take a few good photos of it all. Might do that at the club tomorrow so it's got nice a nice terrain back drop. sadly it will be let down by several unpainted models.