LS Tempest Sableclaw Conversion

Epher

And now for something completely different... (queue music)

When I first bought into the hobby, I acquired some DV sets and a LS Tempest. Playing at my local GW not too many people knew what it was and there was no real copies of IA2 sculling about so I could not take advantage of its true capabilities. So I have gotten tired of fielding it as a counts as LS Typhoon and I thought I would try converting it to the ultimate land speeder... SABLECLAW!!! I have been contemplating this project for a while and had no idea how to accomplish this since there were very few conversions on the internet. I had no idea that there was a cockpit inside until I saw Brother Stobz's freshly acquired squadron and that was the bump that I needed to get this project rolling. Thanks, Brother Stobz!

I would like to open up the floor to comments and advice since this is the largest conversion project that I have undertaken since I gotten into the hobby a year and a half ago. Just a few points about my intentions:

1. I am thinking of leaving the antennas off the wings. I think it looks better with the side mounted assault cannons.
  2. I will be filling in the side doors to make that section smooth so the skull details will look more in place. Missile launchers will be filled in too. I will be adding a visor to the front as well. I may chop up the old canopy.
  3. I was thinking of mounting the assault cannons under the wings but there were no real places to put them that looked like a proper load bearing spot and that is why they are mounted on the sides.
  4. I hate the GW scaling on the assault cannons and heavy bolters. STICK TO ONE OR TWO SIZES AND LEAVE IT!!! Sorry about the yelling, I had to get that out of my system. Assault cannons should be larger than heavy bolters or am I just being a noob?
  5. I will be filling in the assault cannon mount on the nose. I thought about making it larger and mounting the heavy bolters in there. Thoughts?
  6. Sammael... Not the final bits that I will be using but I wanted to try to get the pose first. Back pack? Robes and flowing cape? All three? Thoughts on the head?
  7. Any other suggestions or bits that I could add? I also apologize for the profuse amount of sticky tac but I wanted to make sure this looked good before I started cutting.

med_gallery_83962_10975_61927.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_205134.jpg

I definitely agree on a visor or windshield in front of Sammael if just to balance the look of the model out.  I'd suggest trying one of the Ravenwing bike fairings that you get from the Ravenwing sprue or one of the standard Space Marine bike fairings that you're not using because you have Ravenwing ones.

I thing the Assault Cannons look great where they are.  The Heavy Bolters might just work filling in the hole up front.  If you keep them under the speeder I'd suggest moving them back a little or bulking up the mounting.  They look kind of flimsy right now.  

You might be able to cover up the missile pods on the sides with some dreadnought sarcophagus covers.  If you're like me and have picked up a few of the Ravenwing or Dark Angels Veteran sprues, you should have plenty of the things laying around.

As for Sammael himself I'd say try a few different things to see what looks best to you.  I think he looks pretty good without a cape and with a backpack.  I'd suggest a fancier sword to represent the Raven Sword.

After that maybe a couple of the small Ravenwing icons on the sides and some more assorted bling through bits, transfers, or freehand and I think it'll look pretty good.

Thanks for the comments!

@ Liberame: Check the picture and see what you think. I moved the A/C's under the nose to give it a more traditional Sableclaw look. Toughts on the two configurations?

@ Cypher: The SM bike fairing will work well! I never thought of it before. Looking at it now I think that I will have to remove the light and trim down the center. Sammy would not be able to see over it this way. I looked into the dreadnought sarcophagus lids but they are too big. I may take a DV bike fairing and use the wings of them to help cover it up. I agree on the sword too. I will have to look through my Black Knights sprues to see what I can find.

@ Brother Stobz: Thanks! I hope you will like the end result.

So here are the updated configurations. I think I am leaning towards #2. I like the sleek elongated look with the under slung assault cannons. #1 looks cool and mean like an attack helicopter but it looks a bit bulky.

med_gallery_83962_10975_456689.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_320551.jpg

Terrific conversion Epher! That's a great new angle on Sableclaw

Personally, I think I'm leaning towards #1. The underslung ass cannon looks great and is more traditional, but I find the side mounts look more mean and rugged. Sleek and elegant is for the xenos

I actually like #1 more, but the cannons should be lower IMO. Loving the bike canopy, just need to fill in where the bolters were, or perhaps shave it down so it is visually there but not so obstructive.

Gameplay wise #2 would give you a little extra range on the gun, but not sure if that matters to you.

I'm glad I could help!

I vote for #1 on aesthetics.  It's a nice triangular pattern of symetry, not everything all up front.  On the table though, you'll probably regret it if you don't go with #2.

If you grind down the headlight you can always cover it up with a Dark Angels or Angel of Death icon.

I say 2, just looks like some overwhelming firepower coming from the same spot, which is.... how it should be.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

[EDIT]

Although looking back at the pics have you considered shaving down the assault cannons and placing them where the heavy bolters are with the bolters being build into the side where the rocket pods are or vice versa? just a suggestion.

I say 2, just looks like some overwhelming firepower coming from the same spot, which is.... how it should be.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

[EDIT]

Although looking back at the pics have you considered shaving down the assault cannons and placing them where the heavy bolters are with the bolters being build into the side where the rocket pods are or vice versa? just a suggestion.

Man that sounds the best. Nose mounted double AC like an angry warthog and slender side mounted heavy bolters

That one wins the internet for today, great idea DR!

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions!

I am a fan of Dark Rage's suggestion, side mounted heavy bolters in place of the missile launchers and mounting the assault cannons in the nose. I have shown a picture with the under slung assault cannons. I was thinking of keeping them there and filling in the port in the nose. I figured that since I am cutting the nose I might as well try mounting the assault cannons there and if I mess it up I can always fill it stick with the previous plan.

I added more bits and made some changes to Sammy. I have a different torso in mind. Here are some of the mods in the works:

1. Need a bigger Ravenwing icon;
  2. Trim off the rear vent to mount the force field generator;
  3. Clean the bike fairing; and
  4. Add another DV bike headlight to cover the other canopy mount.

med_gallery_83962_10975_416164.jpg

I have finished the major upgrades to the LS Tempest to create Sableclaw. The heavy bolters were replaced the side mounted missile launchers and I doubled up on the nose mounted assault cannons. It was a fair bit of work was put into trimming the resin to make the assault cannons look right and some blood was shed in the process. I am a fan of how the weapons loadout looks. Thanks again DR for the suggestion!

I had to do something for the cockpit so I tried my best to create something with Milliput and bike handle bar bits. Sammy's hand will be going on the left and it will look like he will be holding a control stick that is not there right now. I will have to sand down the left side so that the bottom left line looks less angled. It did not seem so bad until I looked at the picture.

Sammy is still in the works. He is getting a back pack but no capes or robes. That will be the next pic. Almost set for the ETL!

med_gallery_83962_10975_515207.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_463692.jpg

After many hours toiling away, Sammael and Sableclaw are finally done! There was much internal debate about the head, torso and sword but I feel that this combination will work well with my Guardians of the Covenant army. The robes on the chest plate will be red thus tying Sammael back into my army. I know that the current blade does not really resemble the Ravensword but it will still drive the point home. I would like to say thanks to everyone for their comments and input into this conversion! It has really evolved from day one! Ultimately I am hoping this Sableclaw will strike some fear into the heretics or at least be a major thorn in their sides! The next set of photos will be posted when the painting is complete! This will be part of my first vow for the upcoming ETL. Once again you comments and criticism are welcome!

med_gallery_83962_10975_56933.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_721058.jpg

I think it's good to have some variety to set successor chapters apart from the dark angels. The gotc wouldn't have the Ravensword, but maybe a different heaven fall blade. Either way, beautiful work. Can you explain all the green stuff around where you attached parts?

Archived