LS Tempest Sableclaw Conversion

Epher

Thanks!  I really liked that idea too but unfortunately I had to work with what I had.  I really wanted to use the larger sized assault cannons as found on the land raiders but the desire to finish the model won out in the end.  I cannot wait to finish my Ravenwing army and get them on the table!

I think it's good to have some variety to set successor chapters apart from the dark angels. The gotc wouldn't have the Ravensword, but maybe a different heaven fall blade. Either way, beautiful work. Can you explain all the green stuff around where you attached parts?

I used Liquid Green Stuff for the conversion.  It was used to fill in the low spots and smooth out some of the details that were removed from the model.  Here is a list of what was used where:

1.  The vents on the side of the missile launchers were scraped off and LGS was used to smooth it out.  Sword with half wing emblems were glued there.
  2.  The next major spot was the SM bike fairing.  I had to cut off the head light and touch it up.  The spot where the fairing mounted to the land speeder did not line up.  The fairing is slightly wider than the canopy mount and LGS was used to fill in the void.  I still have a bit of filling left to do.
  3. I used Milli-put to fill in the missile launchers and create the shroud around the assault cannons.  It is a little hard to see it in the pictures.  I also used a little LGS to fill in a spot on the assault cannon shroud.  The console is modeled using milli-put too.
  4. I also cut out the canopy mount brackets and touched it up too.  The plan was to add some search lights on top of the intake but it looked too busy.

Thats about it for the spots of green stuff.  I hope I was able to explain it well enough!

What you have created is magnificent. Now just remove those tiny nubs on those wing tips lol

Do you mean just the rounded nubs or the whole assembly behind it?  You know I have thought about it...

Yea just the rounded nubs, the square wing tips should stay to add character

Well... it looks much better from the top but it looks a little odd from the front.  I may end up drilling it out or rounding the top and bottom edges. 

The LGS would work well for seams like that.  There is less work involved with smaller gaps.  The big ones in the Tempest are taking a while to fill but I expected that.  The LGS will shrink as it dries.  There was a lot of it used on my terminator librarian conversion.  Your squadron of rhinos are looking pretty good too!  Do you have any plans on converting one of them to a Damocles Command Rhino?  All you need is a fancy satellite dish and for 75 points you get a one shot orbital bombardment... definitely a force multiplier.

That round knobs on the wings are the attachment Point For two antennas... Like the one on the nose of the regular LS...

I Like How they look without antennas Too...

Unfortunately those antennas have broken off and one was lost in battle. I thought about gluing them but I like the look of this tempest without them. I may add on a sensor pod but we will have to see how it goes.

I got the base done! The ETL has started so I can actually start painting!

med_gallery_83962_10975_972081.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It is now three weeks into ETL V and I have made some progress on the conversion. I have been busy with mt Ravenwing Support Squad and now this model can get the attention that it deserves. So here are some update pics. Sammael is pretty much done. I have to paint the handle and the power nodes on his version of the Ravensword. Since this model is being painted for the Guardians of the Covenant successor chapter I am going to have to find a new name for Sammael. Any suggestions?

I have also thrown in a picture of the cockpit of Sableclaw too. The little circle to the bottom right is not a cup holder, I have a control stick that will be glued in there.

C&C is always welcome!

Sableclaw cockpit with cup holder:

med_gallery_83962_10975_136762.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_22299.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_8355.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_181917.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mate, this is an awesome concept - and one I have started copying shamelessly! This is the favourite Sableclaw edition I've found on the interwebz :) Great job - and apologies for the steal! :) 

Mate, this is an awesome concept - and one I have started copying shamelessly! This is the favourite Sableclaw edition I've found on the interwebz smile.png Great job - and apologies for the steal! smile.png

Copy away my fellow Battle Brother! Thank you for the compliments. You should post your pictures too. I would like to see your rendition!

I just realized that I have not posted any pictures of the finished product in this thread. Shame on me. Just a few words on the completion of the build. I had originally glued the sword on Sammael but that was a bad idea. I could easily imagine the sword breaking at the hilt during storage and transportation. So now the arm is magnetized. Sammael was hot glued into place instead of using super glue. It offers some flexibility and fills in the odd spaces to provide a decent bond. Things I would have done differently? I think I would like to add the sensor antennas on the wing tips. Other than that, I am very pleased with the results!

Speaking of the results... Here they are! C&C is always welcome!

26976542953_55df83b8ca_c.jpg

27512439671_18fc671a9d_c.jpg

27512438921_38d5540788_c.jpg

27308216280_a417df86f6_c.jpg

27512439031_b27a399753_c.jpg

Things I would have done differently?  I think I would like to add the sensor antennas on the wing tips.  Other than that, I am very pleased with the results!

...You still can glue the sensors to the wingtips, surely? ;)

Copy away my fellow Battle Brother! Thank you for the compliments. You should post your pictures too. I would like to see your rendition!

Just finished undercoating mine this morning. Have some pre-UC onesI can try and upload later, but I have had a multitude of issues trying to upload, as well as linking images on here. sad.png

The only minor differences is the Assault cannons - I put them under the wings and filled out the original ass. cannon slot w. green stuff..some of the ornaments vary (like yours better, but simply didn't have them) also my master wears a helmet, as that's a theme across the entire army. Trying to decide on a paint scheme - the rest of my Ravenwing have the split theme of the Angels of Redemption, but have had some good results w. black on my interrogator chaplain (Think I have an image of him in my Gallery)... Could have made the Master a RW chappie.. dammit.. I dunno what to do now biggrin.png

Also - great to see the finished model! :) Well done! I think it works really well as a whole! One thing I noticed was the size difference between the tempest and the regular speeder, never knew as I didn't have the model, but it really feels and looks right that it's a tougher and heavier version than "just" a standard speeder with inexplicable armour 14

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Daeminion.  Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you.  I have checked out your conversion and it is looking pretty good.  It looks pretty sleek and streamlined.  A chariot worthy of Sammael himself!  I think you should go for the split paint pattern.  It would tie it back in with your army and I think Tempest Claw would look pretty sick with the bone and green.  Thanks for the compliments!  How is your conversion coming along?

Hi Brother Dark!  The more tempest claws out there, the better!  Be sure to post some pics!

• 2 weeks later...

I......I....I have a confession......send for the interrogators

after receiving my prebuilt tempest, I just loved the look of it, and pimped it out ravenwing style instead of converting to sableclaw....I might re-look in future,

but the tempest on its own now, has pride of place at the front of my RWSF as it bombs it onto the table turn 2 :)

I'll try to get some pics of it up soon.

@FC: Thanks! I have been meaning to get a better picture up, I will try to do it this week!

@Brother Dark: I must say that there is nothing wrong with a Ravenwing Tempest streaking onto the table! It does look good in black. From what I recall, in the latest edition of Imperial Armour the Tempest is cheaper in points. It used to be 125. Before the conversion I used mine as a "counts as typhoon" where I removed the AC and put in an assault cannon. Since I did not have a copy of the Imperial Armour book I could not really use it and I got tired of trying to explain what it was. I really hate to say it but Sableclaw has not made it onto a table yet. mellow.png

Looking forward to some pics!

Archived