Questoris Knight Titans tactica

helterskelter

These are a thing for Heresy and I haven't seen a tactics thread for them so I thought I'd start one as I'm about to purchase my first knight to start another set of Allies for the Old NL (because big guns)

So does anyone run a full knight house?

Do you run a house as allies?

What loadouts do you have for your various ranks?

The right guns for the right job?

Example: Seneschal in a Crusader, Avenger Gatling Cannon, Rapid fire Battle cannon, twin icarus autocannon, ocular enhancements (gotta be able to see in the dark!) And 2 meltaguns.

The idea is he can deal reasonably well with many and varied targets whilst benefitting from better BS, therefore hitting more with the dice and templates he/she will be chucking about

I've only had the capacity to run 2 knights maximum - any more is sort of overkill unless you're playing over 3k+ points.

I've run my Atrapos as the lord for a 3++ ionic flare shield and my Acheron as a regular scion.

Well-matched roles, as I see it (ignoring the fact that everyone benefits from a better invulnerable save and +1WS/BS):

- Lancer -

Senechal - high rate of fire on main gun to take advantage of +BS, close combat focused for 5 attacks at WS5 SD I5 when charging. Only knight with a shield in close combat, so the +1 save helps the most

Aucteller - Since it's unable to target multiple units, the Lancer is basically a suicide charger for high-point games. Aucteller lets you go after the nominated target for the extra +D3 VP, and when you inevitably die, get to swing once more before exploding.

- Acheron (Atrapos potentially likes this too, but mine is currently still in pieces) -

Uhlan - Scout so you can come in from the side and fry their whole battle-line. Hit and Run so they can never lock you down in combat and keep the apocalypse flamer silent. The snap-fire drawback is non-existent. -1AV sucks, but it's far more likely to actually reach the enemy with scout. It's even a free upgrade!

- Styrix - (Styrix is my favorite funky Questoris variant, although more defensive than the Warden/Crusader who also love these roles)

Preceptor - I almost always include this role if bringing an Uhlan Acheron for the +1 to reserves. Interceptor fire with a 5-shot S8 AP3 deflagrate weapon will make the very popular Orbital Assault lists very sad (although artificer armour can be a pain). Overwatch with the same gun can be fun too. As a bonus, it also grants Overwatch/Interceptor to friends within 6".  The buff bubble is why I like the more defensive Styrix over Warden/Crusader.

Arbalester - Tank Hunter and Skyfire, 'nuff said. Always take one of these on a high rate of fire weapon (Warden/Crusader ideal due to being able to shoot multiple targets), because dealing with transports and clearing the skies are usually the biggest challenge faced by Knight armies.

- Castigator -

As Styrix/Crusader/Warden, although I think the latter additions have made this variant entirely obsolete (lack of second gun doesn't help).

Implacable - since it has nothing to set it apart except its silly sword, may as well push the anti-infantry close combat angle with 5++ saves against melta-bombs and grenades, and re-rollable Stomps.

Everyone else I'd just run as stock (Paladins) or not at all (Magaera).

Out of curiosity, how viable do people consider the knight list to be running solo?

I can see myself including an ally detachment in the near future, due to a certain boxed set.

But if it's a viable option to do, I would love the idea of building up an independent knoght household to run.

Edit:

I should clarify, by viable, I mean fun, varied, interesting and functional. Power levels are only a minor concern.

I just had a game where I used my Atrapos as a seneschal against an armoured breakthrough RoW. He tanked a laser vindi squadron, preds, sicarans(both types) on the nose like a champ. 3++ Ionic and Blessed AutoSim kept him going strong. He even vortex'd two sicarans. I didn't realize how bad D got nerf'd with 2-5 only doing HPs so no stuns or the like btu he held true. He's the centerpiece of my knight collection so he's always going to be seneschal.

I have a crusader with cannon and spear pod as a martial to hang back on objectives and unload, a Paladin as a second martial, a gallant Uhlan, and a Warden Preceptor. I've yet to field more than two as anything other than allies to my RG though. Total theyre just over 2k depending on upgrades/rank, a sixth would bring it around 2.5k. Optimally I'd ally in some AdMech for cheap thrall scoring, maybe a krios venator squadron.

As a list with only knights you would want to play kill point missions because physical objectives would be hard to hold and actually score. At this point though you're probably just playing a modified game with the goal of "Versus Knights" anyway though.

Archived