Eternal Crusade (PC)

Space Marine was more polished?

Did you actually play it? Or are you wearing rose tinted goggles? 

• The P2P multiplayer was laggy and horrendously disconnected 23/7. 
  • Balance was horrendous (melta-gun spam and lascannon sniping) 
  • Combat was incredibly basic and repetitive. There was no combat system.
  • Customisation was incredibly basic. Two or so perks per gun, some differing armour plates.
  • The RPG element was linear & basic. No skill tree. 
  • Maps were tiny and player count was small.
  • No vehicles
  • All the DLC released was paid map packs, mostly. It split the community asunder. Yet people are claiming EC has shady microshop already. 

Space Marine was a great game, but had plenty of big drawbacks that stopped it from reaching giddy heights of greatness. Saying EC is some form of reduced SM is .. again it's just rose tinted goggles.

To be fair in the latest press release thingy from the people at EC they seem to imply somewhere down the line there's going to be content you have to pay for (hahaha no.) And a chunk of what you've listed can still apply to EC until it gets fixed/made easier for people to play (something about fixing fortress maps so they are easier to win! Can you believe that?)

It's not perfect, I'll keep playing it my way, but it is neither a shining example of what pc gaming based 40k should be, or the worst thing in the world. What it does is make do for killing a couple of hours in a mildly entertaining fashion

Well after playing for over 20 hours on my friends account, I am not going to buy it, it was not ready for full release.

And the fact there was someone on their forums wanting people to leave positive reviews tells me all I need.

The steam review system is a disaster these days, everyone just uses it to push an agenda.

Your right though, I've seen nothing to say this wasn't pushed out the door half baked by the publishers demand.

Short sighted I'm sure.

Edited by Scribe

Not sure I get what you are saying.

I would take less skins, for a more polished release. I would have expected more stability in the game if they ate asking full price.

If they sold it as an acknowledged beta for $20? Sure.

You can't sell me on this for the same price as overwatch though, you just can't.

Or go outside the Genre, compare to Total War that I've also dropped something like 180 hours into.

Sorry but if I'm paying full price, I want it to work well, and be a finished product.

This simply isn't.

Ah basically fw at an open day said do you want a warlord titan or DA stuff, and loads of people put up their hands for the warlord. It started as a joke but the warlord came first, but really we could've done with the DA stuff as that was a bit more essential.

Same with this release, seriously the amount of people crying for wolves/eldar/orks (the warlord) got unbearable. But they also complained about gameplay (the da stuff).

My opinion is they rushed out the factions to appease the people before really working on what needed to be done.

Not that it's stopping me playing the game, as I get a bit of enjoyment out of it, and im consistently getting a reasonable score per game I play, and they're slowly fixing game play issues, but still on top of this theyre still releasing visuals/sorting prizes for unknown contests. Priorities clearly aren't something they have a list of

Bought this game yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it. Obviously there is work that needs doing, and dear God-Emperor please can the fix CC, the controls are so clunky. That said, I've played all factions, and played against all factions and so far I have few real complaints (other than CC). Looking forwards to Termis, but they had best be FLC!

I'm looking  for people to play with, so if anyone is interested add account name 'raetok' on steam? I'm going as Perturabo at the moument so that might pop up too...

Bought this game yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it. Obviously there is work that needs doing, and dear God-Emperor please can the fix CC, the controls are so clunky. That said, I've played all factions, and played against all factions and so far I have few real complaints (other than CC). Looking forwards to Termis, but they had best be FLC!

I'm looking for people to play with, so if anyone is interested add account name 'raetok' on steam? I'm going as Perturabo at the moument so that might pop up too...

I play casually steam name is theblackcat0 (shared computer with the better half so you'll see it appear on a good old variety of things)

Run as a night lord called Helterskelter, more often than not found either manning a predator, vindicator or on a wall or bridge somewhere with my beloved autocannon

I'm going to try and get back into this....

I'll go for an Ultramarine ranged dude, or shoot for a Chaos Sorc of some sort. How equal are the classes? Is one far superior to the other?

Edited by Prot

I'm looking for people to play with, so if anyone is interested add account name 'raetok' on steam? I'm going as Perturabo at the moument so that might pop up too...

I play casually steam name is theblackcat0 (shared computer with the better half so you'll see it appear on a good old variety of things)

Run as a night lord called Helterskelter, more often than not found either manning a predator, vindicator or on a wall or bridge somewhere with my beloved autocannon

Just added you

I'm going to try and get back into this....

I'll go for an Ultramarine ranged dude, or shoot for a Chaos Sorc of some sort. How equal are the classes? Is one far superior to the other?

Eldar is OP. Immensely so. Orks are frustratingly broken in some ways (their melee animations make no sense, and they can have almost twice the survivability of a Space Marine), but extraordinarily underpowered in others. Chaos is probably the most balanced factions, and Sorcerors are very good. Loyalist Space Marines are sadly the most underpowered faction by a long-shot, and I wouldn't recommend playing as them.

The game in general can be fun, but I will echo others in saying that Space Marine was a better version of this. Had Space Marine included dedicated servers and friendly fire (to cut down on plasma spam), I would see no reason to play Eternal Crusade.

So I says to myself, I only play havoc I won't spend requisition til I can get one of them super boxe's.

Gets super box

Ooo mastercrafted autocannon, maybe recoil drop for 100lp more than using my original

Nope it's just silver

Feck it I'll buy abaddons grace with my RTC...

I slated this game originally, but how is it faring now? Would you say that the game is ready for release, or could it use far more polishing? At a glance the launch trailer looked alright, although I could see jittery animations, textures popping and the trailer itself was a mess on the presentation (audio largely being an issue there).

I slated this game originally, but how is it faring now? Would you say that the game is ready for release, or could it use far more polishing? At a glance the launch trailer looked alright, although I could see jittery animations, textures popping and the trailer itself was a mess on the presentation (audio largely being an issue there).

My view is that it's a larger space marine at the moment. There's a lot of refining to do, and some invariable whinging to get through but it is baby stepping in the right direction. There's lag issues still, but I'm finding in a 2 hour sitting I have some fun and am scoring consistently.

The human element needs working on because a lot of people seem to not want to work together, so it takes you longer to solo what you had wanted to get achieved 10 minutes previous, that 5 of you working together could have smashed

My view is that it's a larger space marine at the moment. There's a lot of refining to do, and some invariable whinging to get through but it is baby stepping in the right direction. There's lag issues still, but I'm finding in a 2 hour sitting I have some fun and am scoring consistently.

The human element needs working on because a lot of people seem to not want to work together, so it takes you longer to solo what you had wanted to get achieved 10 minutes previous, that 5 of you working together could have smashed

That isn't too bad then; hopefully by the time they've launched the game on console it'll be doing a bit better. They really need to step their game up when it comes to advertising, though.

I am still in high hopes for this game. I have 25 friends (internet based though they may be) in an online gaming community who play planetside2. We are basically an imperial guard themed force who yell things like "for the Emperor" and use RP terminology when in squad chat.

I really hope this game explores the wider aspect of "free roam" like we were promised. the ability to fight/pick and chose a deployment zone against varying forces and enjoy it in the lore of 40k with massive amounts of allies and enemies Waring on at one another.

To do a Thunderhawk drop on a force or green skins or hold the line against an Eldar ambush would be too much for the excitement center of my brain to handle. I would however like abit of variety, not just 3rd person only game play fut fps too, plus more armor types styles and designs to add that "unique" feel to your astartee. I loved space marine and still play (Steam name Avenger117) for nay interested.. I liked the freedom to chop jump and smash orks and oomies to bits but it felt very.........undiginified. more like being a Khorne bezerker forced to fight in a very compact environment where the enemy display no real use of tact's and where you allies are all jumping around stealing all the bloomin grenades!. 

I played this game for about 300 hours before and after "release" and am taking a break until I see some improvements.

Like most early-access games the development process sky-rocketed from Alpha straight to Launch due to pressure from the Publisher.

Features and balance were still being added / fixed just days before launch so you can imagine that right now the game exists in sort of a broken state.

The community-building features of the game are extremely minimal and considering this is supposed to be a very community-based faction warfare game it's mind-boggling they didn't put more community-building things in game like public chat / recruiting channels and an easy way to build and manage groups without having to disband warparty, quit game, add everyone on steam, then reboot the game and reform.

On top of the poor community experience balance is all over the place with Space Marines getting stomped by chaos and the xenos left and right.

I'd say give the game a wide berth for a few months for the devs to sort things out and the game to settle down. They are working really hard and release weekly updates but I'm not sure if it's enough or not.

Time-will-tell

Edited by Duymon

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought this game today, it's installing as I'm typing this. Shame that the balance is, from what I hear, a bit wibbly wobbly, but hopefully as the game grows it'll improve. Also it's a buy-once-play-forever game as oposed to a subscription model, so that's a win in my book. If there's one thing that annoyed me about FFXIV, it's the fact it's a subscription service.

I hope they add more factions. Inquisition/SoB anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

So there is no Deathwatch even in appearance?

I'm still finding the game rough but I haven't honestly been able to stand more than a few minutes in it.

I ended up in a skirmish, sneaking up on a chaos guy and unloading several seconds of shells into him ,he turned around and shot me dead super quick with his bolter.... I don't know if it's a pay to win thing, but that felt pretty weird. I still don't know if... working as intended or not?