Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Temporary/removable liquid paint coverer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

farfromsam

farfromsam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
Okay, awkward title, I know, but a while back I watched a how to airbrush video that showed a product that you applied on a painted area that you did not want painted with a different color. Then, after you were finished painting the surrounding area, you could remove the coating quickly and easily with a tooth pick and end up with two separate colors.

Now, I figured the hobby shop guy would know what I was talking about when I described it. He didn't. Then I tried to Google it, and found I don't have the words to describe it. So, I come to you all in hope someone can piece together my babble and offer a recommendation.

Thanks ffs

Carlson793

Carlson793

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,281 posts
  • Chapter Name: Adeptus Mechanicus

I think what you're looking for is called liquid mask. Google is turning up a large number of sites about it/selling it, but I didn't sort through the various applications/uses to find a modeling version.

EDIT: Ahh, here's a hobby related forum post about it, looking for the 'best' product.

Edited by Carlson793, 02 May 2016 - 11:12 PM.

• Ulfgrim Alvsbane likes this

Decal sheet design service available via PM or Carlson's College of Arms and Graffiti. Self-print decal sheet questions? See Ye Olde Decal Project for more information. Also, see Winterdyne's Applying Waterslide Decals tutorial - it's essential! Need special models, bits, or terrain? See +++The Forges of Mars+++.

gallery_48988_10069_9252.pnggallery_48988_10069_890.pnggallery_48988_10069_12890.pnggallery_29004_10383_5969.pngETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_29004_10691_2146.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gif gallery_80588_10579_401.png

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 197 posts
  • Chapter Name: Legio XX

Farfromsam: you're looking for this:

http://www.amazon.co...ask Paint, 17ml

or this one (same thing) made by Humbrol:

http://www.amazon.co...=humbrol maskol

I use the Humbrol one and works fine, comes off easy off painted and non-painted surfaces

Ovidius Incertus

Ovidius Incertus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 991 posts
  • Chapter Name: Flesh Tearers

I use Vallejo's liquid mask. (You can also find the same product called liquid frisket.)  It works just fine, but be careful of scraping your underlying paint when you remove it and know that it can be a real pain in the rear to get out of recesses and details.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpg

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 553 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

All of the above are types of liquid latex; you can buy liquid latex by the gallon in costume stores around Halloween. Like seriously, I have a small bottle I bought at Hobby Lobby and for the same price I could get a bottle about 4 times larger at the costume store.

It ruins paint brushes pretty good if you don't get the latex out before it dries.

I haven't had any problems removing it from a model. It comes off with friction. I'll grab any pieces I can and pull them off slowly, and then I'll rub the area with my finger for a bit to remove most of the rest. Sometimes you have to use something pointy like a tooth pick to remove the last few pieces in a recess. I have some Deadzone terrain that I airbrushed using some of this, and it turned out pretty well.

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

Bung

Bung

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 301 posts

I haven't had any problems removing it from a model. It comes off with friction. I'll grab any pieces I can and pull them off slowly, and then I'll rub the area with my finger for a bit to remove most of the rest. Sometimes you have to use something pointy like a tooth pick to remove the last few pieces in a recess. I have some Deadzone terrain that I airbrushed using some of this, and it turned out pretty well.

Better use some Blue Tac or something like to remove the Liquid Mask so you wont touch the paint.

Another tip is apply it with a sponge like you would do some sponge chipping with color, that will get you some nice irregular scratches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users