Shooty Dark Angels

Keep in mind I haven't played for a long while and I have a very soft (easy) meta and am not a tourney player. With that said I always have at least two melee capable units, one is usually and Assault squad fully maxed with eviscerators and either some Black Knights or Deathwing Knights.

Actual shooting units I like to try and have a Tac Squad with a Dreadnought. I give the dread a Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer and with the attacks they actually make a decent drop pod combo with the tacs. Not the most efficient but they work well for me.

Dev's I like to give ML or Lascannon. Lastly my Command squad is full plasma. I like to run an Int Chappy with the Assault squad.

I don't think there is any other way to play DA than shooty because in assault despite not being slouches, we have no Deathstar units.

So basically any DA army will be predominantly shooty despite having some assault units to counterassault or mop up.

Now the thing is you can choose between many shooty methods.

You can have the standard CAD, the Shooty mech Lion blade, the shooty drop pod Lion blade, the shooty Ravenwing, the shooty Dualwing,etc.

Any force you make will have strong shooting elements especially because of our improved overwatch...

I don't think there is any other way to play DA than shooty because in assault despite not being slouches, we have no Deathstar units.

So basically any DA army will be predominantly shooty despite having some assault units to counterassault or mop up.

Now the thing is you can choose between many shooty methods.

You can have the standard CAD, the Shooty mech Lion blade, the shooty drop pod Lion blade, the shooty Ravenwing, the shooty Dualwing,etc.

Any force you make will have strong shooting elements especially because of our improved overwatch...

Absolutely correct Lucifer, DA are very shooty now with amazing defending overwatch. 

My group tends to play large games, so my tactics may vary from the norm but I have had great results running  the Lion's blade with elements of Deathwing, Ravenwing and Scout Support with my Battle Company. The synergy is amazing, and it only gets better the bigger the game gets. 

I know speeders compliment bikes well because of the mobility and what not, I just don't like the inherent brittle armor you get with them. I don't have any LS models yet and I really don't plan on buying too many. 

I'm kinda half way between allying TFCs or getting 3 Predators. Allying TFCs would be cool because I could make the HQ a Librarian and give him prescience to help out with accuracy. 

Right now I'm going the Rhino/Razorback route for my tactical  squads. I can see Predators fitting in well but they really don't put out that many shots. 

Support squad having double 2+ jink is the dogs danglies, the Typhoon configuration can saturate infantry targets like you wouldn't believe while the rockets in single fire mode make holes in armour. 

It has Scout, Interceptor, strafing run and overwatch and can be taken as an Aux choice for the Demi

Verses 3 Tanks with paper thin side armor of 11 & rear 10 in a Formation which has a large footprint and snap fires 2 out of 3 guns if it moves?

Or your taking an ally with associated points tax, in their defense TFC are pretty useful but static and are prone to getting picked on, like any tactic your needing some redundancy with them so at least 2 in separate units so your ally is now growing to 2 troops + HQ.

Your best option ally wise is something like an Imp Knight with Gatling & Battle cannon + Storm spear rockets

Prey, i cant tell you how much i rely on my typhoon landspeeders, they are honestly the first bit of kit i write in an army list.

The rw attack squadren at min size is an ls and an attack bike. Give it a mm. Shoot ls s8 krak missiles 2 shots, first and then your mm hits on a 2+.

Can someone cleanup if the ls hit has to hit to gain bs5 or does it have to wound/glance/penetrate?

If you really want to try some shooty with a bit of possible melee.  A Lion's blade with allied Imperial Knights at higher points levels could be a great combination.  I've also considered this idea with a Ravenwing Strike Force and the Imperial knights.  Makes for some great strong durable shooting.

A double demi-company can easily be fielded with an Imperial Knight at 1500 points.  You should take a pack of scouts to pay your tax to get your full BS overwatch.

I didn't have much love for land speeders at first but they are definitely proving their worth. As SnakeChisler said, a squad of typhoons can easily saturate most units with fire.  The other option would be to double up on the heavy bolters and for 55 points per model, you have a cheap, fairly survivable meat shield AND.... throw in a dark shoud for your 2+ re-rollable jink save.

For the Ravenwing Attack Squad, the rules state that the LS must "score one or more hits..." Since we have a "roll to hit", that should be all that is required to confer the bonus to the rest of the formation.  Also, LS in the RAS will get the scout special rule.  LS in the Ravenwing Support Squadron do not get scout but instead they get Interceptor, Strafing Run and Ravenshield.

A double demi-company can easily be fielded with an Imperial Knight at 1500 points.  You should take a pack of scouts to pay your tax to get your full BS overwatch.

I didn't have much love for land speeders at first but they are definitely proving their worth. As SnakeChisler said, a squad of typhoons can easily saturate most units with fire.  The other option would be to double up on the heavy bolters and for 55 points per model, you have a cheap, fairly survivable meat shield AND.... throw in a dark shoud for your 2+ re-rollable jink save.

For the Ravenwing Attack Squad, the rules state that the LS must "score one or more hits..." Since we have a "roll to hit", that should be all that is required to confer the bonus to the rest of the formation.  Also, LS in the RAS will get the scout special rule.  LS in the Ravenwing Support Squadron do not get scout but instead they get Interceptor, Strafing Run and Ravenshield.

Those are some excellent special rules that I hadn't considered at all. I'll have to do some list building and see what I can come up with.

Thanks you all for the responses!

Consider keeping all your squads small, MSU is a real advantage when you have limited CC ability.

If you do go for a shooty style then try to keep all your squads separated enough that only one can be assaulted effectively at a time. Although we have great overwatch it's still better to only lose one unit at a time.

I too support the RW Support Sqn as a fantastic unit :tu:

As others have said, the RWSS is a solid formation. Pretty sure it gets Scout too Epher as the DShroud has it normally.

Another option if you want to take a Thunderfire cannon with your Demi Co is a vanilla armoured task force. You can squeeze in 3 Thunderfire cannons (units, so nine cannons if you really wanted). Its a really good option actually if you want a few predators/vindicators/whirlwinds to support a mechanised Demi Co but don't want the pay for a Landraider to do it. Plus the obvious benefits of not having to sink 4 vehicle's worth of shots in 1 target, the Armoured Task Force can continue the MSU theme of a Razorback double demi and allow you to micro manage your targeting.

So if I am utilizing the Double Demi... doesn't it benefit me to try to fit in a RAS as well since the RWSS has the Ravenshield special rule?

I am planning on doing MSU for most of my Tacs, I thought it would be a good idea to still have 2 squads of 10 in rhinos though.

PhilB, Good points on the Armored Task Force, I was considering that as well.

Archived