The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

A bit more progress this weekend. It takes a tone of time in between layers so its slow going. But its shaping up.

med_gallery_2327_11680_360713.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_274552.jpeg

And an overall size comparison:

med_gallery_2327_11680_698584.jpeg

My first try at this one I realized it was almost getting photorealistic, not in an "omg this is so good way" but a "why is there a bird slapped on the front of this thing" way. So I chopped most of the detail down again and pushed more towards a stylized approach that would fit the vehicle and imperial design schemes.

The angry brows need to be redone, I'm contemplating chopping the while brow/eye structure off, flattening it like the top to get the angles and surfaces right and building them out again in an angular way. Almost like the eagle from the aquila strongpoint, we'll see. The other option I thought was to flatten like i said but then rather than building out again, just painting the eyes on like a WW2 plane (in a more nordic style ofc).

The swirly on the beak was a shot in the dark of what i should do, I think its a miss though. Im thinking of using plasticard to do a relief design. Plenty to do before finishing touches like that though.

I'm liking where it going but what do we think, on the right track here or silly like some of my hater friends?

• 1 month later...

Quick update, haven't had the time i need to really get going on stuff. Last two Wulfen (for now):

This guy may be my favorite so far haha. He needs a lot more work obviously but he's getting there. More cloak work, a bit more scruff to make him a bit more lupine but the body language is exactly where i wanted it.

med_gallery_2327_11680_630098.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_6962.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_165795.jpeg

This guy is basically done, a little cleanup on the knee and finishing the base and he'll be good to go.

med_gallery_2327_11680_176543.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_462917.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, haven't had the time i need to really get going on stuff. Last two Wulfen (for now):

This guy may be my favorite so far haha. He needs a lot more work obviously but he's getting there. More cloak work, a bit more scruff to make him a bit more lupine but the body language is exactly where i wanted it.

Where's this guy's head from? I love that beard. It kind of looks like Garek from Shadespire....

Where's this guy's head from? I love that beard. It kind of looks like Garek from Shadespire....

You nailed it! I just added a bit more hair to his head, beard and eyebrows to wolf him out. Liberal use of the knife and dremel to get it ready. He's done now but its not in the pic but i added longer canines too.

You nailed it! I just added a bit more hair to his head, beard and eyebrows to wolf him out. Liberal use of the knife and dremel to get it ready. He's done now but its not in the pic but i added longer canines too.

Aha! I had a feeling :laugh.: That's one of my favorite bearded heads, I was planning on using it for one of my own Imperial Fists successors (very Celtic chapter). Glad to see another conversion that shows it looks good on a Marine-sized model.

How difficult was it to remove Garrek’s head without damaging the beard?

Edited by Gederas

Aha! I had a feeling :laugh.: That's one of my favorite bearded heads, I was planning on using it for one of my own Imperial Fists successors (very Celtic chapter). Glad to see another conversion that shows it looks good on a Marine-sized model.

I mean.....his body is NOT recoverable....

Seriously though it was pretty easy using my dremel with a razor wheel. I sort of just chopped both arms then cut down behind his head essentially going behind the beard. I cleaned it up with regular hobby knife afterwards.

Going slow and safe made it not terribly hard i'd say. I'm a crusty old man though (in spirit) and cut me teeth doing these types of conversions in pewter so this stuff is rainbows and unicorns.

WiP Wulfen:

gallery_2327_11680_66922.jpeg

He's getting there but I wanted a sanity check. Again I'm going for that horror Eye of Terror campaign look:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/wulfen-horz.jpeg

He's still gotta get a bunch of details to get squared away, weathering, etc. But I think he's looking how I want generally color wise. It's certainly a different take from what I've seen done by people but I just can't ignore the EoT art. I assume it'll be sort of divisive since I'm trying to play up the idea that its NOT great to be a wulfen, it's a horror vs. the semi romanticized CoTW art.

What do we think, am I on the right track?

FPS your work is freaking amazing

I personally dont like the blue as it makes me think he is undead (ghoul...wight...etc.) but if your goal was to bring the source image to life you nailed it.

That rip over the right knee...magnificent...sums up your attention to little details right there

Edited by TiguriusX

FPS your work is freaking amazing

I personally dont like the blue as it makes me think he is undead (ghoul...wight...etc.) but if your goal was to bring the source image to life you nailed it.

That rip over the right knee...magnificent...sums up your attention to little details right there

Thanks dude that critique is what I'm looking for. You think adding a bit more warmer color would help the look? I don't want to change it too much, but if peoples reaction is that its "off" I want to fix it.

As a *poorly skilled hobby/artist person I don't have any suggestions to change it.

One of the hardest aspects of the hobby side for me is I can't imagine/project what things will look like before they are done or how to achieve my desired result

I do a TON of internet research to see actual examples before I commit to paint schemes etc.

I will give gladly give you feedback if you do some mock ups or proposals to show off

I have seen tons of wulfen projects online and people tend to think darker is better instead of bright if that helps you at all

Edited by TiguriusX

I hear ya. FWiW the way I paint skin I try to emulate actual skin, so many translucent layers. In this example I did an ulthuan grey base, then glazed it with super thin layers of fleshtone, nightshade, and bit of crimson then purple around the eyes. Then I make a glaze out of the ulthuan grey and do a bunch of slow transparent highlights and slowly mix in pallid witch flesh. 

So it wouldnt be a chore to do another glaze pass with the fleshtone. It would keep him pretty gaunt but maybe add a bit of a more "life".

Edited by FearPeteySodes

I mean.....his body is NOT recoverable....

Seriously though it was pretty easy using my dremel with a razor wheel. I sort of just chopped both arms then cut down behind his head essentially going behind the beard. I cleaned it up with regular hobby knife afterwards.

Going slow and safe made it not terribly hard i'd say. I'm a crusty old man though (in spirit) and cut me teeth doing these types of conversions in pewter so this stuff is rainbows and unicorns.

His body wasn't needed. Good to know though. Thanks for giving the process of getting his head and beard away from his body :laugh.:

Also, I'm going to also agree: Give him some fleshshade, as right now he looks a bit too Vampire/Ghoulish/Eiffel65 :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Wulfen were vexing me so i switch gears:

med_gallery_2327_11680_25278.jpeg

Pretty close to done here but They get some heavy weathering so that'll be fun. You'll notice no beaks lol, I didnt have time to perfect it before a tournament next weekend so i tore it off. Luckily the thing is built the way it is because I can always perfect and paint it later and glue it on. As it is though Im pretty happy with these babies.

med_gallery_2327_11680_355298.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_365617.jpeg

Whipping up a display board while im at it too. I didnt think id finish it either but its going really well. A few more things to do to finish the build but it should (has to) be painted by tomorrow.