The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

First, I have to point out the obvious: holy cow that’s already looking great!

But second, to the style you’re trying to nail, did you even try googling “Sci-fi Old Norse saga illumination”? I’m sure there are lots of examples.

Of course, I’m kidding. I actually googled it and there was nothing any more useful than the inspiration you already posted, but I love what you came up with. I think you got it right. Now if anyone follows in your footsteps and try’s to paint Sci-fi Old Norse saga illuminations, their google search should lead to this thread.

Haha thanks! I didn't google anything other than the actual historical illuminations, I kind of assumed I'm the weird one doing these things. The old Bjorn banner/sarcophagus is the only other reference I was able to use, but even that is more oldhammer than norse inspired.

Thanks brothers!

Main body is done!

gallery_2327_11680_928419.jpeg

Im happy how he turned out! Just need to do the guns but they are mostly done as well. I was messing around by adding steam/smoke to the shells in the snow and i think it looks pretty cool! Im thinking about adding some smoke on the barrels too, something subtle and not overbearing. We'll see!

gallery_2327_11680_8643.jpeg

Banner turned out how i planned as well. I think it's pretty true to the style! It was a challenge but I'm glad I tried it. :)

Hope i can knock the guns out tonight to get to the sicaran to wrap the vow!

Thanks! I haven't played that though but looking it up i see what you mean! I was mostly inspired by the general iron halo aesthetic but also wanting to bring as many textures (bone here) into the model as possible. Its one of my favorite aspects of the wolves.

Dude. It’s coming along great! I love the banner, and (as always) the painting is truly top notch. I really like the smoke/steam from the shells. Did you use cotton?

Yup, cotton swabs! I swear i had tested just using a dab of glue and doing a "touch and pull" method a ways back but it resulted in way too much material. Had to pull it apart and attach it in small bits then teased it up with white glue.

I think my fingers are going to be fuzzy for a few weeks...

Ok, this guys done!

gallery_2327_11680_299884.jpeg

gallery_2327_11680_323463.jpeg

gallery_2327_11680_218156.jpeg

Im unsure about the steaming barrels still but im going to leave it as is for now. I'm pretty satisfied with him the RG dread was a gamble but i love it.

Got a good start on the sicaran as well! Trying to finish my vow this week to allow some build time to get another going!

gallery_2327_11680_15987.jpeg

That dread turned out even more amazing than I expected.

Dude, I gotta say, your painting/modeling really inspires me.

I’m in the process of moving to from mainland U.S. to Alaska for a new job right now (currently on the road in Canada with the family and a U-Haul - ugh), but when I get there I hope to start painting my collection in earnest and putting the tide of grey plastic soldiers to the brush. I’ll definitely be referring to this thread for a lot of inspiration.

Thanks! Depends on the location, but usually I paint the rune a dark grey. After that I hit it with VGC Electric blue real slow and small from the airbrush. After that I thin some white and paint in the rune itself then do a ~50/50 mix of the blue and white and paint the edges.

If the rune is in a spot where a soft glow in the surroundings area doesn’t make sense, I skip the airbrush step and just drybrush the blue really slowly wit a makeup brush. Rest of the steps are the same though.

Edited by PeteySödes

The Dreadnought looks AWESOME!

Indeed.

And with all those trophies and the huge banner his presence is felt on the battleground. Even from a Distance.

...if you are ever bored or out of ideas, I'd like to see a conversion of the Marine in that Dreadnought in his prime ;D

Petey, I love your leather banners work, they are incredibly unique in my eyes, and they fit the aesthetic for the Wolves so well! (They deserve to be copied by those that could actually make them as well as you - ie, not by me.)

The Dread is fantastic, I think you could actually make that smoke a little more beefy (maybe join the strands coming out of the ports and the bore together) and it would sell it a bit more. Those are large caliber pretty rapidly firing weapons, I’d expect more bore exhaust than the small whisps you have now (not a ton, maybe double or so).

No matter what, you pulled a beautiful piece together and that guy is probably a beast to plop down on the table (as a Space Wolf Contemptor should be).

Love your work Petey, thanks for the rune advice. Good to see you up on Spikey Bits too! https://spikeybits.com/2019/07/of-wolf-men-space-wolves-armies-on-parade.html

Ooh I didn’t see that one, thanks for pointing it out!

Just got back from Slaughterhouse where I went 3-2! Super happy with that honestly. Had my first win against 8th ed Eldar in there too haha. I’ll try to do a write up tomorrow but all in all a great weekend.

I WILL get that Sicaran done this week...

Pretty close here, goal is to get it ready for weathering by tomorrow night. That means most of the details, metallics, the added wolfy bits, and some design work. Almost a shame to wreck it, I can almost smell the Mars freshness...

gallery_2327_11680_1521799.jpeg

gallery_2327_11680_79437.jpeg

Beautiful work and yes, it seems a shame to smash it around a bit. Where did you get the spear tips from???

Thanks!

The marauder horsemen kit! I got them for the heads but it’s not the first time I’ve salvaged other bits from it. Shafts are thicker gauge floral wire and the pieces holding them are styrene plastic.

Edited by PeteySödes

Excellent work Brother:thumbsup: The spears are a very nice touch.

Thanks for showing it straight out of the STC..... all shinny and bright:wub: ..... but I'm sure it will look extra cool after it's baptism of fire:yes: