The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

Haha yea definitely don't want him looking like a potato! Not a ton of work this weekend but i was able to grind out a bit while doing Armies on Parade, I got gold so that was awesome! I had been wanting to participate since they only had them at Games Days but I never had enough to show (or was unable to go) so winning was pretty great.

gallery_2327_11680_775590.png

Still taking shape, i think ive got the proportions about right so i tried some details that wouldn't impede anything. Im happy so far. Im hoping tonight i can really clean up that cowl once and for all to be done with it.

You’re an artist of the highest caliber, I can’t heap enough praise on your work. This project is shaping up beautifully and already looks good. I have to ask, how do you do the fine detail work with the green stuff (just looking at the ear in the one close up of the head).

You’re an artist of the highest caliber, I can’t heap enough praise on your work. This project is shaping up beautifully and already looks good. I have to ask, how do you do the fine detail work with the green stuff (just looking at the ear in the one close up of the head).

Thanks brother! It's not too much different than other things or when i describe my freehand process. I try and break it down into component shapes. The ear is small but not too crazy. I guess i try to think of the bits that make it recognizable.

In this case i made a tiny oval of GS and just stuck it vaguely where it's supposed to be. I hit it with a ball tip tool and made the ear ridge and canal followed up with a silicon tipped tool to smooth the bit that connects to the head. It took some back and forth teasing to get right but all in all not the worst. TBH i'm shocked it turned out ok and was as painless as it was.

Thanks guys! Shield is on the way, im just trying to figure how if im going to try to replicate the weird plasma coil looking detail on the shield. If i do it i know how im going to approach it but am still deciding if its a case where i may take some artistic license.

Have you got one of those tentacle maker devices, you could do the coils that way.

A cheap alternative if you do not, is to get a fine tooth comb and roll some gs over it, might give you the coil look you are going for. Once cured you can chop to suit what you need it for.

Yea I have several but the actual anvil shield is a different shape actually. My planned approach is sandwiching layers of shaped thin plasticard at this point if I go for it.

The reason I wouldn’t is like I said before taking artistic license. As much as I love the grey slayer shield design I haven’t been 100% happy with that same “plasma cross” element when it reached the paint phase. I just don’t know what it’s trying to convey.

The only element you really need to retain is the anvil I think, as it is the Anvil Shield.

If you do go for the plasma coils, then do not paint them as plasma. GW don't.

Go for a flame effect like you did with Logans axe. However paint that in the grooves and the raised coils could be done in a nice brass or copper colour. Almost like a brazier... Representing the flames of forging and the fire of Arjacs wrath rather than, rather than the ice cold rage of Fenris.

It would also tie him in nicely with Logan, considering he is , his champion

Edited by Dantay VI

Yea I have several but the actual anvil shield is a different shape actually. My planned approach is sandwiching layers of shaped thin plasticard at this point if I go for it.

The reason I wouldn’t is like I said before taking artistic license. As much as I love the grey slayer shield design I haven’t been 100% happy with that same “plasma cross” element when it reached the paint phase. I just don’t know what it’s trying to convey.

I think it's trying to pick up on these sorts of details from other Wolf Guard shields

space-marine-wolf-guard-terminator-storm

one suggestion is to keep the cross but lose the coils, with runes inside it instead, like so

s-l300.jpg

The only element you really need to retain is the anvil I think, as it is the Anvil Shield.

If you do go for the plasma coils, then do not paint them as plasma. GW don't.

Go for a flame effect like you did with Logans axe. However paint that in the grooves and the raised coils could be done in a nice brass or copper colour. Almost like a brazier... Representing the flames of forging and the fire of Arjacs wrath rather than, rather than the ice cold rage of Fenris.

It would also tie him in nicely with Logan, considering he is , his champion

Hmm, i already hallowed out the grooves in the "cross" design. I wonder if i could do like a grating with coals underlighting the anvil. Using the same fiery palette to link the two as you say. That could be fun.

Been a while since I was here so there is an absolute ton of stuff you've been doing.

Congrats on the armies on parade and that Tournament looks like so much fun. How great is it that you teamed up with Erik Morkai?

So I can see you've surpassed the level of using existing sculpts and now you just make your own. Good luck with Arjac.

Been a while since I was here so there is an absolute ton of stuff you've been doing.

Congrats on the armies on parade and that Tournament looks like so much fun. How great is it that you teamed up with Erik Morkai?

So I can see you've surpassed the level of using existing sculpts and now you just make your own. Good luck with Arjac.

Thanks man! Yea the team battle was really fun, we were looking forward to teaming up the whole time and had written our narratives to reflect it!

I don't expect i'll be fully sculpting an entire army or anything but it's been a fun project for sure!

Converting/making new Arjac? I´m all about teleporting hammers and towershields.

As for ideas, why not take idea for shield from that old codex art where Arjac is bashing chaos marines, like in here http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hC1gWH0tM5o/T4f5feWvqXI/AAAAAAAAAb0/SDO-l9DJYxg/s1600/Arjac+Artwork.png

could be round shield, but bigger he usually has, or more of towershield of sorts.