The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

Grey hunters are awesome. Don't like blueish grey personally, but this looks great with all that battle-damage\weathering. I'll definitly steal couple of photos to learn from them.

Thanks! Let me know what techniques you'd want and i can certainly share how i do stuff! Most of it i get from other people around here anyways! :yes:

DAMN, the hammer-wielding Dreadnought looks impressive. Did you name him "Thor"? The hammer's shape resembles that of Mjolnir, in Viking religious icons.

Hah thats not a coincidence, I actually modeled it after the one I wear around my neck! A thorzius arcanum if you will... and if you won't too bad I'm practicing my Dad jokes.

But yea I was tossing around the idea of naming him Vingthor or Atli (reference to thor from literature) the Grim.

This is brilliant! I think these are the best wolves I've seen on here.  Loving the conversions and the paintjobs.

I'd really appreciate some technique advice.  What colours do you use for your armour and pads? Ta!

Thats a hell of a compliment thank you!

For the armor I use Vallejo Dark Sea Blue as a base coat then sort of do a top down spray coat of Vallejo French Mirage blue. If theres any spots that are too bright I'll do a small glaze or light wash with Citadel drakenhof nightshade. After that I'll layer up from the French mirage blue to an edge highlight of citadel fenrisian grey.

For the armor damage I do an extremely unscientific mix of black and stormvermin fur or skavenblight dinge applied with pluck foam then highlighted underneath again with fenrisian grey.

Wow, I didn't expect that at all.  They look a lot more grey than blue in the photos.  Is that French Mirage Blue more grey than 'The Fang'?  It looks so in this chart:  It also seems the Dark Sea Blue isn't that blue?

The reason I ask is that I was going to do mine in a neutral grey, but I'm reconsidering now after seeing yours!

Its definitely paler than the fang, not sure about strictly speaking more grey.

VLJ00070900_1_l.jpg

The Dark sea blue ends up painting on like an interesting dark grey navy with almost some green tones. It's a really beautiful color.

VLJ00070898_0_l.jpg

But i think thats why I like how mine look, its not a flat grey but they're certainly not 2nd ed baby blue.

Edited by FearPeteySodes

There's some great stuff here!

Love the green stuff work on the faces and facial hair. I saw those wulfen of yours and felt like I really recognised them. I then saw the art work and realised I recognised them from that. So you have clearly done a great job of capturing the feel of those wulfen pictures.

You've got a really strong style going for you here. It's brilliant.

Thanks a ton Krakendoomcool, I was able to check your stuff out too and I love it!

Just got back from the Adepticon Team Tournament from last weekend it was really great. The Wolves did some solid work even without a codex, personally finishing with 4 wins and 1 loss, overall team was 3-1-1. The loss was in the final round against the team that won best generals (nasty Ynarri/Craftworld) so no shame there IMO.

Our game 3 was actually streamed on Warhammer TV! It was an amazing set of games. I was on the side game unfortunately through luck of the draw so none of my models made it on the stream but I pop up in there twice haha. Pretty solid victory too, my game was a slugfest though the one in the video was more of a rout. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/242493424

Now that the display board is done I should be able to keep rocking on the army. I think up next is going to be painting my Bjorn and modeling my Iron Priest on a Thunderwolf.

• 2 weeks later...

The snow is the number one question anytime i take my stuff anywhere. I did a ton of research and used like 30 bases making swatches of what i saw around the internet until i found a method i liked. I feel like i should sell it...

It's kind of a two phase operation. The fluffy stuff goes on first and thats a mixture of elmers white glue and Woodland scenics soft flake snow. Its mixed to a point where its almost like a non-newtonian fluid, it will ball as you agitate it but then left alone will start to settle and "melt".

Second phase is the melted slush and can be done right after the first part or after its dried, I'm not terribly scientific about it. Thats just a mix of the same solt flake snow but this time with liquitex super heavy gloss gel medium. I just smear that around the edges of the fluffy snow but thats also what you'll see on the shoulder trim, boots, cloaks, etc. of my other models.

This is a Fenrisian secret though, much like the wolfen...

Sssssh! Ok i won't tell anyone else. So like a cornflour and water consistency.

I'm basically on the look out for a better snow method myself. My whole army has a basic(bad) snow. But I haven't put any snow on my Wolf Lords yet as I've been looking for something suitably better.

Do I have a pass to nick your method?...absolutly no idea if i can recreate it.

The clumping is particularly realistic. Especially on the tanks.

Just love that Razorback.

The fluffy stuff goes on first and thats a mixture of elmers white glue and Woodland scenics soft flake snow. Its mixed to a point where its almost like a non-newtonian fluid, it will ball as you agitate it but then left alone will start to settle and "melt".

This is the technique I use as well. I've always been happy with the results.

Going to step up my knot/gripping beast work on Skuld to practice for my FW order...

Having some larger tattoos myself I chuckled as this was my solution to planning a piece that would compliment the space. Whipped up a general mock up and will go for it working out the kinks on the model.

med_gallery_2327_11680_316085.jpeg

How have you guys done things like this? Do you just wing it or do you plan it out, did it work out?