GM LFG: DW into DH 2nd Ed/OW Adaptation

Hello.

Quote bomb for the reworked list Slipstreams came up with, and it's a pretty solid to test list it looks like:

Aptitudes Available:

• Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Agility, Intelligence, Perception, Willpower,

Fellowship,

• Offence, Finesse, Defence, Psyker, Tech, Knowledge, Leadership, Fieldcraft, Social

For Standard Aptitudes an Astartes should have, I feel that:

• Weapon Skill
  • Ballistic Skill
  • Strength OR Toughness
  • Willpower OR Intelligence

Would be the Baseline Aptitudes I'd give to Astartes that I'd shoot for.

Now, For Specialities:

Tactical:

• Leadership
  • Social
  • Fellowship

Assault:

• Finesse
  • Agility
  • Offence

Devastator:

• Perception
  • Finesse
  • Defence OR Offence

Apothecary:

• Intelligence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Perception

Librarian:

• Pskyer
  • Knowledge
  • Willpower

Techmarine:

• Tech
  • Intelligence
  • Toughness

Next up, Chapters (pick 2?). I've tried to make sure there is the least amount of overlap between the 3 Aptitudes a Speciality Gives and the 2 Choices presented by the Parent Chapter.

Dark Angels:

• Perception
  • Knowledge
  • Offence
  • Defence

White Scars:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Offence
  • Willpower

Space Wolves:

• Fieldcraft
  • Offence
  • Strength
  • Perception

Imperial Fists:

• Toughness
  • Defence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Offence

Blood Angels:

• Willpower
  • Agility
  • Fellowship
  • Intelligence

Iron Hands:

• Toughness
  • Tech
  • Knowledge
  • Intelligence

Ultramarines:

• Leadership
  • Fellowship
  • Perception
  • Intelligence

Salamanders:

• Fellowship
  • Knowledge
  • Defence
  • Toughness

Raven Guard:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Perception
  • Fieldcraft

All Told, thats a total of 9 Possible Aptitudes. It might be a lot but we're also dealing with Space Marines. It also lines up with your Initial total of 9 Aptitudes but does not give the Players Choice of a 10th. 

The Chapters themselves I tried to play to their "Stereotype" while also trying to avoid 2 Chapters having 100% the same Aptitudes up for grabs.

I'll think more on Skills and Talents as I'm not entirely sure what I want out of that just yet.

Character sheet link for Only War, the base system this conversion is going to use:

http://www.daemonstorm.com/article/2013/04/14/only-war-character-sheets

For +5 purposes for XP spent:
One +5 of player choice to place
Two +5's for Chapter benefits (already mentioned in DW 1E book)
Further +5's will be earned every 10,000 XP.

Name, Tier, Aptitude 1, Aptitude 2

Abhor the witch 2 Willpower Defense

Astartes weapon training   (Included Base)  

Astartes weapon specialization 3 Offense Ballistic Skill/ Weapon Skill

Bolter drill 2 Finesse Ballistic Skill

Call to Vengence 2 Fellowship Willpower

Death from above 2 Agility Finesse

Deathwatch training   (Included Base)  

Eye of vengence 3 Knowledge Ballistic Skill

Flesh Render 1 Offense Melee Skill

Hammer blow 2 Strength Offense

Killing strike 3 Willpower Offense

Signature Wargear 1 Fellowship leadership

Signature Wargear (master) 2 Fellowship leadership

Signature Wargear (hero) 3 Fellowship leadership

Stalwart defense 1 Intelligence Defense

Storm of Iron 1 Offense Ballistic Skill

Thunder Charge 2 Strength Agility

Unbowed and Unbroken 2 Fellowship leadership

Weapon-tech 3 Intelligence Tech

Wisdom of the Ancients 2 Intelligence Knowledge

Trained Skills

Awareness

Ciphers (chapter runes)

Climb

Common Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Deathwatch, Imperium and War)

Concealment

Drive (ground vehicles)

Forbidden Lore (xenos)

Literacy

Navigation (surface)

Scholastic Lore (Codex Astartes)

Silent move

Speak (Low Gothic, High Gothic)

Tracking

Basic Skills

Barter

Carouse

Charm

Command

Contortionist

Decieve

Disguise

Dodge

Evaluate

Gamble

Inquiry

Intimidate

Logic

Scruitiny

Search

Swim

Talents:

Ambidextrous,
Bulging Biceps,
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight),
Killing Strike,
Nerves of Steel,
Quick Draw,
Resistance (Psychic Powers),
True Grit
Unarmed Warrior

Traits:

Unnatural Strength x 2 / + 4,
Unnatural Toughness x 2 / + 4

---

Thoughts?

Edit: Changed out to the "proper" list of stuff, including things that are pregenerated per each Astartes; all of this can and will change as needed, seeing as this is a literal work in progress still.

The danger I see with this is that unlike acolytes or rogue trader crews which are by their nature quite varied and better represented by classless or starting package based characters, space marines are much more rigid in how they operate and thus are better represented by their current system of having choices based on their chapter, class and being part of the deathwatch.

That being said, I fully support a more updated system using improvements in the ruleset to fix things like full-auto. And ideally do something with the confusing mess that solo and squad modes are.

The danger I see with this is that unlike acolytes or rogue trader crews which are by their nature quite varied and better represented by classless or starting package based characters, space marines are much more rigid in how they operate and thus are better represented by their current system of having choices based on their chapter, class and being part of the deathwatch.

That being said, I fully support a more updated system using improvements in the ruleset to fix things like full-auto. And ideally do something with the confusing mess that solo and squad modes are.

While I agree that this has the potential to blow up in my face, there is the very real likelihood that someone important will see it and at least know what to do, or not to do, as the case may be.

That said as well, updating and modernizing the improvements such as house ruling things like FA being the newer variant and limited to six shots per weapon to stop wasting ammo might truly help.

As far as solo and squad mode, I'll have to think on that somehwat; not sure how I truly feel about it right now, and what thoughts will lead where as of yet.

Now that you have updated things it is a bit clearer where you are going with things. Will you take the aptitudes that affect xp cost for each skill and talent from only war? What about talents that are deathwatch specific? Is the list of all aptitudes the same as only war?

I am confused by what you are talking about with the +5? I know you are talking about stat improvements but otherwise I don't understand that section.

For unnatural abilities I think numbers are better than multiples. That way you can let people purchase more unnatural toughness or strength without completely breaking the game or have some chapters modify the + again without breaking the game.

Now that you have updated things it is a bit clearer where you are going with things. Will you take the aptitudes that affect xp cost for each skill and talent from only war? What about talents that are deathwatch specific? Is the list of all aptitudes the same as only war?

I am confused by what you are talking about with the +5? I know you are talking about stat improvements but otherwise I don't understand that section.

For unnatural abilities I think numbers are better than multiples. That way you can let people purchase more unnatural toughness or strength without completely breaking the game or have some chapters modify the + again without breaking the game.

In Only War, players receive a +5 or a career change for every 2,500 xp they earn; for Astartes, it's pretty seriously busted and flat out stupid how ludicrous the stats can get with such a fast set of bonuses as they advance. Each Chapter receives a base of two +5 % to any two fixed or choice of two stats; these additional +5's come from OW itself and the aforementioned line about a single +5 % per 2,500 xp earned. This is on top of the +5, +10, +15, and +20 stat advances allowed to each stat.

one +5 per every 10,000 xp might be too strict; that's something that I have to figure out over time.

As to your first question, yes, this is OW with a Deathwatch overlay and rules priority.

As to the x 2 or + 4: I love as a player the x 2, however, as you well say, that's pretty busted too. For the time being, it's going to be the + 4, subject to the fact that some Chapters may have or I will homebrew a + 1 Unnatural Strength or + 1 Unnatural Toughness as needed.

The entire idea here is to have as many fresh minds weigh in on this as are willing and to see what filters out as the result. Distilling lines of thinking that don't translate aren't great signs of communication, nor clear rules writing. That said, I'm sorry for not being clearer before; as of now, however, there should be a much clearer set of criteria in the OP as to what the idea is: a new set of Aptitudes that allow for the generic Space Marine, and then bring the individuals that go through the various training regimens to life on paper, as it were.

Edit: I would assume that the talents from DW can be readily translated into aptitude dependent tiered ones; that said, I know it's not clear yet, so, I'll try and figure something out as far as a translation guide goes here.

Sorry, for clarity's sake - do you intend to run a game using this, or are you seeking to work on the rules system collaboratively?

Both: this is both to make a new RPG system that will need some collaborative work to pull off, and there's a thread I have made, that references this post as the OOC game and rules design area for said thread.

OK. So we know where things stand. If it was just games design, I was going to offer to move it to the general Other Games or the Homegrown Rules sections since that's where it would belong.

Update: as there is now interest in where this can go, please feel free to stop by with ideas, from both player and GM perspective herein.

There's going to be some pretty broad and major changes, likely; that's going to be needed, and I will need to review the full range of aptitudes for clarity's sake.

DW Only War style is going to take a little bit to fully sort out; that said, anything DW only as far as Talents go should incline themselves towards Tier 1 through 3 levels of bonus. That is what will be guiding the XP costs for right now, unless otherwise is found to be needed.

Do you have a Google docs or something with all the changes you are looking at?

What can others do to help at this time?

The above is all I have; thus the issue.

The problem is figuring out what all the Chapter Aptitudes should be, as far as choose two of a selection of three. This just needs to be done; that's being overridden right now by my time with the below...

The other, more time consuming question is if WS, BS, Offense, Defense, and Toughness is a fair set of Aptitudes for all Astartes to have. If I may please ask someone to try and hammer out a fair set of Aptitude sets per the above paragraph, two to pick from a group of three, that'd be great; that would also free me to look at the core Aptitude set, which I think needs to be done to actually allow some freedom for character development, and might shift some things around, which I will provide notice of and alter the OP with, once done.

Do you have a Google docs or something with all the changes you are looking at?

What can others do to help at this time?

The above is all I have; thus the issue.

The problem is figuring out what all the Chapter Aptitudes should be, as far as choose two of a selection of three. This just needs to be done; that's being overridden right now by my time with the below...

The other, more time consuming question is if WS, BS, Offense, Defense, and Toughness is a fair set of Aptitudes for all Astartes to have. If I may please ask someone to try and hammer out a fair set of Aptitude sets per the above paragraph, two to pick from a group of three, that'd be great; that would also free me to look at the core Aptitude set, which I think needs to be done to actually allow some freedom for character development, and might shift some things around, which I will provide notice of and alter the OP with, once done.

How many total aptitudes do you want astartes to have?  That will tell you how many all should get if your "class" and chapter also give you some.

Aptitudes Available:

• Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Agility, Intelligence, Perception, Willpower,

Fellowship,

• Offence, Finesse, Defence, Psyker, Tech, Knowledge, Leadership, Fieldcraft, Social

• Weapon Skill
  • Ballistic Skill
  • Strength OR Toughness

Now, For Specialities:

Tactical:

• Leadership
  • Social
  • Fellowship

Assault:

• Finesse
  • Agility
  • Offence

Devastator:

• Perception
  • Finesse
  • Defence OR Offence

Apothecary:

• Intelligence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Perception

Librarian:

• Pskyer
  • Knowledge
  • Willpower

Techmarine:

• Tech
  • Intelligence
  • Toughness

Next up, Chapters (pick 2?). I've tried to make sure there is the least amount of overlap between the 3 Aptitudes a Speciality Gives and the 2 Choices presented by the Parent Chapter.

Dark Angels:

• Perception
  • Knowledge
  • Offence
  • Defence

White Scars:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Offence
  • Willpower

Space Wolves:

• Fieldcraft
  • Offence
  • Strength
  • Perception

Imperial Fists:

• Toughness
  • Defence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Offence

Blood Angels:

• Willpower
  • Agility
  • Fellowship
  • Intelligence

Iron Hands:

• Toughness
  • Tech
  • Knowledge
  • Intelligence

Ultramarines:

• Leadership
  • Fellowship
  • Perception
  • Intelligence

Salamanders:

• Fellowship
  • Knowledge
  • Defence
  • Toughness

Raven Guard:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Perception
  • Fieldcraft

All Told, thats a total of 9 Possible Aptitudes. It might be a lot but we're also dealing with Space Marines. It also lines up with your Initial total of 9 Aptitudes but does not give the Players Choice of a 10th. 

The Chapters themselves I tried to play to their "Stereotype" while also trying to avoid 2 Chapters having 100% the same Aptitudes up for grabs.

I'll think more on Skills and Talents as I'm not entirely sure what I want out of that just yet.

I didn't do classes.  But for the first foundings I have the following.

Assuming all marines get WS, BS, Offense, Defense, and Toughness

Iron Hands
Willpower
Intelligence
Tech

Ultramarines
Social
Leadership
Knowledge

Imperial Fists
Intelligence
Perception
Willpower

Salamanders
Fellowship
Strength
Tech

Raven guard
Finess
Fieldcraft
Agility

White Scars
Agility
Perception
Fieldcraft

Blood Angels
Agility
Finess
leadership

Dark Angels
Knowledge
Psyker
Perception

Space Wolves
Perception
Fellowship
Strength

With your list of starting aptitudes, I would definitely change some options for some chapters.  The aptitudes work really well for some chapters, others only 1 or 2 seem super important.

Yeah, I'll look into it more when I have the time. I made them pretty much independently of one another so there is an obvious lack of synergy for a few of them.

Aptitudes Available:

Fellowship,

• Weapon Skill
  • Ballistic Skill
  • Strength OR Toughness

Now, For Specialities:

Tactical:

• Leadership
  • Social
  • Fellowship

Assault:

• Finesse
  • Agility
  • Offence

Devastator:

• Perception
  • Finesse
  • Defence OR Offence

Apothecary:

• Intelligence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Perception

Librarian:

• Pskyer
  • Knowledge
  • Willpower

Techmarine:

• Tech
  • Intelligence
  • Toughness

Dark Angels:

• Perception
  • Knowledge
  • Offence
  • Defence

White Scars:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Offence
  • Willpower

Space Wolves:

• Fieldcraft
  • Offence
  • Strength
  • Perception

Imperial Fists:

• Toughness
  • Defence
  • Fieldcraft
  • Offence

Blood Angels:

• Willpower
  • Agility
  • Fellowship
  • Intelligence

Iron Hands:

• Toughness
  • Tech
  • Knowledge
  • Intelligence

Ultramarines:

• Leadership
  • Fellowship
  • Perception
  • Intelligence

Salamanders:

• Fellowship
  • Knowledge
  • Defence
  • Toughness

Raven Guard:

• Agility
  • Finesse
  • Perception
  • Fieldcraft

I didn't do classes.  But for the first foundings I have the following.

Assuming all marines get WS, BS, Offense, Defense, and Toughness

Iron Hands

Willpower

Intelligence

Tech

Ultramarines

Social

Leadership

Knowledge

Imperial Fists

Intelligence

Perception

Willpower

Salamanders

Fellowship

Strength

Tech

Raven guard

Finess

Fieldcraft

Agility

White Scars

Agility

Perception

Fieldcraft

Blood Angels

Agility

Finess

leadership

Dark Angels

Knowledge

Psyker

Perception

Space Wolves

Perception

Fellowship

Strength

Slipstreams, Black Cohort, thank you both for this wonderful pair of works.

I just want to say, the style of Slipstreams post is easy to read; that said, if some of the Aptitude choices can be tightened up better, then if it's alright I would be fine with brainstorming each set of info, and determine which is the more playable list.

As far as the Chapter Aptitudes in both cases, I wonder if we can just mix and match from both, and go with the fluffy choices to start, and work from there.

Further thoughts and input as always are welcome.

I would be fine with going with slipstreams entire list as is.  We can make changes later if something seems off.

do you still need someone to look at deathwatch specific talents and figure out which tier and what aptitudes they should have?

I would be fine with going with slipstreams entire list as is.  We can make changes later if something seems off.

do you still need someone to look at deathwatch specific talents and figure out which tier and what aptitudes they should have?

Okay, and yes please; there's a pretty good layout of Aptitudes for most Chapters and the Codex compliant ones should be fine, as far as Slipstreams' list goes above.

Again, yes: the talents in Deathwatch lend themselves to one interpretation in my mind, and that could be very different from another's. I'd love to have your input as well into this area.

Edit: The Skills list in the OP of this thread, is a master list combining skills from Deathwatch and Black Crusade in the prior test run of this idea.

Feedback, and a little book diving, might better reveal the ones that don't quite "fit" the Deathwatch standard.

I will try to work on something after i get home from work tomorrow.

Also are we wanting to mess with the whole cohesion/squad mode/ solo mode stuff?  I have always found that to be a huge pain to work with for little gain.  I get what they were trying to do, but there is so much bookkeeping for little return.

I'll see about Cohesion and Squad Mode / Solo Mode.

An "easy" fix to my mind would be: If the whole squad is within X meters of each other, they can use squad mode abilities.

If they are <X meters of each other, they may use solo mode abilities.

For Cohesion I don't have a real idea how to tackle it. I'd have to give it more thought since its not something that I've ever really seen come into play.

+++

For Skills and Talents I'll try and populate an Excel Sheet and group them into relevant groupings/sections alongside their individual Aptitudes and link it to y'all.

Archived