The Grand Old RPG Character Meta Thread

Olis

AKA story telling and character making. Yeah, it's a mouthful, I know. :P

Okay, short of starting up an RPG thread straight up off of the bat, I thought I'd start something easy where everyone can contribute. With the reopening of the RPG section, I think we could do well with a thread in the vein of 'Today in the hobby I...' except, you know, it'd be about what our character has done recently that is funny or impressive. Talking about what the NPC's (and the GMPC's) did or didn't do, spectacularly or otherwise, counts.

As it is, there won't be a terribly huge amount of traffic so I think discussions on character creation would fit well here, too. It is a meta thread after all. Maybe a passing GM would like to discuss a BBEG idea they've got. 

Or, let's be fair, maybe we've got an old tale or two about a long dead PC. Like that one time one of my players decided to make his character go for a space walk while his ship was in transit. In the warp. Yeah, that went about as well as you can imagine. :lol:

How about that time when my players used an orbital shuttle as a conker? Okay, that one was pretty funny at the time as you can imagine. ^_^

Have at it, brothers and sisters. Spin your yarns, recount glorious tales and lament deaths and defeats. Let's keep this one light-hearted, eh?

Conker? What's that?

I have some stories, just... can't likely post some here.

I do have a story about a certain Sister that angered the big =I= in setting so much that they put her on trial and would have killed her; the big E was with her, and saved her life where she should have died otherwise due to the weapon and amount of damage she would have taken. The fun part was seeing the looks on everyone's faces when she survived a melta shot to the dome; that was priceless.

Conker? What's that?

Whoops. I forgot 'Conkers' is mostly just a British thing. whistlingW.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

Suffice it to say, they gathered up a butt-load of heavy chains, lashed one end to a light orbital shuttle, lashed the other to a cargo conveyor and swung the former into buildings with the latter. Did I mention one of the players accidentally got on the shuttle prior to the building-smashing? Oh, I had some fun with him. :lol:

The first campaign I ever ran was a 1st ed dark heresy one and probably had my favorite single session. The motley crew of acolytes included a psyker whose solution to any problem was cast more powers with more dice, a arbiter who dual wielded bolters, a tech-priest who was obsessed with his sniper rifle, an assassin searching for the most flamboyant hat in the sector and a guardsman what was a walking armoury of weapons. These brave servants of the inquisition were tasked with removing the paranoid owner of a large orbital station who strangely believed that the inquisition was out to get him and had things set up to create problems for the inquisition if he was assassinated. In order to protect himself the target had assembled a large bodyguard including two blanks.

So after 3 hours of time at the table spent investigating and plotting the party had there plan. They would split up into 4 groups, with only the arbiter and psyker staying together. The plan would start with the assassin posing as a businessman wanting to meet with the target. During the meeting the tech-priest would cut power to the station, the guardsman would start a distraction by firing grenades into the bodyguards quarters and the last two would steal a shuttle. With the power and thus the void shields down, the assassin, who had previously gotten high quality lung augmentation, would draw a concealed power knife and stab the glass of the viewport sucking the entire room into hard space. The stolen shuttle would fly by piloted by the psyker with the arbiter tethered in the back to grab the assassin before he froze to death.

As the GM I was sceptical of the plan but knew that regardless of the outcome the attempt would be legendary. Somehow the dice gods smiled on the players and the plan went off without issues and they even managed to acquire a blank, whose service they would barter away in exchange for some debts and dubious conduct being forgiven.

Archived