Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

handling dice rolling in PBP games here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Black Cohort

Black Cohort

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts
In my experience with play by post games, it is far easier and fair to everyone when all dice rolling can be done in the gameplay thread. How do people plan on handling the dice rolling aspect of rpgs here on B&C?
Follow the link to help make "A Better 40k"<p> http://www.bolterand...types-finished/
ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03D_Custos_Fidei.jpg

Karack Blackstone

Karack Blackstone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,081 posts

roll20 comes to mind, however, that's possibly not a true option for all involved.

If it is a site that can be used, there's a built in dice roller in roll20 that very much is visible, or invisible, as the roller decides to type in their command to generate a roll.

It's an additional level of gaming, however, other than a more freeform style of RPG this is a great question.

Black Cohort

Black Cohort

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts

roll20 comes to mind, however, that's possibly not a true option for all involved.

If it is a site that can be used, there's a built in dice roller in roll20 that very much is visible, or invisible, as the roller decides to type in their command to generate a roll.

It's an additional level of gaming, however, other than a more freeform style of RPG this is a great question.

Rolld20 is a good suggestion, but if you are using roll d20 for dice why not just run the whole campaign there?
Follow the link to help make "A Better 40k"<p> http://www.bolterand...types-finished/
ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03D_Custos_Fidei.jpg

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,675 posts

I seem to remember people on other forums who do PBP letting the GM roll in their place. Not ideal but it stops any player abuse.

gallery_45765_12339_109730.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

*Furyou Miko

*Furyou Miko

++ PROPUGNATRIX REGNUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,874 posts

It will be up to the GMs how they want to handle dice rolling. I would personally suggest mandating a particular dice roller (The one at http://www.wizards.c...d/dice/dice.htm is fairly useful) and copy-pasting results directly.

Honour systems remind us that in cheating at games, we only cheat ourselves.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

There is no knowledge
that is not power.
Power corrupts.
Ignorance is Innocence.

Just call me Miko.
Sisters in 7th: W2 L0 D0

Tzeentch: Change you can believe in.

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,184 posts
The way I like to do it is to use orokos, because it provides a link for all rolls, and you can even check someone's roll history.

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg