Play By Post Campaigns

*Furyou Miko

WiP

Think you want to run a game, but need players?

Got a great idea for a game, but you need a GM to run it for you?

This will eventually (once we've made it pretty and stuff) be the thread for you!

• 2 weeks later...
I would be interested in trying a Dark Heresy game, either already started or new. I have never done a PBP game before, but am familiar with the concept. The subject matter has never been right, but this could be great.

Hi, would anybody be interested in playing an Only War campaign, but on a larger scale then just one (two) character(s) per player ? ie, each player controls a squad.

I think this would offer more possibilities for each player in terms of gaming, and it would mean that you don't have to rely as much on the other players, which is possibly best for PBP.

Hi, would anybody be interested in playing an Only War campaign, but on a larger scale then just one (two) character(s) per player ? ie, each player controls a squad.

I think this would offer more possibilities for each player in terms of gaming, and it would mean that you don't have to rely as much on the other players, which is possibly best for PBP.

Sounds like a fun opportunity to do a Band of Brothers-esque series!

Heck yes!

I would actually like to GM a game. I was thinking about either Rogue Trader or Only War, seems like you guys shortlisted it down to OW biggrin.png

Is there a particular mechanic in OW that allows you to run / sub multiple chars or do you just suggest to wing it? I read the main book, browsed some of the supplements. I'm fairly familiar with the main mechanic (I've been one of the translators and coordinators of the Polish DH2 edition), but not with OW specifics. Will have to read up on that.

Let's have a show of hands and we will take further questions to a new thread, shall we? smile.png

EDIT:
Little to no crunch, full characters made, but expect a lot of narrative input and handwavium used sparingly.

I guess. Well, I will get a bit of time around the weekend and will make a starter thread. Be on the lookout! smile.png

Cheers :)

Little to no crunch, full characters made, but expect a lot of narrative input and handwavium used sparingly.

I'm sort of new to the PBP idea, and I'm only used to playing with a few people with the same wants as me.

• When you say full characters made, do you mean that you'll be making them, or that we have to write a certain amount of details about our characters, etc. ?
  • When you say little to no crunch, do you mean that we should aim at minmaxing (if so, great :) )
  • handwavium used sparingly by GM or players ?

I mean that I will want characters with full mechanics made by the players, for themselves. HOWEVER, I do not subscribe to the game mastering style which uses all the rules, all the time. The style will be closer to narrative, game system used sparingly and in conflicts of greater import. Number crunching, especially in a system I am not 100% familiar with, has zero appeal for me.

If by minmaxing you mean "optimizing the character fully towards a particular aspect of combat / game world interaction, while neglecting other aspects almost completely", then no, that is actually something I would explicitly discourage. I will want well-rounded characters capable of handling themselves in multiple situations, in multiple ways. More Jack of All Trades than Master of One (minmax).

Your character can be good or even great at something and I will support this in-game, by giving you chances to shine, but I will also challenge your character where it is weak. If your character is a two-dimensional flat archetype that just has this one minmaxed thing they are good at (or three), they will be boring to play with (everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer).

I mean that I will want characters with full mechanics made by the players, for themselves. HOWEVER, I do not subscribe to the game mastering style which uses all the rules, all the time. The style will be closer to narrative, game system used sparingly and in conflicts of greater import. Number crunching, especially in a system I am not 100% familiar with, has zero appeal for me.

If by minmaxing you mean "optimizing the character fully towards a particular aspect of combat / game world interaction, while neglecting other aspects almost completely", then no, that is actually something I would explicitly discourage. I will want well-rounded characters capable of handling themselves in multiple situations, in multiple ways. More Jack of All Trades than Master of One (minmax).

Your character can be good or even great at something and I will support this in-game, by giving you chances to shine, but I will also challenge your character where it is weak. If your character is a two-dimensional flat archetype that just has this one minmaxed thing they are good at (or three), they will be boring to play with (everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer).

Cheers for the explanations, this suits me perfectly :)

Interesting concept - I thought you'd be envisaging players taking different squads in a single platoon. I look forward to seeing how you're going to juggle squads from different regiments. Will you be shifting scenes across a giant crusade front or the like?

Interesting concept - I thought you'd be envisaging players taking different squads in a single platoon. I look forward to seeing how you're going to juggle squads from different regiments. Will you be shifting scenes across a giant crusade front or the like?

It's an experiment for me as well, so unsure yet. I love such formal novelties, just as I've always been a fan of the Shadow mechanic in Wraith: the Oblivion (TL;DR - you play your character, but ALSO your neigbouring player's self-destructive part of the psyche, the Shadow, the devil on his shoulder).

I have some idea though. In general, I will mostly try to keep the squads together or nearby. The Forum and text are more forgiving to split scenes and multiple information sources. Think "the squad is my actual character" and each squaddie is just something the Squad can do. But of course, do develop their personalities, quirks and flavour.

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested doing a "Fly on the Wall" style Deathwatch campaign?

In this case, you are an Inquisitorial handler for your Space Marine who can influence his decisions with certain tactical information you're given, but in the end he's really an NPC.

Custom chapters are allowed, as long as you follow the rules for creating the crunch from it in RoB.

In this case, you are an Inquisitorial handler for your Space Marine who can influence his decisions with certain tactical information you're given, but in the end he's really an NPC.

Custom chapters are allowed, as long as you follow the rules for creating the crunch from it in RoB.

I'm not sure whether I'm interested or not . . .

Maybe if I was allowed to use a Blood of Martyrs Sister of Battle . . . there's even a bit in that book that suggests they could run with SMs in Deathwatch campaigns, getting maybe a few extra shiny toys to get them up to speed. Honestly, though, I would rather use the Inquisitor's Handbook and just start her with some extra experience (probably a bad idea).

Oh, and I don't actually own a Deathwatch rulebook.

I PMed you my preliminary character sheet.

It will be an honor to serve alongside the Emperor's Angels of Death, even if I was hoping to end my tenure with His most holy Ordos and return to Ophelia VII

Context for those of you who aren't Cryptix: My character is an ascended Dark Heresy Adepta Sororitas

Archived