The Herald of Sanguinius question (those who read it)

Izlude

Having read this one in the Eye of Terra I was little confused:

1. It seems like in the beginning there is essentially a drawing of the straws between two of the BA, and one is killed. Not sure of the rational behind this

2. The Herald: Sounds like maybe a link between this and the current Sanguinator in 40k? Again what is the role of the Herald? 

Thanks!

Spoilers from 1d4chan's article on the Sanguinor:

The GW digital advent calendar presented us with a story called "The Herald of Sanguinius". Set at the beginning of the Imperium Secundus, the New Emperor Sanguinius finds himself overwhelmed by petitions from people who wish to speak to him.

Captain of the Sanguinary Guard Azkaellon already considered a bit possessive over his duties as a bodyguard; gets a bit paranoid about letting all these people see his father as he suspects treachery and betrayal everywhere. Sanguinius agrees that he cannot sit on a throne all day and hear petitions, so between them they agree to create a Herald who will speak for Sanguinius whenever the Primarch is busy doing something else.

To this end, the Sanguinary Guard came together and allowed two of their number to nominate themselves for this new position of "stand-in Emperor", then left the room whilst they drew straws between them. The "winner" was a Sanguinary Guard named Aratron, whilst Azkaellon slew the other to keep his identity a secret. Then Aratron's face was permanently sealed within a golden mask and from then referred to only as "The Sanguinor".

Sanguinary Guard A: Who is the new Sanguinor Guy?

Sanguinary Guard B: Well we drew straws and it was down to Aratron and another dude, and we haven't seen either of them since, so it's definitely one of them.

Azkaellon: Muh Secret

The audio version released last year was far easier to follow, with regards to continuity and with who's who. The scenes are all mixed up and would be annoying to read.

I think they were going for a shock value type thing of "OMGZ THIS EXPLAINS EVRYTHN", but on a personal note I much prefered his identity as a mystery, the theories alone about his origin were amazing, ...is he a daemon ala 'The Red Angel'? ...is he part of Sanguinius soul that has somehow survived the destruction of his mortal body? etc... the "reality" leaves much to be desired and is quite frankly, meh (sadly)

Definitely not the best but in this drought of content, anything 'Blood Angels' is excitement overload to me haha (why you do did BL).

I felt as though this could've been within a larger book (as a sub-plot), rather than a standalone short story, as I had wanted more depth and lead-in. Took me another quick read to fully take the implications into account. I would be interested to see if this becomes more of an arc in future too, as it felt like a beginning to me!

• 2 weeks later...
He could be the modern sanguinor, what if he is the closest blood angel to sangy when he gets killed by Horus? What if a portion of sanguinius' essence finds it's way to him by proximity and boom, super eternal BA bad ass. Like Danny trejo

Maybe, but I personally doubt it. Sanguinor will probably be a title for someone that represents Sanguinius, so anything that is like a an avatar of him would get that title.

Much like how we all see Cypher as a specific guy, but in reality Cypher is a title that the guy we all know as cypher has.

Basically what I'm saying is that just because this guy took the title of Sanguinor doesn't mean he is the Sanguinor. He could just be the first that coined the name. So he could be, but that doesn't mean he is.

Archived