Help Expand My Army: 2000-3000 Points with Dark Mech Allies

Hey,

When Betrayal at Calth was released I planned a 2000 Point Word Bearers force using the contents of the box as a start with the intention of guiding my future spending.

Having almost bought everything I need now (only the Sicaran left - and most of it needs painting), I have started thinking about how I could expand this army to 3000 Points to include [Dark] Mechanicum Allies. I have been keen to do this for a while now so I thought I would put some lists together just to get some ideas flowing - It's been harder than I thought!!

The Mechanicum is expensive (points wise) and very different to the Legiones Astartes which I would say I know a decent amount about. So I was hoping someone with more knowledge of using the two together would be able to help me go through where I'm at with my 1000 Point addition.

Here are my current ideas:

Archmagos Prime - 250

(Cyber-Familiar, Rad Grenades, Master-Crafted Corposant Stave, Jet Pack, 2 Phased Plasma-Fusils, Myrmidax)

6 Thallax - 305 / 555

(Heavy Chainblades, 2 Phased Plasma-Fusils)

*Magos joins the Thallax and they all Jet Pack around shooting 12 S6 AP3 shots (6/12 at BS5 due to Archmagos). If necessary, they can also charge, however this is more of a back-up option.

​In Combat, targets will be either Vehicles, where the Haywire attacks of the Corposant Stave can destroy them quickly or T4/5 models where the Rad-Grenades and Heavy Chainblades can do a lot of damage. Can also Instant Death T4 Multi-Wound models.

In addition to these, I have a few other options to make up the last 445 points - these are what I'm most stuck on as I think the Archmagos and Thallax are a good choice but not sure what to add from here.

Option 1:

Thanatar - 300 / 855

(Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Paragon of Metal)

2 Apothecaries added to Word Bearers Primary Detachment - 120 / 975

25 Points Spare!!!!

Will probably use these to add Melta Bombs and other Upgrades to Word Bearers Squad Leaders and HQ's (stuff I didn't have points for at 2000)

Option 2:

Thanatar - 300 / 855

Adsecularis Covenant - 145 / 1000

(Frag Grenades, Rite of Pure Thought, Induction Chargers, Carapace Armour, Revenant Alchemistry)

*These guys basically sit in front of the Thanatar and rely on Fearless, 4+ Save (which Bolters can't ignore), and FNP to survive whilst forcing anything that wants to target the Thanatar (mainly in combat) to fight them first.

Option 3:

Thanatar - 300 / 855

Tech-Priest Auxilia (2 Adepts, 4 Servo-Automata) - 155 / 1010

(Magos Auxilia Upgrade, 2 Cortex Controllers, 4 Servo-Arms)

*Takes Enginseer Techno-Arcana and sits behind Thanatar to continuously heal any damage it takes

In order to stay in 1000 points limit, Archmagos loses Cyber-Familiar - -15 / 995

Option 4:

2 Castellax - 240 / 795

(Enhanced Targeting Arrays)

Krios Venator - 155 / 950

(Extra Armour)

50 Points Spare!!!

Spent on either...

1. Tech-Priest Auxilia Unit - 75

25 extra points made up by cutting the Archmagos' Master-Crafted Corposant Stave (Krios can sort Tanks now so no need for Haywire?) and Cyber-Familiar.

*Hide behind Krios and heal it!

2. 50 Points worth of Upgrades for Word Bearers

These options were designed to fill a hole in my 2000 points force - Anti-AP3 and More Anti-Armour!

Anti-AP3 is covered by the Thallax and Archmagos as well as either the Thanatar or Castellax

Extra Anti-Armour provided by either that Thanatar's Plasma Mortar (I reckon it can take most light vehicles), Archmagos and Thanatar (Lightning Guns or Haywire Attacks), or the Krios Venator.

What do you guys think? I personally prefer either Option 1 or 4 (I think).

Cheers!!! :D

Just to help you, help me, here is a rough guide to my 2000 point list (Most characters have Artificer Armour and such but we only need to focus on weapons to help this expansion complement my existing list)

Uses The Dark Brethren Rite of War (for Preferred Enemy - helps with so much Plasma - and an alternate 3000 Point expansion with Daemons)

Chaplain with Burning Lore, Maul and Combi-Plasma

Diabolist with Burning Lore, Power Axe and Combi-Melta

Praetor with Cataphractii Armour, Combi-Plasma and Paragon Blade

2 Tactical Squads (15 Man)

Terminator Squad (5) with Plasma Blaster, 4 Combi-Plasmas, 3 Lightning Claws and 2 Chainfists

Veteran Tactical Squad (10) with 2 Plasma Guns, Combi-Plasma and Power Weapon.

Gal Vorbak Squad with Power Fist

Sicaran with Lascannon Sponsons

Archived