Redemption at All Costs - Darkshroud

Kobrakei

'Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged'

- Unknown Albian dramatuge, M2

Master Shohrael, Fifth Company, Dark Angels Adeptus Astartes.

IMG_20160509_201104.jpg

Edited by Kobrakei

Hey all.

I've never been one to post to sub-forums. I like to jump around and soak up the general vibe from the main Adeptus Astartes and Painting forums. But as I'm starting to look at re-building my Dark Angels, it seems pretty sensible to start building some progress in here, especially as I can make sure that those Frater that don't visit the Painting area can check this out.

The plan is to paint a Demi-Company of the Fifth Company, along with a large chunk of Deathwing and some small Ravenwing support elements. Progress will probably start off slowly, but I'm hoping to start winding down my Crimson Shrikes army soon, so towards the back end of the year this will pick up rapidly. :smile.:

Anyway, enough waffle, how do we feel about the above guy?

Edited by kobrakei

Go Fifth Company! 

The company emblem is fairly easy to paint free handed.  Welcome to the rock!  I like the conversion, looks menacing.

Looking good man, good use of the Chaplain :smile.:

Thanks. I have to admit I've wanted to use the model for a Company Master for ages, but was struggling to find a cheap one. Eventually the gods of Ebay shined upon me and here we are!

Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Extremely envious of the idea, and wish I had thought of it! I can't find a power-armoured body fitting for that helm yet, and you just nailed it!

Thanks! I have to admit i was inspired by some other conversions I've seen for this guy, so feel free to plunder ideas. Sharing is caring!

Another Brother delving into the secrets in the Rock....be careful what you find.

Mini looks cool, great kitbash, needs paint :tongue.:

:biggrin.:

stobz

Ta! I could paint them now...or I could wait until ETL...:P

Go Fifth Company! 

The company emblem is fairly easy to paint free handed.  Welcome to the rock!  I like the conversion, looks menacing.

I used to have a Fifth Company army years ago so have had practice. It does look cool as well and it a bit more exciting than a red stripe, and easier than the Fourth symbol! Thanks for the comments

Nice looking master! The black and white photo fits the 1st quite well. Grim... And dark

And totally not because I think unpainted models look better in black and white, honest! Cheers for the comments.

Hear me, follow Sons of the Lion, and witness my deeds! I, Brother Kobrakei, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete the following Tactical Squad with Grav-Cannon, Plasma Gun and Combi-Plasma, Company Master with Relic Blade and Librarian from Codex: Dark Angels of total value 680  points, on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory in the name of Jonson and failure shame the Shades of Caliban and doom me to wear the title 'Oathbreaker' until the end of 0016M3.

20160518_202046.jpg

May we find redemption in all things.

(The is my first ever ETL pledge in any event. I am PUMPED!)

Edited by kobrakei

• 5 months later...

'Annihilation of the flesh is a price worth paying sevenfold to ensure annihilation of the sin' 

Refel, Treatise of the Corporeal

'Layers within layers, circles within circles. This has ever been the way of the Dark Angels. And the reason Squad Toraem, first of the Fifth Company were never to understand the true motive behind why the Dark Angels deployed to Illubris. They believed they were there to quell an uprisen populous, a mob that had cast their eyes from the Emperor and towards darker gods. The truth was something quite different. After we left Illubris, two of Toraem were elevated to that most feared of forces, the Deathwing, at the behest of Company Master Shohrael. No explanation was ever given to the rest of Squad Toraem as to this sudden promotion, but the Inner Circle always have their reasons.'

- Interrogator Chaplain Kerubiel, Memoirs

20161030_140413.jpg

20161030_140254.jpg

20161030_140238.jpg

20161030_140204.jpg

20161030_140030.jpg

Edited by kobrakei

• 3 weeks later...

I like the crisp highlighting on the bolters!

Thanks, I was trying to create a dark red so they didn't take away from the rest of the models, but also give them some pop as well.

I like them, but they are a little flat. It might be the photographs - but I think with a little more depth/darkness in the recesses, and more highlighting, they would improve 10-fold.

You have the skills to paint and detail very neatly - no mean feat in itself - but now you need to bring them to life and ignite them :yes:.

Cheers

I

I like them, but they are a little flat. It might be the photographs - but I think with a little more depth/darkness in the recesses, and more highlighting, they would improve 10-fold.

You have the skills to paint and detail very neatly - no mean feat in itself - but now you need to bring them to life and ignite them :yes:.

Cheers

I

Very nice squad! But like Brother Isiah said above the green looks slightly flat, I suspect its because you are super neat an managed to get the highlights so thin that they are actually a little difficult to see.

It is very much that the highlights are super thin, but similar to my other Marines I seem to struggle to capture the highlighting and depth. My photo set up is nowhere near ideal, but to the eye these guys do pop quite well. It's a tricky balance as I find going too bright with the Moot Green highlights can make the model look like it belongs in Tron :P A second point wash of Nuln Oil into the shoulder pad recesses would actually be ideal I think as this would help separate the shoulder pad trim from the pad itself, as the inner edge would normally be highlighted to help define, but I'm not that patient/steady :) 

I've just finished up a unit of Deathwing Knights, so I'll be interested to see if I can get the highlights on those on film, but if not I'll need to look at using a better camera and setting up my lightbox.

'It is easier to forgive an enemy than it is a brother'

- The visionary Blake, M2

'Our Chapter speaks of the need to never forgive, to never forget. Our continued existence is due to our ability to keep the secrets of the past dark and shadowed, and to allow only the most resolved and fearless of our brothers to know the truth. To learn of the true mission of the Dark Angels, and then still betray the Oath of the Deathwing, to take flight from your Chapter even knowing that this is the sin that caused the fall of the Legion and the Lion? That cannot be held in anything but the greatest contempt. This is why we fell onto Illubris, to hunt Brother Xaphaem, formerly of the Deathwing, who spat on his word and bonds and took flight. The knowledge he took with him, of the Great Schism of the Angels is too important to ever be set free, lest the Dark Angels are destroyed for our past transgressions. Brother Xaphaem needed to be silenced, to be taken back to the shadows and forgotten to history. As he had been the Brother-Knight to formally request that Xaphaem be inducted into the Deathwing, Knight Netzach and his squad requested to accompany Strike Force Shohrael to Illubris, to bring Xaphaem to heel, and to atone for his poor judgement of character with the use of his Flail of the Unforgiven'

- Interrogator Chaplain Kerubiel, Memoirs

20161129_190614.jpg

20161129_190650.jpg

20161129_190714.jpg

(I really need to look at getting a better camera/photo set up. It's hard to get photos anyway with the nights being dark in the UK at the moment, but these guys do really pop in real life, and they just seem so washed out in the pics.)

Edited by kobrakei