Gnenthaal's WIP - Thornik Frostwrath's CoF

gnenthaal

Hello all.

Another quick update. As I feared, the brush work is slower than I'd like.

Metallics on their way. I hope it will be finished this week end.

Stormfang brush1B

Stormfang brush1A

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Holy Fenris! Your models are amazing... Really feel like I should invest in an airbrush, I'm doing all mine with brushwork and it is time consuming to say the least and doesn't look half as good. I look forward to seeing more!

Hi all !

So, with the baby girl being (a bit) sick, I could'nt work as much as I intended during the week end.

And, consequently, the stormfang is not finished.

There's quite work stil to do but I hope to have it "Game standard" finished by tomorrow or wednesday evening.

Stormfang Brush2 A

Stormfang Brush2 B

It was also the opportunity to test the new Citadel gloss washes. And They're quite fine to me. I might just add a few drops of medium to smotth a bit the transitions, but the result is interresting.

Well, one more wash with agrax and I will work on the light of the gold.

Iron will only require a lighter drybrush.

Then i'll move on to the red wolves heads, the hellfrost destructor runes and pipes, and the shields at the rear. Put a few decals and that should be good.

Can't wait to move on to the other minis.

@ Nanaki : Thank you so much. Airbrush needs to be mastered. And it takes time. But yes, what a gain of time and of "finesse" in the blendings. I have mine for three years now, and while not using it each day, week or even month, I only start to obtain the results I dreamt of three years ago. It's exhilarating now. But what a pain in the a** the first times.

Pressure, distance and dilution. That makes everything. Really really thin your paints. Work with colored vails over a preshaded undercoat.

So, hope to be back here soon with this stormfang ready to frost the enemies of the Allfather !

G.

Yep, me again ! tongue.png

So as I said in the ETL strategium, this beast isn't finished yet.

Stormfang brush3 A

Stormfang brush3 B

Stormfang brush3 C

Stormfang brush3 D

I had issues with the new gloss washes. They need to be worked differently than the way I used to use the matt washes. But all in all, they are not to thow away.

And it should be finished tonight (tabletop standards).

Still have to do the long fangs marking on the sides, the shields on the rear sides, the multi melta and some small details (parchment, red head eyes, the carved runes etc.)

I feel the hellfrost destructor pipes could benefit a lighter tone. Maybe later, when Ill do all the weathering and cockpit.

Any comment welcome. As I have y head to the grindstone, feedback is more than usefull.

Thanks.

G.

Gnenthall: Your paint skills are blowing me away, like seriously. I am hoping I can learn loads from you.

I also rally hope the wee girl is doing better

Hello all !

Sorry for the lack of reactivity. Week has been over busy and I had struggle finding time or energy to paint (or even post answers here).

Gnenthall: Your paint skills are blowing me away, like seriously. I am hoping I can learn loads from you.

I also rally hope the wee girl is doing better

You Sir, do me too much honor ! If I can be of any help, be my guest. Sharing (knowledge, wealth, happiness biggrin.png ) is how have been raised.

And the baby girl isn't so much better. Seriously coughing, which sometimes leads to vomiting a bit. Joy… But each day is a bit better than the last.

Thanks for your concern.

Anyway, back to minis !

I've finished the Stormfang last week as planned.

Stormfang doneA

Stormfang doneB

Stormfang doneC

Stormfang doneD

It lacks a bit of contrasts on the brown shadows and the linings. Not even speaking of the weathering. But that will do just fine for now.
During this week I also managed to finish and glue the fenrissian wolves on their bases.

fenrissian wolves

Could add a few pink blendings on the ears and mouths, but again, will do that later.
Now I finally can focus on my TWC units and characters.
See you soon.
G.

• 1 month later...

Hello brothers.

It's been a while since 've posted here. Summer as been busy IRL, but I managed to complete my vow.

As I promised, more pictures of the thunderwolf cavalry units and the Runepriest in TDA.

There are some things that need a bit more of work (company transfers for instance) and higlights that would benefit 2 ou 3 more steps.

But I'm happy the way they turned out.

I still think the grey/blue thunderwolf cavalry unit need a bit of work on the tone, but it's not as bad as I feared.

So, now, that pictures :

TDA Runepriest :

TDA RP 1

TDA RP 2

TDA RP BACK

Thunderwolf cavalry unit 1 and wolflord :

TWC UNIT 1AA

TWC UNIT 1A

TWC UNIT 1B

TWC UNIT 1C

TWC UNIT 1D

TWC UNIT 1E

Thunderwolf cavalry unit 2 and WGBL :

TWC UNIT 2A

TWC UNIT 2B

TWC UNIT 2C

TWC UNIT 2D

This was my first ETL, and a real challenge. Seriously, these TWC, love the models, but man so long to get them painted.

I first thought I would make more vows. Glad I could finish the first one in time.

Now it will be moving place, make myself a new hobby place in the new flat (and yes that means negociations with the wife msn-wink.gif)

I have many more space wolves to get paint on it, and well, something bigger...

So I will continue feeding this thread. And when will be comfortably settled. I'll take good pictures (no phone pics, and with a proper backgroud) of the allready finished models.

In the meantime, I'll be more than pleased to share comments, answer questions and chat with you.

G.

• 9 months later...

Hi mates !

It's been a long times since I have posted here. Been busy  IRL these past months (well 9 months already, nope, no other baby yet ;) ).

Well at least no "real" newborn, but what I'm currently working on is quite a piece.

Reaver Titan. Yeah. Well almost 2 months only to build it. Magnetising all sorts of things :

- weapons (twice, first batch of magnetes weren't strong enough)

- weapons cables (yeah, I know)

- weapon arm, so that I can in the future switch to a powerglove

- shoulder plates

- head

- torso-pelvis junction

I was reserving it for the ETL, but I was so impatient I started to paint before I knew there was no ETL this year. It's all fine then ! :-)

So here are the photos :

reaver1

reaver2

reaver3

SHPLATES FREE1

reaver carapace

MARBLE TEXT2

LEGSPELVISPLATES9

LEGSTOEPISTONS13

LEGS OVERALL 14

LEGSPELVISPLATES7

So this is a legio of my own. Legio Ursus Magnus. I wanted something that could go along with my Space wolves although quite different in the coulor scheme. This reaver one is Urus Koadiac. One of the largest bears. I base the color scheme on a "sea" blue and a dirty white : the sea and the snow of the Kodiak environment.

The shoulder plate with the "star freehand" is here to represent the connexion with Polaris and Ursa Minoris, in which I'll try to set the legio base.

As you can see I'm still working on the freehand text on the marble parchment. Not quite happy with the "Kodiak" part, which is not properly centered. But I'm discouraged to repaint it as for now.

Tonight I'll try to paint the other hal of the text.

Any critics or comment are most than welcome.

G. glad to be back on board…

hello. Thx Dantay. Glad ypu like both paint and background.

I manager to paint the other half of the text yesterday evening and the kneeplate markings this afternoon.

torsomarbletext

kneeplatemarkings

So, I still have to modify the marble on the other kneeplate. And add the text on it. Will try to do so tonight.

Archived