Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

gallery_92971_11994_189858.jpg

Surprise is an insubstantial blade, a sword worthless in war.

It breaks when troops rally. It snaps when commanders hold the line.

But fear never fades. Fear is a blade that sharpens with use.

So let the enemy know we come. Let their fears defeat them as everything falls dark.

As the world's sun sets...As the city is wreathed in its final night...

Let ten-thousand howls promise ten-thousand claws.

The Night Lords are coming, and no soul that stands against us shall see another dawn.

The War Sage Malcharion

Hi everybody!

I thought it's only appropriate to kick this thread off with a quote from Malcharion, since the Night Lords trilogy is one of the reasons why I came back to 40k. I've spent the last couple years building a modest force (I'm a terribly slow painter) and lurking around on this board, but now I've decided that I might as well join in on the fun. To give you an idea of what my Night Lords look like, here's some stuff I've finished recently.

My MkIII squad, led by a still unnamed champion:

gallery_92971_11994_330837.jpg

And two Obliterators, the Eisenfresser:

gallery_92971_11994_314270.jpg

I managed to get my hands on some Gorgons a while back and I have to say, they are lovely miniatures. Naturally I just had to convert/corrupt one of them, which led to this fella:

Warpsmith Hadur Cobannus
Mars Ultor of the Ghoul Stars

gallery_92971_11994_39122.jpg

I hope you like them. There's more to come.

INVENTARIUM

Raptor Squad "Sol Invictus" - July 13th, 2016

Ceratus Knight Acheron - August 5th, 2016

Lord on Juggernaut - November 15th, 2016

Maulerfiend - January 17th, 2017

Headsman of Malal - April 26th, 2017

Terror Squad "Profugum" - September 2017

Warpsmith Hadur - January 2019

Terminator Lord Varkaus - July 2019

Hellforged Contemptor - August 2019

Sicaran Battle Tank - February 2020

Emissary Ostisoi - March 2020

Edited by Isengrin

Absolutely we like then. At least I am!

Great work with this dark yet vibrant blue, not to mention the amazing effect of the metallics!

Keep them coming!

Awesome start, man. 

Those blues are looking great and the bronze is delectably age-worn. 

What's next in the "to paint" list? 

Thanks a lot. It took me a while to get the blue right, but I'm fairly happy with it now.

Next up is a squad of raptors. I mean, they are pretty much mandatory. Although I've already built a few with the new box, they somehow didn't work for me. So now I'm using Ashen Circle with old jump packs as a foundation. I should be able to load up a few pics pretty soon.

There's also that beast of a knight sitting on my desk, staring at me. That one's gonna be fun to paint. :smile.:

Edited by Isengrin

Loving the blue. That Warpsmith conversion is ace too.

Thanks, man. Glad you like 'em.

Haha, welcome at the B&C! Nice to find your awesome NL here, too.

It's good to be here. :smile.:

So whats the secret of the blue? Kantor with wet layers of lighter blue as you go up?

Very nicely done on minimizing the patena color by the way, its very easy to go overboard and turn the metallics green.

So whats the secret of the blue? Kantor with wet layers of lighter blue as you go up?

Very nicely done on minimizing the patena color by the way, its very easy to go overboard and turn the metallics green.

Almost, it's a bit more elaborate. I start with a layer of VMC Dark Prussian Blue, followed by Kantor Blue, Altdorf Guard and Enchanted Blue (still got a pot), all applied wet. Then I put Drakenhof Nightshade on the mini.

I'm not sure, if the next step is necessary or if there isn't an easier way to achieve the same effect, but it works for me. I apply the same colors except for Prussian Blue (and no Nightshade of course) again where I see fit. Finally I use Druchii Violet to get a bit more of a darker and, well, violet tone.

Yeah, I agree on the metallics and patina. They require quite some restraint.

Welcome to the forum! Your work is A+ quality. I'm looking forward to seeing some more :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! I maybe cursed a little bit, after seeing your Night Lord.

Edited by Isengrin

That warpsmith is beautiful! Great use of the gorgon kit!

Thanks!

Alright, update time!

My knight received its first layers of paint and the base is finished. I've done the pilot a while ago, still unsure about her name and origin.

gallery_92971_12020_338522.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_310414.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_244275.jpg

Next are the first raptors. The combination of Ashen Circle and Night Lords might look strange, but sometimes style just wins out over background. :wink:

gallery_92971_11994_398373.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_167819.jpg

P.S.: I know I'm late to the party, but...Brother...you have been most blackly deceived.

Freakin ADB. Now I'm seriously considering a 30k force.

Edited by Isengrin

I wouldn't say they look strange at all, Night Lords colors look great on them! Can't wait to see how the Knight turns out.

Thanks man.

Dude. That Night Lord looks freakin' awesome.

Dragonlover

Cheers!

The Circle look great in the colours of terror, nicely weathered too.

Thanks! Well, after weathering the first marine, there's no going back.

Dude... those Ashen Circle with old school raptor packs are just so... right.

Love your comment :biggrin.:. The first one just kinda happened and he's grown on me. They need a few more trophies though, Night Lords style.

Damn! The Ashen Raptors look great! The combination of Ashen Circle minis with the old Raptor jump packs is beautiful :thumbsup:

Thanks! The old jump packs are a real treasure.

That knight is of to a great start. Could you give a breakdown of how you painted those metals?

Sure thing. First I airbrushed VGA Gunmetal and VGA Chainmail Silver on it, drybrushed everything with Leadbelcher and Runefang Steel, then I drowned it in Nuln Oil. The golden parts are Rhinox Hide, VMC Old Gold, VGC Polished Gold, then Nuln Oil and Army Painter Strong Tone.

Okay. I have to ask: Are they artscale? They seem so nig and more proportioned than usual marines

Yeah, I lengthen the torso and legs and beef up the thighs quite a bit. Some cables around their sides make them look slightly bulkier as well. Here's a very rough WIP pic of the third raptor.

gallery_92971_12020_44518.jpg

Edited by Isengrin

Need more! Such awesome work!

No worries, more is on the way. I have to keep an ETL vow after all. :wink:

Well, the wardens of light are full of love, especially for awesome work.

They sound like some perfectly nice dudes, I guess I gotta check them out (only took a quick peek so far, very interesting stuff). :smile.: