Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

Fantastic work on the latest Plague Marine! Models lugging around heavy weapons often look like the odd man out in any given squad -- awkward and not as cool as the other squad members. Not so here, you have created a very cool, intimidating character! Plus the models look really excellent as a squad.

• 6 months later...

I haven't had much time for hobby stuff lately but I did manage to overhaul one of my Gal Vorbak possessed, which means I've updated four out of five. I've also painted one of the chaos hounds Kraut sent me a (really) long time ago so not all hope is lost. :teehee:

gallery_92971_11994_841967.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_864169.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_20750.jpg

That helbrute walker is ace

Thanks!

Besides more Night Lords, another project I'm currently working on is Baraqu - Unification Wars. It's a neat little community project with a few other guys and I've already posted a couple minis belonging to that setting like the proto-Custodes. The UW wouldn't be even half as interesting without Thunder Warriors so here we go:

gallery_92971_12020_136615.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_306541.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_47891.jpg

Wow! I love your painting style. Not sure if it's the right term but "mottled" springs to mind as the most apt description. Your Night Lords are sinister; they inspire fear, as they should! I'll be using your work as inspiration for my upcoming Night Lords project.

Wow! I love your painting style. Not sure if it's the right term but "mottled" springs to mind as the most apt description. Your Night Lords are sinister; they inspire fear, as they should! I'll be using your work as inspiration for my upcoming Night Lords project.

I think mottled nails it pretty much. After base layers and washes I stipple on lighter colours and stuff like Typhus Corrosion or rust effects, then I add battle damage with a sponge, all of which helps create that style. Love to hear that I can inspire another Night Lords project! I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New raptor taking to the skies! After pondering how to build old school raptors in the style of the 3rd edition for a while, I grabbed some blue stuff and copied the helmet and feet from a metal raptor I had at home. Those features were responsible for their unique look and so it was a no-brainer to use them in an upscaled version. The helmet didn't come out quite as I hoped and lost some details in the process, but it was enough to use as a basic form to sculpt on.

The jump pack was kinda tricky, because the original was too small for this brute and looked ridiculous. So I sawed it apart and added plasticard spacers. Now its size is much more appropriate.

Now that I look at the pics I think I should anchor the chains on the shoulder pad with green stuff links but other than that I'd say he's finished.

gallery_92971_12020_338486.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_225984.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_584987.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_698646.jpg

Hot damn, this is a tasty thread. Loving the latest creation, especially the face with its intimidating grin on such a chunky body.

Thanks a lot! It's such an awesome helmet isn't it.

Love the Thunder Warrior!

May you share your Night Lords painting recipe please? It's really great.

Right, I'm a bit overdue here. What a sec...

The base is Dark Prussian Blue, followed by thinned Deep Sky and Royal Blue, all from Vallejo. I don't exactly blend the colours but what I do is pretty close just very rough and quick. Then I wash the armour with Scale75 Inktense Violet/Black which has to be extremely thinned down. GW Altdorf and Teclis or similar paints are used for highlights. The last step is applying battle damage with black and metal either by sponge or brush.

I also use a bit of Typhus Corrosion on the armour. It's a base for my rust effect on the metal parts but I put a small, thinned down amount on some of the blue areas of the armour, which adds to the mottled effect.

Yeah Isen, share it. I will copy it for my small scale Nightlords^^

Now now, don't rush me. :tongue.:

5E5E5E; center; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:10px; font-size:130%; ">NIGHT LORDS +++ CHAOS OBLITERATOR

gallery_92971_11994_3600.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_291855.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_904854.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_97026.jpg

Quick throwback here. I've posted this obliterator in the very first entry of this log already way back when I got started here. During taking pics for the WIP raptor I thought why not give the obliterator a nice shooting too and here we are. It will be interesting where he will fit in soon, with my terminators who are based on those old models or with their new plastic versions.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:21 PM, BadgersinHills said:

Thank you! Really appreciate it. :smile.:

Glad I could help. :smile.:

On 4/23/2021 at 1:34 AM, NomadPainting said:

I am here for that Thunder Warrior.

Haha I'm really starting to get into the Unification Wars era. Stay tuned for more of that.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:24 AM, Hungry Nostraman Lizard said:

Man, I wish we would get Raptors with the old aesthetic, just modernized. Arched jump pack, talon feet, and that sleek helmet look. The kegs don't do it for me, with added claw bits on the boots. Love your take here!

I would field an entire raptors army if they ever went back to that design...doing it myself I'll be content with a squad. :sweat: Thanks buddy!

On 4/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, Pearson73 said:

Solid work on embiggening the old-school Raptor, I do agree that those chains need some sort of anchor though.

Great job on that banner too!

Thanks a lot Pearson. I'm currently adding the missing chain links and after that I think I'm done.

Edited by Isengrin

Lovely work. Your sculpting and painting skills are magnificent.

The base is Dark Prussian Blue, followed by thinned Deep Sky and Royal Blue, all from Vallejo. I don't exactly blend the colours but what I do is pretty close just very rough and quick. Then I wash the armour with Scale75 Inktense Violet/Black which has to be extremely thinned down. GW Altdorf and Teclis or similar paints are used for highlights. The last step is applying battle damage with black and metal either by sponge or brush.

Can I ask you how much you roughly dilute your S75 Inks when you use them in this way? And do you use water or thinning medium to dillute them?

Also, what are the little beads you use as rivets in your greenstuffed armour trims?

Edited by Captain Incompetence

Lovely work. Your sculpting and painting skills are magnificent.

Can I ask you how much you roughly dilute your S75 Inks when you use them in this way? And do you use water or thinning medium to dillute them?

Also, what are the little beads you use as rivets in your greenstuffed armour trims?

The inks have to be diluted a lot, I mix it with around 70% thinner medium from Vallejo and sometimes add a bit water if I feel like it needs some more. A small drop from the ink bottle is usually enough for a whole mini or two. I apply them mostly in corners or other dark parts of the armour, and then draw some of it to the lighter parts with a brush. 

I'd have to look it up where I bought the beads to be sure, but I think I got them from Green Stuff World.

Gorgeous and beautiful work. 

Thank you! :smile.:

Bit late to this party, but I've got nothing but respect for a fellow who's also trying to replicate the horrific beauty of the old metal raptors. I've always adored your Night Lords, and I'm glad to see you're still cracking at it, mate!

• 3 weeks later...

; center; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:10px; font-size:130%; ">NIGHT LORDS +++ TERROR MARINE VORASH ARIDIOK

gallery_92971_11994_230166.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_430516.jpggallery_92971_11994_1237985.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_592215.jpg

Believe it or not but I'm slowly working my way through the grey horde of conversions I've accumulated over the years and I'm even satisfied with the latest results. I've tweaked a couple things compared to the previous terror marines, like the recipes for the skull mask and the metal rims, which paid off I think. The only problem now is that I want to revisit my older marines and update their helmets too. :sweat:

Bit late to this party, but I've got nothing but respect for a fellow who's also trying to replicate the horrific beauty of the old metal raptors. I've always adored your Night Lords, and I'm glad to see you're still cracking at it, mate!

Thanks a lot man! I'm still going strong so to say and I've even picked up a bit of motivation to paint my stash of minis lately. :biggrin.:

The 2002 raptors are a peak design. The feet, head, and pose get the point across without having bangles and bric a brac all over the place. 2002 raptors are wonderful

Totally agree! When it comes to raptors, the design from back then is unsurpassed. I'm lucky enough to have received a bag of 3d printed jump packs recently, which means I can now go ahead with the creation of a whole raptor army!

Love these.

Has the 2nd Obliterator got a Tyranid Cannon kitbashed onto it? If so, awesome!

Thanks! Indeed he does, it's a termagant weapon without the left arm.

• 5 weeks later...

That helbrute walker is ace

Thanks!

Besides more Night Lords, another project I'm currently working on is Baraqu - Unification Wars. It's a neat little community project with a few other guys and I've already posted a couple minis belonging to that setting like the proto-Custodes. The UW wouldn't be even half as interesting without Thunder Warriors so here we go:

gallery_92971_12020_136615.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_306541.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_47891.jpg

This model looks fantastic! What head did you use for him?