Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

Stellar paint job! I really like the gold and flesh tones you've done, the bloody runes on the wall are also great details. The herder is an interesting concept, I think having a daemon instead of a mutant would fit more with fluff but the skaven does have potential. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks, mate! Sure, a daemonic handler could work too, although it would go against the idea of frightened, cowed slaves, who are painting runes everywhere to calm the beast (and probably only calm themselves with that). Maybe a mutant, who slowly gets corrupted by the daemonic presence inside of the engine, could be a good mix of both.

Whoever thought it's a good idea to put all those trims on the fiend deserves an extra circle in hell for themselves (just kidding of course ^^). Still, in my opinion it's one of the most tedious models to paint.

Yup I can see that, I have a helldrake that needs finishing and I think the wings will be even worse, hence the chicken staying it bits in a box.

finished though it looks amazing and well worth the effort. Good job.

Thanks! Yeah I don't envy you with that. It's too bad, because the drake is the only flyer I actually like and I briefly thought about converting one. Maybe when my memory of painting the fiend has dimmed, I'll give it a try. Good luck with yours. :wink:

Edited by Isengrin

• 2 months later...

Hi gang! I had to chuckle a bit when I saw that my last post in here was from mid-January and I have built no more than four new models since. They all need a few more details here and there, but so far I am really satisfied with the results.

gallery_92971_12020_417313.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_134322.jpg

So, Night Lords allegedly have a habit of flaying their prisoners/enemies and whenever there's a group of people who enjoy a common pastime, you'll find one guy who is way, way too much into it. Marine No.3 is that guy. For that reason he'll need a few flaps of skin attached to his armour.

gallery_92971_12020_274328.jpg

For the next guy I used the Doghouse-pattern. All in all, he's not bad for a regular tactical, but when I build the second marine with Tartaros bits, I will probably cut of the legs at the hips and re-position them closer together.

gallery_92971_12020_287899.jpg

And here's the whole merry band of rascals joined by my first Terror Marine.

gallery_92971_12020_225654.jpg

Lastly, there is progress from the painting frontline to report. Almost finished, he will soon stalk the gaming tables, reaping skulls in the name of his dark masters.

gallery_92971_12020_89755.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Well this update was certainly worth the wait! So much awesome stuff in this post, my favorite is the third one that likes flaying prisoners. The whole squad looks brilliant with the bulkiness, definitely looking forward to seeing them painted up!

Yeah

, those look brutal and vers cool. Damn... Maybe I should do artscale AS well.

At the least you'd get valuable practice out of it (not that you need it), and it's a blast. :wink:

Good job on the Marines. I'm impressed with the way you posed and painted the Daemon Engine.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the fiend. It was a bear of a job, but definitely worth it.

Holy crap, those look good, brother. And there's some beloved choom too. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! The only thing better than choom is more choom, and for that reason I'll equip my coming Immortals accordingly. Both squads will of course make an appearance at the MDRC as soon as they are painted. :smile.:

Well this update was certainly worth the wait! So much awesome stuff in this post, my favorite is the third one that likes flaying prisoners. The whole squad looks brilliant with the bulkiness, definitely looking forward to seeing them painted up!

Really looking great man, they have a palpable feeling of weight about them

Thanks guys! Good to hear that my attempts at conveying their weight and bulk worked out. The chaos terminators turned out to be a great resource for this kind of conversion.

• 4 weeks later...

Kentaur Alastyr Dirae

Securis Atrox

Headsman in the name of the daemon god Malal

"At such times as a warrior's heart turns to Malal, all Gods of Chaos grow fearful and the laughter of the Outcast God fills the tomb of space..."

- from The Great Book of Despair

gallery_92971_11994_114734.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_192967.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_38943.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_56442.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_395.jpg

It took me long enough to finish this one. Next in line are the sergeant for the Terror Squad and a Mutilator (or maybe true scale Terminator, still undecided there).

Edited by Isengrin

Hi gang! I had to chuckle a bit when I saw that my last post in here was from mid-January and I have built no more than four new models since.

Lastly, there is progress from the painting frontline to report. Almost finished, he will soon stalk the gaming tables, reaping skulls in the name of his dark masters.

Thanks for stopping by!

Very nice model on the Axe Man and in the colours of Mars he could make a decent Warp-Smith!

Truscale termi for sure.

Your guy looks boss. Sadly you haven't cast him...now I have to rebuilt him :sad.:

Thanks, buddy! Yeah, casting didn't work out unfortunately. But I'm confident you can produce something that is at least his equal.

Stunning

Thanks!

Lookin fantastic! I second the truescale termie motion

Thanks to you as well! Looks like terminator it is. I'll post what I have so far in the next couple days.

Hi gang! I had to chuckle a bit when I saw that my last post in here was from mid-January and I have built no more than four new models since.

Thanks for stopping by!

Very nice model on the Axe Man and in the colours of Mars he could make a decent Warp-Smith!

Thanks! I didn't really think about its connotation with Mars, but I see where you're coming from. He'd have to fight this guy (under the spoiler) for the job, though. :wink:

gallery_92971_11994_39122.jpg

Beautiful love the Malal brother very very cool

Krash

Thanks a lot!

That looks brilliant, love the weathering! I would also vote for a true-scale terminator, would love to see what sort of beast you'd create!

Thanks! Yeah, we'll find out soon(-ish) enough. :smile.:

Awesome work on the Malal marine, really characterful model! It is always great to see more followers of the renegade god :wink:.

Oh, definitely. Malal is right up there with a few obscure chapters, when it comes to the coolness factor. Thanks for commenting.

Absolute top grade jaw-on-the-floor work. Phenomenal. This is the kind of model I'd want to share off B&C with people just to show how good it is.

Man, I'm very flattered to hear that. I take inspiration from so many people around here, so it's very nice that others see my stuff in a similar vein.

Stunning, man. Great work on this one.

Thanks, man. Great to see you around here again.

Thanks again for all your comments. They are highly motivating, especially for the slowpoke painter that I am.

okay that is all kinds of awsome, in truely jealous.

cant wait to see them painted.

Thanks! It means a lot coming from the man who built and painted that amazing Maloghurst.

As promised, here are the first pics of my maybe true-scale terminator, maybe mutilator. As you can see, I used an obliterator as jumping-off point and went pretty wild with modelling putty. Despite the prevalent opinion, I appreciate those models very much, even though you need to put in some effort to really let them shine.

Right now, I've got the basic form finished, with a couple caveats. He'll get tassets and I might use different shoulder pads, if I can find some that are more fitting than the obliterator ones. But they don't look bad I think. It's more or less up in the air what I'll do with his arms, as I will probably cut up his left arm a bit, if I don't replace it altogether. I have no idea what to do with his right arm though, and while I like the maul, the spear doesn't look too bad either. One way or another, I'll have to convert the upper arm there. What I'm most unhappy with, is his groin area, as it looks kinda lackluster and needs some spark. Also, there's going to be more details to come in the form of lots and lots of cabling, skulls, and other stuff.

gallery_92971_12020_438476.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_465490.jpg

That's enough from me. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

So awesome! I think this guy could benefit from a chainmail loincloth. As for the right arm, I like the maul better. The spear arm just seems a little too skinny at that angle, but that could be because of the lack of a should plate. Can't wait to see him finished.

So awesome! I think this guy could benefit from a chainmail loincloth. As for the right arm, I like the maul better. The spear arm just seems a little too skinny at that angle, but that could be because of the lack of a should plate. Can't wait to see him finished.

Thanks, man! You're right, the current arm is too skinny, but I was loathe to cut it up as long as I wasn't sure what to choose. If I go with the spear I'll replace his arm with something bulkier. 

Aye, chainmail sounds like a good go to response for that unadorned crotch. As for his choice of weapon... I prefer the glaive. 

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Either a mailed loincloth or chains dangling from his belt should do the trick. I'll have to take another look at Capt. Jack's tutorial, as my last attempt at modelling that was a complete failure.

Thanks for the suggestions.