Ok, I'm ready.

I took a break from the hobby for a few years to focus on being a dad. With their age, I am able to devote some time to my favorite hobby.

On my return, I decided to work on, and play with, my favorite Chapter since 2002. My need to be a special snowflake meant I avoided this through my DIY and eventually building a Raptors force. Still, the RG have always called to me, and I've answered.

I have several projects that have waited to be completed, so I'm chewing through those before building a playable army.

To start: these models have actually been finished for a few weeks. A tragic error while spray varnishing put them on hold to sharing.

Chaplain - a classic from 2nd edition using Azrael's backpack and placed on the new sized base. Due to the left arm having studs, the Chapter badge was placed on the legs. Many thanks to Carlson793 work on Testor's decal paper.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_57579.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_52760.jpg

"Telion" - a Veteran Sergeant holding Nihilus. I decided to keep the small bases for Scouts. Ultramarine symbols were shaved and in my haste I failed to get an aquila put on the weapon. Oh well. To make the model special to me, the grey on the outside of the cloak is from Ral Partha Ghost Bear Grey - this was the color of my DIY Chapter (and yes, I played the hell out of some Battletech).

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_58346.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_74003.jpg

Ninja Scout Squad 6 - Five metal scouts. By the Emperor these are super detailed and a pain in the :censored: to paint (or I suck that much). To link my history with the squad, the green on the grenades is Vallejo Model Color Russian Uniform Green which was used for my Raptors. The squad numbers come from GW decal sheet. Interestingly, the Sergeant's face is VGC Dead White, while the mooks' skin is VGC Bonewhite. I figured their transition to Space Marine would make their skin very pale, but not full white (yet).

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_9139.jpg

Thank you for reading/looking :happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon
Tags

@Brother-Captain Arkham, Thank you very much! The models have a very simple plan for the effect you see, and the camera work is woefully lacking. I should research the dusting to expand my skills though. The PA models will also be relatively simple as my goal is for table-top action sooner than later. Having said that I have an Assault Demi-squad ready for the ETL :tu: Admittedly, I tried placing grenades and packs with my Raptors and thought they were too "busy", even though the realism level was high. Still, I think belt pouches with the brown above will help break up the amount of armor on PA.

@Flint13, Thank you as well! I used the colors above as a base, then use Flesh Wash and repaint leaving the was in recesses. You may have noticed that the eyes are not solid black. In my mind, that is the last stage of the gene-seed's production into a Son of Corax. So the PA marines will get the full black ... eye. ;)

@JeffTibbetts, The honor is mine to join a group of amazing members on this board! Thank you for the praise ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicle of The Watchful ++ Part 1 ++ Assault Squad ++

It may seem ironic to say this considering so much of what makes the Raven Guard in the game involves the assault phase: I don't like the assault phase.  Never have in this game.  By the numbers (and I'm not into Mathammer), it's very obvious that Marines shoot better than swing a sword.  Yet, to play this army I must adapt my way of thinking.  The Pinion Company forcing an Assault Squad (among others), and several formations out of Kauyon stress the Jump Infantry unit.  Frankly, I could play a White Scars formation with black-painted models and say I'm playing Raven Guard, but it's not the same in my mind.

Having said that, I've read a lot of thoughts on this unit (or Jump Infantry in general) and have come to a conclusion.  Meh.  For the ETL I vowed a demi-squad of Assault Marines in order to start fulfilling the PA part of the Pinion Co I plan to build.  The following will happen:

Sergeant

* Lightning Claw, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bomb

Dude x3

* Chainsword, Bolt Pistol

Dude

* Flamer

Cheap squad.  The single Lightning Claw was derived from testing the dice.  Not that I'm the authority on dice-rolling results nor do I have evidence to back up the following claim: I rolled little difference in wounds caused against a single MEQ target when using a single or double LC.  So, in my mind, a single LC not only saves points, but allows the Sergeant to use his ranged weapon with the squad.

In conjunction with the pistols is the Flamer dude.  I mean, FIRE!  The indiscriminate weapon has always been a favorite of mine, and again saves points over the Plasma Pistol.

Speaking of high AP, the Melta Bomb has also been a favorite since about 4th edition for me.  With the upcoming FAQ involving grenades, it makes more sense to get one since the only dude in the squad to get one will be the only one ... using ...it?:huh.:

Ultimately, the squad is not tank-hunting and the MB is there "just in case".  Also, since they are a requirement in the Pinion, then I need to make them relatively cheap.  Likely they will be a speed-bump for another squad to do the real work.  So, if Marines shoot better than swing a sword, then let's keep a ranged weapon on them.

Is it the perfect loadout?  No.  But I don't think it's too bad for an assault squad for the Raven Guard.

Thoughts?

Most of what you're saying I echo in sentiment Race.

An assault squad isn't really a close combat unit. Just use them like a shorter range tactical squad on wings.

I prefer to run them with 2 flamers and a melta on the sarge. This puts a five man squad at a neat 100 points.

Drop them in near a blob of infantry or open top, and purge heretics.

I run some scout bikes and a locator pod in my Pinion so DS'ing the assaults on a good roasting target isn't too tough.

Melta bomb for insurance. If you've got the points. Always.

Agree, 2 deepstriking flamers is serious threat to hordes and jink-heavy armies. Close combat only to tie up enemy shooty units, or finish off weak leftovers that aren't worth overkilling with your shooty units.

If you can make the load-out work with your playstyle, then go for it.

For ETL, make sure they are rockin' BEAKY HELMETS! That is an OCD thing of mine, IF YOU HAVE A JUMP PACK, THEN YOU WEAR YOUR BEAKY HELMET! Scouts and Librarians can have bare heads, but otherwise, we, THE SILENT, keep our faces concealed.

Haha, actually I did that for this squad.  The helmets are a little on the old side (not RT-01) though.  Admittedly, I have considered going full-beaky for the army ... :whistling:

I've considered the dual-flamers and it is a very good idea because (obviously) not having to roll to-hit takes random out of the equation and that is certainly appealing.  The ETL makes it set in stone, but there are other squads in the box waiting to be built :wallbash:

For ETL, make sure they are rockin' BEAKY HELMETS! That is an OCD thing of mine, IF YOU HAVE A JUMP PACK, THEN YOU WEAR YOUR BEAKY HELMET! Scouts and Librarians can have bare heads, but otherwise, we, THE SILENT, keep our faces concealed.

Valid.

On that note. Why don't our scouts wear helmets? (Mine do, but thats beside the point.)

I've always thought it was because Scouts don't have the Black Carapace so can't wear Power Armor. Alternatively, their role on the field requires being small in profile, so do not need bulky armor. That includes a helmet. There are a few other reasons I can think of but that' lol go past the fiction barrier, so to speak.

True, tis a pity I haven't been able to find suitable heads with bandanas. I could always do camo paint on the faces though.

That is the thing with the Raven Guard. Let the Ultramarines parade around. Let the Dark Angel hunt their fallen with all the banners and bling of the 1st Legion. Let the Space Wolves howl and bay at their foes. Let the Black Templars roar and charge head-long into the enemy. We are the Sons of Corax. We appear from the shadows, swooping in to aid those that the larger Imperium has written off as acceptable losses. We do not seek the white-hot spotlight, nor the weight of fortune. We are simply the Sons of Corax, that is enough.

I'm a few hours away from finishing the ETL vow: all I have are the decals.  The reason this post is in this thread is because I have some Corvus shoulder plates in place.  You know, the studded one on the left so the Chapter badge goes on the right.  Well, if that is true, and the Codex Assault marking goes on the right pauldron for other marks, then where would it go for Mark VI?  If that makes sense.

I mean, these are assault squad dudes.  If they are wearing jump packs, doesn't that automatically look like they are Assault Marines?  In a Battle Company that means they are either 7th or 8th squads.  In a Chapter (and not in a Battle Co), then they are 8th Company.

I guess the Assault marking could go on the JP or legs, right?  Or maybe not at all because ... jump pack!

Thoughts?

Most folks just skip the squad marking on Mk. 6. I don't remember seeing anything in canon, but you can certainly add it to one of the greaves or even the side or top of the jetpack itself. I think whatever you want to do is fine. I don't use them on my DIY army at all. I use arm color to denote squad type. Green for tacs, red for assault, and black for devastator. That way I can use the chapter badge on the right, since I try to add quite a few beakies. 

It may seem the rules are reasonably flexible. Per the current Codex, there is a pic of a Mk VI where the tactical symbol (in the company color), and the Chapter badge are on the right pauldron. The painted models show the left pauldron studs in Company color and no Assault symbol at all.

Not to be contrary but I don't think I've ever seen that as anything other than a one-off.

No problem. You're kinda right. I only recall having read that throughout our long and conflicting Chapter marking quests for accuracy.

The long and short is do what you like and what you think is best. Remember these icons are painted on by marines and serfs. Each marine is allowed a level of uniqueness dependant on his armor style surely.

Studs on the left pauldron? Chapter icon goes elsewhere.

Where? Pfffft *shrugs*

• 2 weeks later...

BIG update time.

Boltgun Scout Squad 2 - 5 metal and 1 plastic dudes. The plastic dude was painted up as the Sergeant because he's got the white skin. And yes, that's the metal Missile Launcher Scout. Jes Goodwin did a great job on the metal scouts, but I hope he didn't do the ML dude because it suuuuuucks in comparison. Heck, I'm not a fan of Scouts using a ML, but I had the model and my goal is to paint like crazy to get an army ready for the table and the score on the ETL. If I ever use this guy, you'll know about it.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_134712.jpg

Shotgun Scout Squad 3 - 4 metal and 1 plastic. Again, the Sergeant is the plastic one. He's also close to mustering out of the 10th Co (see his black eyes?)The arms come from the Scout Bike box and there was a bit of fortune here: I had a spare torso and legs, but not arms for a shotgun. Scounging for bitz, I came up with the "the Sergeant is throwing a grenade, look out!" pose. That or eBay for bitz, and if I'm going that far why not just buy another metal scout? Nah, let's make the Sergeant different than the rest, in pose and substance (literally).

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_142389.jpg

Assault Squad 7 - To my surprise, I only took one completed shot of the squad (and I'm not going back for more). The pic shows the varied locations I placed the Assault icon as an answer to my own question in post 15 above. It should be obvious in this pic that one marine has the Deathwatch pauldron. Man, I bought that pack years ago and it's just cool to have a dude or two represent their service. Before the Sternguard plastics came out, I set aside soem bitz to make a plastic squad with the bolters from the metal set. That idea may be going the way of the Dodo though ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_115349.jpg

Sniper Scout Squad 7 - 5 metal scouts. This has to be the most boring squad I'll ever own due to the static poses. I mean, that's the way it was back in the day. So, as much as the current Scout models get some grief, the varied poses keeps them fresh. Needless to say, like the other squads, odd-man-out is the Sergeant. Unlike the Ninja Squad's Sergeant, I decided this squad will be lead by a dude close to transferring out of the 10th Co, hence his solid black eyes. Maybe it's just easier to paint ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_4677.jpg

Chapter Master Shrike - Metal Vanguard Veteran w/ RT-era Jump Pack. I've told this dude's story elsewhere. Want to hear it? Hear it goes: I am not a fan of the current Shrike model. Needing to be a special snowflake for my army, I wanted a model that used Corvus armor and this guy was it. Being metal I had to cut/shave off the right arm. Since only the Space Wolves had Lightning Claws worth a darn, I got a pair and did some chopping. Well, clearly I could have used the current VV LCs for this model, but I already had the work done back in 2012-ish, so I stuck with what I had for the sake of histoy. The Jump Pack will be replaced by a Dark Fury pack I got off eBay :thumbsup: But that'll be for another time. I'm thinking a full white JP, what do you think?

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_134418.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_80969.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_31992.jpg

Captain - Korvydae? Nah, coincidence. This is the Games Day 2008 dude :happy.: Since my single-thruster pack did not make it in time, I settled on a regular Jump Pack. I deliberately kept the pack from of embellishments because I really want that single thruster on him! I looked around the internets and found several versions with a helmet on, but decided against that in order to keep the model as whole as possible.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_13305.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_92017.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_66241.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_39803.jpg

Land Speeder Tornado "Darkwind" - That's right, the "unique" vehicle from the Kauyon expansion. IAfter reading the booklet and studying pics, I decided the crew was to come from the 7th Co, thus the purple trim. Obviously, that means the crew was also Tactical Marines. Since the vehicle is Unique, then the pilot is the Sergeant from the Squad. If I may try to be humble, I think that detail really gives the Speeder some character. I also decided to shave off the aquila on the front cowling and use a big Chapter badge. Having some FW brass of the aquila allowed me to place three small ones: 1 up front and 2 on the side of the intake vents.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_88197.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_58715.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_32354.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_41822.jpg

Venerable Dreadnought 2 - FW model with two FW Autocannon arms. As you will see, these were magnetized because if there is any model in the Space MArine line that should be magnetized, it's Dreadnoughts. They've just got way too many options to keep static, in my opinion. Admittedly, that opinion was formed after I build four Dreads for a previous Chapter in order to accommodate my need for variety. In keeping with the Codex, the number 2 reflects he is the 2nd Dreadnought, while the Roman numeral "V" declares he is part of the 5th Co. So, yes, Solaq has a Ven Dread in his Company! Still, thinking on a name for him.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_7330.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_8793.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_51237.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_67778.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_123091.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_44908.jpg

Again, sorry for the quality of the pics. I swear they look better IRL.

Thank you for looking! :thumbsup:

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed pic source