The LT looks good, but why are his arms painted white? Is that a Chapter-specific honor marking or rank indicator?

Race mentioned higher up that “As seen with the Primaris LT earlier, the "leaders" will get the white arms, but Captains will get the white helm.”

So, yep, looks like a cool rank indicator. I might actually steal a version of he for my DIY Chapter :)

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

The LT looks good, but why are his arms painted white? Is that a Chapter-specific honor marking or rank indicator?

Yep!  For the Raven Guard, veteran status is marked by white arms.

For my army, veterans will show such status via Codex-standards (Crux Terminatus or other symbols).  This means, for 1st Company veterans, black arms will be used with white trim.  In other words, I'll be sticking to more Codex-compliance than typical for the Raven Guard.

Having said that, this was a decision made *after* the Vanguard Vets were made (back on page 2).  Those guys will need some overhaul.  And yet, the Venerable Dreadnought on page 1 will clearly have been a leader in his normal walking days :lol:

Those legs are cool. What are they from?

This is a solid metal dude.  Well, his left arm is another piece.

Edited by Race Bannon

• 1 month later...

From the ETL ...

Devastator Centurion Squad 5

I chose Heavy Bolters and Hurricane Bolters because

xUqrcLA.gif

:laugh.:

As you can see, the squad is from the 9th Company, The Dirgesingers.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_152474.jpg

The is the rear view where you can clearly see THE CABLES ARE MISSING! The large "V" declares the squad is assigned to the 5th Company. I've never been comfortable with the idea that Battle Companies can use any other "things" in the armory, although it makes the most sense. I decided that my version is where the Reserve Companies "loan" units to the Battle Companies as needed.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_61358.jpg

From the top, you can see the various sigils that identify the unit on the shoulder. The :HS: is a little redundant but is Codex compliant and I decided to follow the Power Armor pattern where the symbol goes on the right side. Much like Terminator Armor with the Crux on the left side and the Chapter sigil to the right, I did the same here but followed the Centurion style where duplicates of the symbols are on front and back. Note: the head of the Raven Guard is facing away from the body on front and back :thumbsup:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_78232.jpg

These models were insufferable to build and paint for my taste, so this is the only Centurion unit I will own. UNLESS, GW remakes the units and/or game so they are more worthy to buy and build more.

Thank you for looking :happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon
Words, I know words

• 2 weeks later...

I know right?!

As a long-time modeler, I think the design of the piece and even how parts interlock is rather well-done. But to hhhhaaaaaiiilll with that trash anyway :P

Guitar string makes sense and is an excellent alternative :tu:

Update time!

From the ETL ... (continued apologies for using flash on my cell phone)

Chapter Champion

This is the original Emperor's Champion model. I picked up the Black Templar Army Box back in 3rd edition and held onto this dude, so yeah, he's metal.

A small brass etch of the Chapter sigil was placed on the helmet. The new base size was used. Unfortunately, back when alterations were made to the model, I was clearly not kind to the left shin, so I used a skull decal to help hide my pitiful efforts (it was back in the early 2Ks, I swear!). Clearly, PA Calgar's pack is used because BIRD HEAD! This was done with VGC Light Grey (?), washed with VGC Wash Pale Grey, then drybrushed with White Scar. The tabard is VMC German Grey, washed with Nuln Oil. The gloves were tricky: they have folds like they are non-metal and I didn't want toooo much black. So, over a black base, I edged with Ral Partha Ghost Bear Grey (the treasured color of my DIY Chapter), then light drybrush with German Grey to have a darker match to the tabard.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_2685.jpg

Looking at the right side, you can see I left the original pauldron sigil. The "paper" uses Citadel Flesh Wash for the words. I liken it to a pronouncement from the Reclusiarch on the Champion's current duty for the Chapter, or something like a mission statement.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_162834.jpg

Here, I decided to use the Chapter badge in outline as there was enough white on the model. It also hearkens to the time of Legion days when this variant of the symbol was more common. On the sword: I decided this would be the only "metal" weapon in the army. As such, no washes were used - this is striaght up Leadbelcher . The red stripe gives some definition (if that's the right word) and I'm trying to come up with an appropriately obvious name ... The Scarlet Talon ... I dunno. It'll come to me.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_110477.jpg

Company Ancient

This is the old Skulls Promotion Standard Bearer. All Ultramarine symbols were moved including (stupidly) the right shoulder icon. Don't know why I did that know :cry:

Anyway, the face is really not that bright and there are shadows painted there. The Chapter symbol on the banner and left shoulder comes from carlson793's work for DIY decals. The model is interestingly smaller than the average plastic dude in height and thickness. I mean, he has small legs! But he is super rare and that satisfied my snowflakiness. I decided the Company number (V) is sure to be in the folds of the banner, so I placed it on his left leg. It's rather big, but ... meh, he's compensating.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_38016.jpg

Since I didn't have a skull-n-wreath decal, I opted for a decal where the skull was different in some way to differentiate him from the other Company Command veterans. The pack is from the Sternguard set which gloriously did have a skull-n-wreath on it so PERFECTO!

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_70372.jpg

I think the model has the right eye closed, like he is aiming down the bolter sight or scope. You might see it here: the open eye is black, per Raven Guard gene seed.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_2157.jpg

A note of the wreaths worn on both models. Normally I would use VMC Russian Uniform Green with a VERY light wash with Agrax Earthshade. But I thought, what if the leaves came from trees on Kiavahr which is a Forge World. Maybe the pollution would darken the chemicals in the leaves? Maybe the chlorophyll is a green/brown? SO I used VMC Russian Uniform and Gryphonne Sepia, then washed over with Russian Uniform again. This was an experiment on my part and I think it breaks the black/white/red typical in my army without being too bright.

Thank you for looking :happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon
CODE RAR

The Champion looks great, but also EXTREMELY Black Templar-ish. Maybe you should replace the laurels with a feather headdress to distinguish him from Dorn's sons?

You know, that's VERY true. BUT, seeing how most of the current Black Templar players and (dare I say) in popular schema, use the current EC model, then this dude is rather rare. Having said that, I'm really of the mind that only the Black Templar Chapter should have a Champion. In other words, any form of Champion outside of the Black Templars is bordering goofy.

HAVING SAID THAT, I'm not a sculptor with anything (not even Play-doh :cry:), so I can't say I could follow-up with that suggestion. It is a good one though!

Edited by Race Bannon
Better thoughts

I like them both. The black is very smooth!

It might be the flash, but the white of the banner bearer's face seems very white. Maybe a really light wash to bring the features back a bit?

Admittedly, this is about the 5th version of RG skin I've done and have yet to find a process I'm happy with.  In effect, I guessed how I did the skin from before, which was a guess from the previous attempt, which was a guess again and again.  Although I blame the flash every time :lol:

Really though, I do want the skin to be white because it is for the RG.  Maybe not if they are dirty from fighting ...

There is a video from WHTV about painting albino skin for the RG specifically, but the style is not white enough for me.  So maybe use more White Scar?

Hmm.  Maybe I should actually try it the GW way ...

I should do something about looking at the model (forget the pics :lol:).  I mean, it's table-top for sure, but something more long-term and stress reducing needs to happen.

Thank you all for looking and feedback :tu:

Admittedly, this is about the 5th version of RG skin I've done and have yet to find a process I'm happy with.

Ulthuan Grey->Drakenhof Nightshade->Pallid Wych Flesh.

You're welcome.

That's how I did Korvydae, and it turned out perfect. I like how the Pallid Wych Flesh has JUST enough of a flesh hue to it that it looks like super pale skin instead of just white.

If you want paler you could always hit the extreme edges with some White Scar.

I got a jar of White Scar Air that I've been using for the final layer of White. I'm too lazy to thin my paints so it already being pretty thin helps.

BUT WAIT, there's more :tongue.:

Tartaros Terminator Squad 2

As you will see, I have committed to the idea of NOT using the white arms to show veteran status ... because the ARMOR does that already. Without highlights, this makes the squad BLACK and that's ok with me. Without the Crux Terminatus badge, I followed the traditional rules of the Chapter sigil on the left shoulder and decided to use the blank canvas on the right shoulder for the squad number. It's unconventional by many standards, yet it's appealing to me.

I also decided to not have the Lightning Claws "glow" as typically seen. Part of it is laziness, another part is that I've never been fond of that idea anyway. These weapons are known to have a force field, of sorts, cover the blade and THAT'S what does the damage, not the blade itself. Couldn't these fields be invisible until they come in contact with something else? I get the whole flickering with energies thing, bt maybe the Raven Guard subdues this to help with being all sneaky-sneaky. Although how can you be that sneaky in Terminator Armor :rolleyes:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_151850.jpg

Another angle of the Sergeant. For the hanging jangles, I used VGC Goy Red, then washed with Agrax Earthshade. Another color departure on the grounds this was ancient ancient armor. Or something. He had a lot of extra detail on the shoulder plates and legs and I opted for my grey+wash. Of course white helmet because leader :laugh.:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_84860.jpg

A dude. These models are less action-oriented than the Indomitus set in my opinion. Yet, I'm also no the best poser ...:sleep: So this guy is casually going to stab something.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_197479.jpg

Another dude. He's like, "you said whaaaat?"

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_158519.jpg

Dude be acting all Wolverine.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_162026.jpg

This dude is getting his anger on.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_42080.jpg

The bases are a combination of using Agrellan Earth with patches of Armageddon Dunes. I really hate the Dunes stuff, but the effect is great. I may have said it elsewhere but the colors are a base VGC Beasty Brown, drybrushed with VGC Plague Brown. Then another light drybrush of VGC Bonewhite. The rim of the base is VGC Tiera Earth. These are the Vallejo equivalent of the pattern used back in 3rd edition (which is where I spent A LOT of game time aaaand is where my love for the Raven Guard started :thumbsup:

I enjoyed working on these models. Seeing them in my hands is infinitely better than in pictures or box covers. This is certainly a favored unit in my army, as I have a particular affinity for the Terminator in this game ... if you didn't already know.

Thank you for looking! :happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon

The thing I like most about these guys is how much the red lenses stands out. I can just imagine some hapless cultist hearing something come out of the dark, and all he sees before he dies is two pinpoints of bright red light like some phantom in the darkness.

Good work Race. What’s next?

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

Thank you!

Some character love is up next.  Two models for almost half the price of five :wacko.:

I am getting some serious back log done too!  I think I have one more purchase in me to get the Xiphon into the armory, but I really need to get these infantry dudes out of boxes, you know?