@JeffTibbetts - thank you for the praise, especially considering your most excellent work on a Stormtalon recently ^_^

@Jacques Corbin - Thank you :) Since the Dread, is a recent addition to my meager army I have yet to try him out in this loadout.  Having said that, there are several reasons I did commit to this scheme.  I am a huge Battletech fan (though not the current rule set) and when FW released rules to allow dual TL autocannons on a dreadnought I was sold.  I mean, Rifleman Dreadnought sounds a bit sinister :devil:.  I've had the parts for at least 5 years waiting to get built and the ETL was my chance.  I made the arms magnetized so that I could use other combinations: with the FAQ updating the thought on grenades in HtH, Dreadnoughts are also likely to be used more often (I think).  Furthermore, I believe the Autocannon is a grossly underestimated weapon in the Space Marine arsenal and interestingly under represented as well.  Although AP4, it's Str8 for two shots is not insignificant.  Make it TL and now it has more punch, especially on a Ven Dread.  Throw this guy in a Firespear Formation and his weapons got more deadly (not game-breaking of course because he'll basically be guarding a TDA Captain and we all know that's very suboptimal, even in casual play).  Finally, all that for relatively low point cost. :yes:

@Flint13 - Thank you :tu:  I find it interesting that for master of stealth and shadow as RG are suggested, they have WHITE prominently used.  Still, the contrast is a challenge.  Have I mentioned anywhere how much black paint I have used so far?  It's amazing :pinch:

Although AP4, it's Str8 for two shots is not insignificant.

Strength 7 actually.

I find it interesting that for master of stealth and shadow as RG are suggested, they have WHITE prominently used.

Nothing forces you to use so much white; shadow captains are highly independant after all. I only use white on my sergeants' faceplates and on etched brass chapter symbols myself.

Nice Raven Guard. I added this thread to your name in the ++Victorus aut Mortis++ list.

Egads!  What was I thinking ... oh yeah, how much work I was skipping :lol:  Still, Str7 is still decent, I think.

Thank you for adding this thread to the list ^_^

• 1 month later...

Update time.

My 3rd ETL vow was made knowing it would be a challenge and turned out to be more than that. Yet, the results were rewarding.

Hyperios Sentry Battery

Many many moons ago, I had purchased some recasts for these launchers because they were sort of worth a darn way back when (way before the multitude of flyers we have now). So, this unit is not really effective, especially at its current cost. Still, easy to paint :thumbsup:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_620179.jpg

Land Speeder Squad 3

That's right, three Land Speeders. I have often whined about building these things and now I can say I am done with them. You will see a twin-linked Heavy Bolter in the gunner's hands. After some research and verification, Land Speeders with two weapons cannot fire at separate targets. So, instead of converting an underhull weapon, I decided to put both weapons up top. I'm happy with the "conversion". I even used some FW brass for icons on the guns :happy.:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_295206.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_613625.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_946249.jpg

Vanguard Veteran Squad 2

The crow of the vow (imo). These used the FW Red Scorpion VV torso w/ JP (whined about in my Oath blog). They really came out well, I think. You'll see big V on the packs because I wanted to show them as assigned to the 5th Co. Since I had a FW Raptors decal sheet barely used, these came in good use (besides, I didn't have any white roman numeral decals otherwise). I also used Elite designation decals on shoulders without some other design.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_1261557.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_714059.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_604431.jpg

Techmarine

3rd edition metal model. Been waiting to paint this guy for a while and the ETL gave me that chance. Although I do own a modern Techmarine (w/ servitors), I wanted to get the oldest model done first. His skin is a very light grey - I deviated from the traditional white skin as a way to show his link to the Machine-God is taking away his "humanity". yet the full black eye was kept because that just makes sense.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_587000.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_975857.jpg

Chaplain with Jump Pack

Metal minature and one of my favorite Chaplain models. The Jump Pack is the real Character here, I think. I intended this item to be the relic "Raven's Fury" - the description declares it looks like a regular pack but has plasma-engines to make it go faster :tongue.: So, my take on that was the gold skull and cross bones above the intake vents as a way to hide parts of the nifty engines. To add some thickness to the pack I used the winged skull bits. Both of these were paintd using my previous style (which took longer to paint, yet also showed more detail ... if you were looking close enough). Much like the Vanguard Squad above I decided to use a decal showing the Chaplain attached to the 5th Co. Since the pack covered the shoulder pads, the Chapter badge went onto the Pack ... which I noticed is not aligned right :blink.: Oh, well. If my opponent notices then I'll fix it :ph34r.:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_251156.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_504210.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_504210.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_483246.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed pic source

@DSS7 and Nostalgia!

I agree on the Techmarine, yet seeing one in the Codex pic had me thinking about using one as well. He's also in a couple of Formations so, for the ETL, it was worth the time to put in for one. If I had one more week, I would try painting up a Librarian ^_^

I know, right!?  I think the skull helmet is the clincher here, because it's the only one in the entire line that looks like he is using someone's head for a helmet.  I was really pleased with the results from the brush, if I may be so humble ^_^

Land Speeder Tempest - Squad 7

Is it crazy to think this model is one of the treasures of my collection? I mean, it's an expensive model from Forge World that is way past it's prime, no matter what FW does to keep up with GW's game editions and Flyer rules. Yet, it's a really good looking model (I think), that has withstood the test of time. I'm considering pushing back a Tactical Squad purchase for a second one, even knowing the only way I could use the unit is in a CAD (which I'm preferring not to do at this point, because ... well, just because :tongue.:

Anyway, thanks again to Carlson793 for his work on the RG decal sheet. Although I have some of FW RG decals, I'm saving them for models that will certainly get more use than the Tempest. You will see that all the identifying markings deviate slightly from Codex standard. The Chapter icon is on both sides of the fuselage and the squad-type symbol is on the dorsal faring (which actually conforms to Imperial Armour V2. I added the squad number on the side panels because RG uses a stylized number image (i.e not Roman numeral) and that there would be no other way to discern which squad the pilot was from. Yet, the biggest deviation is the Roman numeral "V" inside the :Troops: - this is the Company designation. Again, since I have a large Raptors decal sheet that is getting little use, it occurred to me to use this pic this way, thus saving other pics for the future.

For the model itself, the wings are not elevated to make the model symmetrical, but it's a slight cosmetic issue I did not overcome in construction. I also left off the speed sensor prongs from the wings because, in it's design, these bits are very fragile, making transport a sticky issue. So, I just left them off; it's a popular choice from my Google searches as well :laugh.:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_996149.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_422533.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_524717.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_991088.jpg

Thank you for looking! :happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed source links

The upcoming Deathwatch Codex is getting a lot of talk everywhere.  Admittedly, it looks good.  From a Mod PoV, it's been challenging to keep up with the discussions; less about the news and rumors and more about the rules and regulations ;).

I decided to post pics of my Deathwatch in this thread because I did it before all other whipper-snappers :lol:  I mean, we're talking 3rd/4th edition style with the Deathwatch conversion bits.

The Leader

Made from Tactical plastic parts of the day, Azrael's combi-plas and the Ravenwing biker power weapon (I think)

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/ki2pbSq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U73gScg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I1EmSE6.jpg

The Dudes

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/GNlGOZX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nQ6xNVU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/naRUQPY.jpg

Since I had the camera I decided to capture a few other pics of my older models.  Looking at the collection, only a few could be related to the Raven Guard (tenuously too).

Assassin and Techpriest

Both models are metal.  The Assassin uses 2nd edition-style painting (when my eyes were much better at painting detail).  The Techpriest is here because he is the prize of my collection.  This model is ancient and was a rare to get even back in RT-days.  He was my first attempt at dry-brushing and layering.  Hard to see in the pic though.  

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/8cOspnJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rVJ4Y4b.jpg

Space Marine Fleet

I have 4 Strike Cruisers and at least six of each of the frigates.  A Battle Barge is waiting to get painted.  The grey for the hull and white for the panels was from my older army, yet I may keep it for my RG because ... would thy really paint these massive ships black?!  Well, I'm not repainting all these models for a game I last played in 200 ... 4?

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/S4omzqD.jpg

Thank you for watching! ^_^

So, I didn't think I could do it, but I did it and should have done it for the ETL. Fortune favors the bold and I would have been very fortune because this would have been my 5th vow. Oh well. I guess the next ETL has a ceiling I can beat :tongue.:

Thunderfire Cannon

All metal. That made it awesome because I didn't have to deal with miscasts and warped parts (not that warping is tough to deal with). It's not so awesome because it's heavy as hell relative to the rest of my collection ... for only 100 points in a game at that. Let me say, the Techmarine model is beautifully packed with detail and that makes it ironically a PITA to paint for the unit. In fact, the whole unit seems a bit ... busy when juxtaposed against every other unit in the Space Marine arsenal, even for Space Wolves!

Now then, why use a static unit in a Raven Guard list, isn't that a bit unfluffy? Bump that: RG have everything in their armory like a Codex Chapter would have. Since I have a unit in my collection from many years ago, then 1+1=2. SO now I have one painted in case I decide to use one and I am a fan of the unit anyway.

Oh, and I have a second metal one already primmed ... I think I'll wait a bit to paint it though because I don't want to paint all that metal again.

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed source links

Haha, no kidding!  Thank you 2nd edition!  It was one of those "because the rest of the army has them, then so will these guys".  The gaming tables (at the time) were also covered with that bright green flock, as I recall.  As if war had just arrived to the planet filled with paradise-covered grass ... and that rusted out sewage refinery next to the duct-tape/swizzle-straw/soda can thing ...

Ah, see I started playing 40k the week the 3rd edition BRB (the one with the Black Templar) dropped in '98.

Still remember marching in my LGS and demanding one b/c I was a pushy 10 year old :lol:

More stuff!

Vindicator Tank 7

So, painting I tank, I have relearned, takes A LOT of paint. I mean, I knew what I was getting into by choosing the Raven Guard, but I forgot how much it takes to get a vehicle covered. The Land Speeders were a lot of real estate, but that's mixed up by it's shape. A tank is a really big box, relatively speaking. Without other colors to break up the black (like, oh I don't know ... any other color), then it's a tall order to get it done. I was painting the black throughout the ETL, which is how this got done so quick.

I decided to use a Marine gunner because I had never done that for a SB mount/hatch. It also sort of codifies my plan for vehicle crew in my army. The gunner/driver dudes are not full techmarines as I understand it, just dudes with extra technical training. Thus, they get the AdMech right shoulder. Still, he is a Raven Guard dude first, thus I opted the rest of the guy to have the Chapter colors.

You will see, the vehicle number being "7", whille the Company assignment being "V". Both were intentionally small decals because I didn't want their markings to be big :tongue.:. That and the Chapter badge is not only small, but the outlined version. Again, to minimize the detail.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_1291615.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_277749.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_1106510.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_1190799.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed source links

I find it interesting that for master of stealth and shadow as RG are suggested, they have WHITE prominently used.

Not that surprising. Shadows aren't actually black, they are gray. If you have a black human shape in gray shadow, it tends to stand out. The white arms on the Vanguard Vets serve to change the silhouette from being human shaped to something more nebulous, which fools the eye into thinking it is something else.

If you want to be stealthy, matte charcoal gray is better than black.

And now for ...

Terminator Librarian

Interesting discussion here. Based on that, I decided on one arm being the Librarina blue. The tabard I decided on being a "dirty white" because of contrast and he is a ... "veteran"? Ok, I made the second part up as I type this.

This is the metal version so he is heavy. He'll also not get a lot of table-time, but at least he's painted. I also worked on the base colors during the ETL and is the last model with any advance work, so my progress will be slow going forward.

I like how he turned out :happy.:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_1041370.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_9132.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_415284.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_722945.jpg

Edited by Race Bannon
Changed source links