@Valaas - It's Testors brand in the states.  I'm sure Amazon would treat the UK well (if Testors is not available there).  I use white paper.  I tried clear paper, thus painting under the transfer white, but the results were not as "bright".  I still use FW decals for the Chapter badge because it is still superior and what I am most used to using ... until my meager supply runs out, then it's DIY all the way ^_^

@Prot - Thank you!  High praise from you :)  As for action, not yet for several reasons, primarily being family time has soaked up so much free time since Halloween.  Also, as bikes I don't really plan to use them soon besides the fact both squads are not "done".  Coincidentally I inventoried two more bikes per squad and an Attack Bike (for 5 total left to do).

Having said that my next project will be two sets of two bikes to flesh out a demi-squad for both squads.  I'm thinking the Attack Bike may be a third squad to allow for additional AB to fill out the unit.  So, when the AB is purchased for the Bike Squad it is more "Attached" to the unit than coming from within the squad.  I'm not a fan of the idea actually, but I'm less a fan of committing an AB to Squad 1, then another AB to Squad 7 if I don't actually purchase the AB on the list.  And what if I get a AB squad: then the unit is made from AB of different squads?  Bump that, the attachment idea works fine for me.

This is actually why I have always been reluctant to commit models to a specific squad.  But when I committed to the Raven Guard I decided to just go for it.  I feel more complete doing so, if that makes sense.

Totally get what you mean about the squad markings. Committing models to a unit always feels like a double edged sword. You get to feel good because you get a sense of completion and unity amongst your models. But on the other hand, it commits you to squad make-ups from a cosmetic point of view that cost you flexibility. I have struggled with the same thing. Raven Guard, more so than most chapters, feel incomplete with a lack of markings/decals. I think you made the right choice by going the extra mile. It makes subtle difference!

Looking good! :biggrin.:

• 1 month later...

So, it's been a while.  Livingin the southern part of the U.S. means this time of year it can get cold, relatively speaking.  My painting table is in the baseme ... cave, thus being underground means the area can be several degree colder than outside.  So, the break gave me a chance to center myself, consider and plan future projects and do other things non-hobby-related.  The downside to the break is that my stored collection doesn't get finished obviously.

So, what have I done?  It's a slight fib that I have done NOTHING since my previous post.  On warm(er) days I do get to dab some paint on something before I whimp out ^_^

Side project 1 - Sevrin Loth

During the summer ETL, I would have side projects laying around that allowed me to use overflow paint from the tray to keep it from being wasted.  Although these side projects could not be used in the ETL, the goal was to have a constant revolving project of stuff to paint.  I have a perception that painting is the hobby process that shows the most progress toward completion.  In other words, building the model is the "chore".  Thus, if I have hobby time but don't want to paint, then I get the knife and glue and get to the next thing as much as I can.

So, this dude was bought shortly after release and I finally have him finished, (pics later).  It's taken almost 8 months :lol:

Side project 2 - Thunderfire Cannon 2

The second in my collection and also metal like the first (yep, that old).  I gotta say, I really never liked the model.  But I chose to work on them because they are likely to see action before other stuff (and it gets them out of the bin).  But the more I added paint, the less I wanted to work on it.  I recently decided to find an alternative model.  Even if it's a kitbash, then I'm hunting for something I prefer.  If that means literally throwing away the metal models, then I'll do it.  I'm just no longer a fan of the model, yet really like the concept and rules.  I have other conditions but I don't want to sound more whiney than I am now.

Although the Techmarine will keep getting love.  He's about 75% done.

Side project 3 - Rhino/Razorback/Predator

This will be Lascannon loaded: sponsons, RB turret and TLLC.  Magnetized like the first one I completed here.  The parts are built, just need to basecoat to get proper treatment.

That's about it.  I do have 4 other bikes I want to finish too to get them done.

Based on this, I may start on the tank and make the bikes the next side project.  The Thunderfire will get planning treatment, much like my "Shadow Hawk" and whatever name I come up with the "counts as Stormraven".

Thank you for reading!

Sorry (not sorry) for double-posting. But here is the man:

Librarian (Power Armor)

As mentioned above, this is my Sevrin Loth model. Although not a fan of backpacks with poles and flags on them, I wanted to keep this model intact as much as possible. I really had to use an FW RG shoulder pad though. Loth's left pad is reeeaaallly cool though and better to be used on another dude I am likely to use more often. Btw, kudos to a fellow Mod for gifting the shoulder pad to me (you know who you are). The axe is not really my prefered weapon in-game even though it is a preferred weapon for Rule of CoolTM , again I wanted to preserve the model "as is". Besides, I'm not likely to use Librarians anyway. Never was a fan of them since Rogue Trader (when they could get monstrously awesome then). Is it odd that I want to use a squad of Grey Knights then?

As for the quality of the pic, I read somewhere that black models on a white background degrades the quality of the photo (and there was technical talk that I glossed over). Not having the resources to get a pro-level background printed out I went for a cardboard box. I tinkered with my crappy camera and ... well .. honestly I settled.

So, I painted the runes on his legs blue because ... Librarian ... about three months ago. Last week I was able to finish the axe arm and without looking, grabbed the VCG Warlock Purple. After I realized what I did, I went through the 5 Stage of Grief and now realize it's not too bad. The runes go with the right arm :happy.: I checked the Terminator Librarian dude for continuity and noticed I painted the lightning on his shoulder pad yellow, so had to do the same on this Librarian. Coincidentally with the blue runes/arm thing, I made the arch on the cloth yellow. After the washes they really help keep the style together, I think.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_52114.jpg

The book was a mixed bag for me. I typically use a precious dabble of old Citadel Flesh Wash on a tiny brush, yet as soon as a scribble touched another one, they blobbed together. Another line later it happened again! At that point I thought, "OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE, LET THE GALAXY BURN!!!1one". After it all dried I guess it could look like a picture was in the book and that at this scale ... meh.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_150720.jpg

With the Terminator Librarian, I forgot to wash the arm and shoulder pad, yet IRL the blue is not as blue as the pic shows; it's much darker (yay flash?). So, for this guy, I intentionally didn't wash the blue. Besides, tests on a dummy model had the blue become VERY dark which is not what I wanted.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_132512.jpg

I decided against script on the leg parchment because ... tabletop quality, yo. By the Emperor I read utterly lazy ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_22712.jpg

:happy.:

Edited by Race Bannon
CODES

Thank you for looking/reading!

I have a pot of old Citadel Blue Wash )old being that hexagon shaped pot with the flip top, before the Bolter Round version).  It came out really dark blue, actually almost violet.  I'm sure I could do better, but once the Libby was done, I decided to keep the flow for continuity.

Great stuff Race, the ol' motivation wagon is a constant problem for just about Everyone,there's only a few out there that have the Genetics to keep at it like machines...:mellow.:

as for the rest of us...here be found the motivation in looking at others work, i like your latest stuff,that old pot of wash!! i remember those,very dangerous in the fact they could change any colour you put it on to be so completely different...i'd say they are nearly as strong as those new tints nowadays :ohmy.:  go get yourself some Guilliman blue wash and add some Lahmian medium and then it'll be better...although i like what you have already(from experience i'm mentally removing the flash effect in my mind and it lets me decipher how good i imagine it to be :cool.: )

I know you like to do grey's on your models but i think he should get a Leadbelcher chest eagle just to make him stand out a wee bit from the usual suspects(My 2cents)

Keep at it and i look fwd to seeing you do those 4 bikes :wub.:

Cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

@mithrilforge (great forum nanme btw) - Thank you!  High praise from you :tu:  I sorta trapped myself with the grey chest eagles.  Coincidentally, I did have him with a Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oli ^_^.   I then painted over with some gold color I have (can't recall as I sit to reply) and washed again with Nuln Oil.  Gold because ... Librarian ... and it was way off from the rest.  So, thinking I really botched it up and didn't want to dunk him, the grey chest is actually the third coat (not including washes) and he really fits with the rest of the army (sans the Chaplain).

So far, in my opinion, black is both forgiving and unforgiving depending on the surrounding "stuff" on the model and the colors you've applied to those bitz.

@Jacques - Thanks man :yes:  I got my Storm before the financial bottom fell out for me, so I'm glad I have at least one to work on.  I found a post here where a dude magnetized the riders and gave pics of the magnet placement, so I may copy that even though it will add a :cuss-ton of work to a low-cost model.  If I come to my senses by the time I get around to mine, then I may just flip a coin to have the crew onboard when I glue it all together :lol:

@mithrilforge (great forum name btw) - Thank you!  High praise from you :thumbsup:  I sorta trapped myself with the grey chest eagles.  Coincidentally, I did have him with a Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oli :happy.:.   I then painted over with some gold color I have (can't recall as I sit to reply) and washed again with Nuln Oil.  Gold because ... Librarian ... and it was way off from the rest.  So, thinking I really botched it up and didn't want to dunk him, the grey chest is actually the third coat (not including washes) and he really fits with the rest of the army (sans the Chaplain).

hahaha funny that eh,you already tried it :biggrin.:  i guess being more in line with the rest of the army should probably have precedence over coolness,perhaps even that is his form of "camo" ...fitting into the background and all :wink: 

i know the feeling on doing more than a couple coats on a model that you feel was done wrong....and you don't want to ruin all the other good work by simply dropping him into simple green :ohmy.:, i think you made the right choice.

cheers Mithril  

Nah, I just glue mine in. I have a rep as a sound fx guy at my local FLGS on 40K night. I love to play a sound-bite of the General Lee's horn blaring from the Dukes of Hazzard when the LSS arrives from Outflank with the Razorback, and it's Ride of the Valkyrie when the Raptor Wing zooms on.

I guess you could do magnetized riders, to show embarked or not. I do not think it is worth the effort. Unless I really really have to spot for something, my Scouts stay embarked on their hovering pickup truck. Thanks to the FAQ...

1) Is there room on the LSS for 25mm bases?

2) If not, is it feasible to magnetize the riders so they could be moved from the LSS to bases?

It would be cool to have the embarked squad actually be the guys you use when they disembark.

1) Not for five dudes.

So, 2) Yes, but the bases would be heavily designed for action poses in some way.  I've seen it done ^_^

The value of such work is relative.  For my part, I'm not going that far.  The Storm has been an interesting model to consider how to handle it (riders or not).  For many, it's a simple decision.  If this is the thing that keeps me awake, then I must not have too many problems :P