On the subject of Librarians, I was tempted to take a Librarius Conclave alongside my current CAD, allowing to take some kind of transport for them.

And then was thinking about Terminator armour, Storm shields, Force Axes... And realized I was hitting 400pts for a 3 man quasi-death star.

And thought "Nah.." I'd rather just add a GK allied detatchment to my army.

Librarius Conclave is sick!

If we were able to put it into a Talon Strike Force I would be such a happy person, however, no go.

Best thing you could do would be to split up the unit (I think you can do that), maybe 2 in an actual star of 3-5 Dev Centurions - and the other babysitting another unit. 

Put the above bad-boys in a Pod and who needs a Landraider when you've already decimated your opponent?

Edited by RedJoker

Still want to give a Librarian Swiftstrike and Murder and roll on Fulmination.

Assault 6 primaris power plus potential Fists of Lightning on top of SS&M? The dude could murder entire Guard platoons in a single turn :)

No exaggeration. I did the math, 42 potential attacks from one guy.

Your Librarian looks great, Race.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the props on the Librarian guys :happy.:

With Talon's Reach, I can give attention to vehicle models that need it, but tend to get pushed down the list for more shiny units.

Although I should get to work on infantry units, I've been mind-juggling a particular unit I don't own: a Stormtalon.  Two formations need this unit, Storm Wing and Raptor Wing (actually it needs two Stormtalons).  But I am not a fan of the Stormtalon's style, so I am considering an alternative.  Interestingly, I *am* a fan of the Stormhawk. So, can I make a two-in-one version?  The answer is "yes" but takes a little technical mashing for head-canon to jive with the model.  Check dis out ...

Use the Stormhawk hull and wings

Magnetize the nose weapon(s) with some sensor array

Swap the two lower 'Hawk thrusters with the four 'Talon thrusters

Victory

Sorry I don't have pics for this idea, but allow me more eye-time with the idea. 

• The Talon and Hawk share two weapons 1) TL Assault Cannon, 2) weapon pod [also magnetized but my preferred loadout is the Skyhammer].  But the Hawk has a third weapon in the nose.  So, if I used the Talon configuration, then something needs to fill the space at the nose.  I'll have to actually own the kit to figure out what can fit.
  • Now then, the thrusters.  The Talon has hover ability and the rotating engines on the wings makes this visually obvious.  But, I think the Raven Guard are less likely to use this ability as a part of their SoP.  So, fitting smaller thrusters under the Hawk's belly allows for brief hover capabilities.

AND ... this lets me call this variant the Shadow Hawk :yes:

Ultimately the goals are:

• Save money
  • Get my snowflake on
Edited by Race Bannon
Words

Sounds neat. Kinda want to see you build it now. I always saw the Storm Talons as the 40k version of an Apache helicopter, with a similar battlefield role.

My latest "I want it" is the Land Speeder Tempest. Need to find out if my local GW store will accept them as replacements for standard Land Speeders in a BDC.

My big issue actually is with the Stormtalon that makes me cringe is the Chin mounted assault cannons.  Its not the fact they are chin mounted but the fact they are FREAKING HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! To resolve this issue I use/ plan to use the assault cannons off of the land speeder to slime the profile down. 

This idea sounds good.  

I need to get tempest for my raptors.....

Tempest + Raptors = uber. Check mine out:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_6059_3967032.jpg

gallery_6494_6059_3661676.jpg

gallery_6494_6059_2420826.jpg

gallery_6494_6059_2538441.jpg

gallery_6494_6059_3993862.jpg

This guy became the RG version earlier in this thread.

I get the chin TLAC size. That' doesn't bother me too much though; the whole profile is just funky looking. Yet, I was inspired by this thread in WIP. When I saw the Hawk canopy on the Talon hull, my swirling nodes of thought to a conversion of sorts became a whirlwind.

The real hurdle is owning one and not putting it at the top of the to-do list :lol:

Ok that is sick like it a lot better with the armored shield.

Oh I keep looking at yours and am like Damn it I need one. I think the stormtalons will be dropped for them so I can still have landspeeders, stormhawks, and tempest in my list.

Yeh I thought the canopies could be switched fairly easily.

Which means if youre happy with your Talon having wings instead of the stubby thrusters could probably do a dual kit build

I modified my Talons a bit, because I wasn't a fan with the design.

Ill post when I get home

Thank you for the props on the Librarian guys :happy.:

With Talon's Reach, I can give attention to vehicle models that need it, but tend to get pushed down the list for more shiny units.

Although I should get to work on infantry units, I've been mind-juggling a particular unit I don't own: a Stormtalon.  Two formations need this unit, Storm Wing and Raptor Wing (actually it needs two Stormtalons).  But I am not a fan of the Stormtalon's style, so I am considering an alternative.  Interestingly, I *am* a fan of the Stormhawk. So, can I make a two-in-one version?  The answer is "yes" but takes a little technical mashing for head-canon to jive with the model.  Check dis out ...

Use the Stormhawk hull and wings

Magnetize the nose weapon(s) with some sensor array

Swap the two lower 'Hawk thrusters with the four 'Talon thrusters

Victory

Sorry I don't have pics for this idea, but allow me more eye-time with the idea. 

• The Talon and Hawk share two weapons 1) TL Assault Cannon, 2) weapon pod [also magnetized but my preferred loadout is the Skyhammer].  But the Hawk has a third weapon in the nose.  So, if I used the Talon configuration, then something needs to fill the space at the nose.  I'll have to actually own the kit to figure out what can fit.
  • Now then, the thrusters.  The Talon has hover ability and the rotating engines on the wings makes this visually obvious.  But, I think the Raven Guard are less likely to use this ability as a part of their SoP.  So, fitting smaller thrusters under the Hawk's belly allows for brief hover capabilities.

AND ... this lets me call this variant the Shadow Hawk :yes:

Ultimately the goals are:

• Save money
  • Get my snowflake on

I think you've seen these?

I too thought about trying the dual method.  However, the issue of the chin, which also doubles as landing gear got me as well.  

In the end, I just went with the simple canopy swap.  I do like the engine pods especially when the primary use is as Talons.  I very rarely use a CAD of my RG, so the stormhawk, while an attractive model never really suits my needs.  

Today I finally completed a project for the Talon's Reach event ... a tank!

As you will see, it's a Rhino hull with the requisite markings for the Chapter and Company assignment. I used the front pate from a Baal Predator, then used a FW brass etched piece. It reads "Umbra Mortis". I tried painting within the brass piece to give it color, pop, and pizzaz, yet the more I painted, the more it sucked. So I said, ":cuss :censored::censored: and :censored: you!" then painted over it all with my equipment grey and washed it with Nuln Oil as I usually do for other things. It turned out just fine :happy.:

Anyway, in the pic are pieces for another FW Whirlwind Launcher (numbered 6), as well as the Razorback turrets for a HB and LC. The doors have Tactical markings for the 6th Squad (which is yet to be made but is now committed). I also decided to paint an attachable dozer blade - no magnets. It's got two long metal pins that stab into the front hull.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_27554.jpg

As a Rhino with dozer blade:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_76739.jpg

Power on the camera ran out before I could take more and I am too impatient to make more. Seriously, it's just a Rhino/Razorback/Whirlwind :tongue.:

Edited by Race Bannon

Well :cuss ... To glue drop pod doors shut or not? I could really care less either way and feel satisfied with either result.

Or magnets. That could make transport easier.

Unless I'm crazy wrong and the pod doors don't matter anymore whether they are open or not, then gluing them closed gets the project done faster for obvious reasons.

Curious for opinions.

I glued most of mine shut, then it hit me that I wanted to do some death-storm drop pods so I left some open for the future.  if you get them together properly they actually snap shut for transport.  The whirlwind variant took a bit of a hit when it went to cookie from pie plate but now there are 5 independent cookies instead of one large blast, but the Assault cannon version got really mean.  It hits the table and can fire at 5 different targets per turn, instant fire magnet as it can hurt almost anything on the table.  Now to figure out how to build or buy 6 of each.

Leinad