Welp, the armory grows...

Rhino for Tactical Squad 3

This was easier than I expected (even though I have painted about 10 of these things since they were introduced :pinch: ). As you will see, the "V" at the rear of the tanks shows the company number while the "3" on the doors show the squad number. As before I placed the squad number on magnetized doors so i can use the hull as other vehicles like a Whirlwind or Predator. The pic below has the Razorback top plate but not the weapon because they were built in other iterations. I also decided to make a gunner using the Storm Bolter for variety.

Unfortunately, the top plate :Troops: icon decal got torn at the tip. Meh.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_67361.jpg

Here is the dozer blade attached:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_164365.jpg

Without the blade. BUT I decided last minute to add an Imperial Fist badge at the rear on this side. This is to signify this tank (in whatever form) was involved in a mission with the Imperial Fist Chapter :tu: Really, I have ton of decals available and I wanted to change this hull in some minor way. It gives the hull a wee bit of personality. Besides, the WFFDN event is kicking about now and the entries have been spectacular there.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_161256.jpg

Now I really need to get to building some infantry soon :lol:

I've been stewing over an idea ... not using white for arms on veterans :unsure.:

"But Race, :RTBBB:"  I know, I know.  This edition has given us a very clear definition for how to paint infantry models.  Also consider the art in Angels of Death and even Shadow Talon.  Clearly, any member from the 1st Company and Shadow Captains get white arms and Sergeants can get the white helmets.  I know!

But ...

What about following a more traditional approach:  white trim for the right pauldron only?  For Terminators, the arms are also black - I mean TDA is the mark of a veteran, right?  I still think Shadow Captains will keep the white arms though.

I dunno.  Just a thought.

Edited by Race Bannon
Dumb phone

I like the idea for just the Pauldron trim :yes:  i never was a fan of OMG :huh.:  a whole white arm... the white helmet yes but not the arm,it never looked aesthetically pleasing to me :sad.:

Go for it Race, show us how it looks when it's done.

Mithril

P.S. i remember those greyknights in black, i recall opening the white dwarf and going ooh they look cool :cool.:  Black Knights!

if i were to do them that way i'd def go for a boltgun base with a heavy blueish wash first then several coats of a 50/50 Nuln Oil gloss/Lahmian Medium mix in select areas,whilst trying to avoid pooling....makes me want to go paint one as a test now :tongue.:

Edited by mithrilforge

Easy.

Raven Guard change up their appearance from time to time to confound enemy intelligence gathering. It's actually canon, even.

My Vanguard Vets look really good with less white on them. There's still an abundance there, but it's not the whole arm.

Zomg, Realityburn that's brilliant!  If I have my canon right, the Raptors Chapter are well-known to do this.

So, if the Raven Guard are less forgiving than their successor, then surely sight modifications are allowed.

You all are so awesome on so many levels ^_^

Easier solution Race......PAINT THEM OD Green....Raptors don't need white arms....breaks up the camo except fr urban and snow environment.... :wink:

seriously white arms look odd trim or shoulder pads look better

So, the other night I was surfacing Facebook when a friend posted a pic of his newly built Spartan tank from FW. Admittedly, I am always envious when I see dudes with this model because I have always been a fan of this vehicle since it's introduction in RT days. So much so I built one so I could be the special snowflake of the gaming group. It's my biggest conversion project ever (the pic is at least 10 years old, the model itself is 20+ years old :wacko.: ):

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_143703.jpg

Remembering the model was tucked away in a box, my brain started firing creative synapses ... Let's look at the model today:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_16466.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_99594.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_71525.jpg

And for some size comparison (I don;t have a current LR built ... yet :wink: )- A Sniper Scout v RT Spartan:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_90676.jpg

A Rhino vs RT Spartan:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_582_160035.jpg

The hole at the top is where RT-era Terminator models could stand in and it fit two models then. Now only 1 could it and you'd need to figgle it in :tongue.:

Now then, the thought - a Spartan currently has a quad Lascannon sponson. So how to make a pair? Well, why make them when you can BUY THEM

gallery_6494_582_40083.jpg

The Spartan also has a TL Heavy Bolter and a Razorback top plate fits over the hole above perfectly. So I could use the humble Razorback turret!

So, when I posted elsewhere that I may be able to make a Spartan tank for $30 (the cost of the sponsons), this is what I was thinking about.

The problem though is that the RT Spartan is clearly shorter in length than the current FW Spartan. I'm thinking not to give a flying :censored: because ... of ... rule of cool?

Edited by Race Bannon

And now for something different yet similar:

Rhino for Devastator Squad 9

Like the Rhino in a post above, this was easy to build and paint. I feel like I'm in a groove :happy.:

"But Race, why make a Rhino for a Devastator Squad? I mean, hardly anybody gives a Rhino to the squad! C'mon man, it should have been a Razorback. Or a Drop Pod because Skyhammer Annihilation those are better options."

Good question, but actually there is a Razorback top plate finished :yes: Actually, the hard truth is that the FW Space Marine transfer sheet had the transfers for this tank!

You will see on the side door, under the :HS: is a "9". Thanks again to Carlson793's work on the Gothic Decal sheet and testor's for making DIY decals a possibility and a living hell.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_41073.jpg

As you should expect, the doors are magnetized :thumbsup: I used an outlined Chapter sigil to be different :rolleyes:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_22362.jpg

Thank you for reading and looking!

Edited by Race Bannon
CODES

As an opinion, they are not as ... Smooth to use as regular transfer sheets. It's a reasonably involved process. I'll need to not be on my pad to go into detail as I experience it.

I mean, if you want personalized transfer on the cheap, then the cost is mostly in quality. Functional quality to be sure. Thank Corax the armor is black!