The Rhino-As-A-Bunker is very much a thing right now in the meta. Lots of Gladius lists will have at least their devastators in a rhino, and they keep em cheap. We're talking 5-Man, 2 Gravs, in a Rhino. The guys never get out, the two gravs just shoot out the top hatch. Makes another layer your opponent has to go through to get to the grav cannons.

@NiceGuyAdi - I do use white paper, but it's a solid black sheet expect for the sigil.  Looking at Carlson793's work - that's a lot of black ink. BUT, this helps when painting over the black parts of the decals I do not have to work about the space in-between the feathers on the wings or between the head and "shoulders" like you would with outlined sigils.

At the same time, you have to deal with odd shaped decals onto the model versus the FW or "normal" decal sheet.  Also, Testor's decal sheet is thicker than regular sheets, so even if you use a gloss coat over the decal (as you should, to protect the decal) which tends to smooth the surface transition from the model to/from the decal, it's still an elevated area.  At certain angles this is very noticeable.  Thus, going back to the odd-shaped decal, unless you cut rounded edges, then you will have decal corners visible that clearly show the edges of the decal on the model.

All of that is about the aesthetic of the physical decal though.  AND it can all go away if you get a professional to make it for you.  After some research on that, the cost was way too high for me to bear.  As my goal is table-top quality, people are likely to be looking at the model at a distance, and the home DIY route is just fine for me ^_^

Ok, I've committed a group of models to Shadow War.  I want to use the Scion heads for this group as they are going to be "special" because they are not likely to be used in the regular game.  I'll still need to see the rules before I actually start building models though.

So, these guys are going to be 10th Squad lead by Sergeant Ty'Kos (a play of the name Twycross from Battletech [which is the name of a village in England,but I digress]).  Don't know much more after that.

@war009 - Over a dead body.  Not mine, I'm too awesome of course.  I mean ... no.  Nope.  Nyoooope.  No.  I'm not sure I'll be using a Land Raider at all this edition :lol:

Frankly, I went to check on the rubber-banded resin/plastic mass and I'm not really sure if I care enough to fill in the gaps with anything.  By Corax I *shoud* though.

@Realityburn - you will.  If you don't ... then you deserve a Coke ^_^

You give me hope....I want a mkI, Spartan or 2, and a Proteus for my 30k EC army....plus the damn Fire Raptor nightmare too. I CAN'T to glue them to my hands......:unsure.:

Well, those are full resin kits so you *might* be good :tu:

It's the unholy alliance of plastic and resin.  Shame on FW.  yet, without them, we would not have the beauty and awe that the MkII inspires.  So thank you FW :teehee:

"Good afternoon! How are you, I hope you are well. At the same time, I must admit, I did not miss you very much."

gallery_6494_11942_117620.jpg

As I type this, the rear exhausts are setting.

Oh, what do we have here that arrived in the mail? Thank you RealityBurn. Thumbs up to you ^_^

gallery_6494_11942_82541.jpg

Sorry for the messy table in the pics. Yes, that is a Baal Assault Cannon Predator turret getting the Raven Guard treatment. A dude has dreams ...

Edited by Race Bannon
CODES, grr

"Good afternoon!  How are you, I hope you are well.  At the same time, I must admit, I did not miss you very much."

I need to start using this line in real life.

I like your rhinobackwhirlwindator. Yes, I know it's from january but I just don't fancy the old grey knights and the even older spartan. Looking forward to the tempest land speeder though... if that's what is in the Forge World bag.

@KotR - long time no see ^_^

Thank you very much for looking! Those old GK model really shows their age eh? Especially my paint job :ohmy.:

The Spartan is a mixed bag for me. Compared to the FW version, the RT-era conversion ... sucks :lol: Yet, I have some history with this game and that model has moved with me. Having built a current style LR, I do plan to spruce the Spartan a bit. The Kromlech guns will be a tough investment because I *think* they are going to be HUGE weapons on this frame. But it'll still be cheaper than getting a for-reals Spartan from FW :wallbash:

I just need to look for a better paying jorb gallery_6494_6331_10578.gif

@KotR - long time no see :happy.:

Thank you very much for looking! Those old GK model really shows their age eh? Especially my paint job :ohmy.:

The Spartan is a mixed bag for me. Compared to the FW version, the RT-era conversion ... sucks :laugh.: Yet, I have some history with this game and that model has moved with me. Having built a current style LR, I do plan to spruce the Spartan a bit. The Kromlech guns will be a tough investment because I *think* they are going to be HUGE weapons on this frame. But it'll still be cheaper than getting a for-reals Spartan from FW :wallbash:

I just need to look for a better paying jorb gallery_6494_6331_10578.gif

I totally get that feeling with FW... I'm trying to build a 30k EC's army and my specialty troops being expensive cost wise, books updated constantly, price vs model count, and everything involved. Even with 2 B@C boxes (hurray plastic MkIV armor) it is still a :censored: PITA. I think my last order to FW, tax and shipping I could have bought another 30k red book :verymad:. And its not like 40k where you can have small point games.

And its not like 40k where you can have small point games.

I guess I'm lucky then, because my local manager doesn't hesitate to play games peaking at 500 points for Warhammer Fantasy (rest in peace) and Warhammer 40,000, or even 200 points in Lord of the Rings (the joys of being able to gad about with a small army of dwarves in your coat pocket because they're elite and short) with me.

Which is a good thing since I can only remain in the shop three hours tops... which is incidentally the minimal amount of time it takes me to go to the shop and come back home.

The last point meaning I've started to debate whether any battle is worth that much time wasted on waiting for or in public transports.

That said, yeah, other people rarely do small games... mostly because all their lists are geared towards battles that are at least average-sized.

Small games tends to mean less cheese too... and if someone ever rocks a knight porphyron against me (they just fit 500 points games), I guess we'll find out if a human rectum can fit such a model. :tongue.:

That said, yeah, other people rarely do small games... mostly because all their lists are geared towards battles that are at least average-sized.

Small games tends to mean less cheese too... and if someone ever rocks a knight porphyron against me (they just fit 500 points games), I guess we'll find out if a human rectum can fit such a model. :tongue.:

I like small point games or small squad games like necromunda. I get tired of seeing cheeses lists or some of the comments people make because they just want to win. People forget the game is supposed to be fun. I think that is why I have a hard time getting out to play is because some people just irritate me in the store so I rather build and paint then play sometimes. 

And yeah that model would go in sideways just to cause more pain. 

So here is Thundefire 2 Techmarine (left). I put him next to his brother to show how they are different. On the chance I'll ever use to TFCs of course.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_39200.jpg

"But Race, where's the TFC itself?" It's in a bag waiting to be painted. Some pages back I whined about how I don't like the GW TFC. The fact I have the metal version is both awesome and bleh at the same time. Kromlech came out with a very reasonable alternative in both style and price.

"But Race, if you already have a TFC, why replace it?" Because ... I want to? Gah, typing that makes me feel so bourgeois.

Now for something completely different.

GW came out with some Hero Bases and a couple of piece caught some Raven Guard attention: the bird skulls. I scoured the internet to see comparison sizes. I should have just asked the Forge forum ( :blush.: ), because I spent money to but them. Just them.

You will see them next to a Mk VII helmet:

gallery_6494_11942_9969.jpg

Guess what? They are too small to be a helmet on their own. Money well spent :wallbash:

"But Race, are you sure?"

*sigh*

gallery_6494_11942_68793.jpg

So, I guess I could carve out the faceplate of a helmet to fit this skull in to have a neat Chaplain helm or ... something?

Meh. Now I know. Now you know. Maybe you already knew? My wallet hated me for that purchase ...

:laugh.: That looks perfect Race haha, though I'm selfishly glad you found out that they aren't the right size before I went and did it. I've searched all over for raven skull small enough to be used, but haven't seen anything yet, but I know they exist for I've seen others use them. My plan is to buy some of the few charms I've found on etsy, hollow them out and just fit it over a regular helm... like in the stories of the one Chaplain who did that... I be the next model I hope to start in the next few weeks so i'll let you know and direct ya in the right spot :thumbsup: Unless you beat me to it that is lol

Guess what? They are too small to be a helmet on their own. Money well spent :wallbash:

"But Race, are you sure?"

*sigh*

gallery_6494_11942_68793.jpg

So, I guess I could carve out the faceplate of a helmet to fit this skull in to have a neat Chaplain helm or ... something?

Bahaha! Sorry RB not to laugh at your misfortune but that pic was definitely worth it!

What about if you place the skull on top of a helmet or back pack?

Those Kromlech TFCs though ... I wish TSF could have them as aux choices.

Work break!

@Bedouin2 - Heh, as soon as I pulled them (all two of them) out of the package I couldn't help myself from laughing at their size ... and the money it cost to get them.  I was committed to sharing my misfortune in an attempt to help others.  or show off my ignorance :lol:

@duz_ - DSS7 pretty much covered how they'll get used.  I would be a fool to not use them in some capacity.  The TFC is a fickle thing from my limited experience with them.  They really work well or never get used because they are a target.  Some dudes at my store swear on them.  For my part, as a collector of sorts, I just had to have them in my collection.  The more I think about them the more likely I will go for Kromlech's version.

@Valaas - That's a good idea as well. I still have a Calth Chaplain I could build and it would work for him.  Then there is the Biker Chaplain ...

@NiceGuyAdi - their size really makes that representing that relic.  As was discussed elsewhere in this forum, Korvad's skull with a Chaplain is awesome.  It's a shame there are only 2 in the box because the cost analysis leans very favorably to go get the whole box!

For now though, I am slowly chewing into my MkIIB Land Raider ^_^