Greenz'z Angels of Absolution 5th Co WIP

Greenz

Hey guys,

With so much inspiration in this forum, I figure it's time I get my own WIP thread going. Plus I need all the help I can get to keep me focused and on track with this project.

My goal is pretty hefty. My plan is to create the Angels of Absolution 5th company. So 125 or so PA models, plus the obvious friends from the 1st, 2nd and 10th companies. But it won't be that simple or easy. I'm looking to address a number of issues I've always had with space marines.

First off, marines are too short. Every model is being tall scaled.Those of you who are familiar with Veteran Sergeants work will know the direction I'm going in. I'm not talking full on "art scale", where the entire model is redone, but every model is having spacers inserted at shin, thigh and abdomen.

Next, every marine will have a helmet. Just makes sense. Going to war fully encased in inches thick ceramite armour, only to leave your head exposed and leaving behind all the fun life support, sensors, comms, etc. Nope, not for me. Also, every marine is loaded for war. Magazine pouches, grenades in pouches, pistols, etc.

Finally, and quite possibly the most insane part of my project; the theme. My AoA are embroiled in a campaign fighting orks. Literally fighting orks. Seeing as I'm already hacking the models apart and reassembling them in 30+ pieces, I've decided to take a more cinematic approach. Every marine is doing something. Shooting, reloading, taking cover, throwing grenades, melee, every marine is doing something. And every squad is telling a story, so to speak. I want to bring life to the marines, and show them to be what they truly are. Super soldiers created to purge the heretic and the xenos!

So with all the preamble out of the way, heres my first tactical squad. Photos are a WIP as well. I just recently realized the macro setting on my phone puts to shame my camera, so still getting used to it.

med_gallery_71758_11985_4818.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_23097.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_46319.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_50181.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_17372.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_14744.jpg

C&C is always welcome!

Edited by Greenz

Hehhehheh; Space Marines are the right height Brother, it's the humans that are modeled too tall (otherwise they'd get lost on the tabletop :wink: ). The Spesh Marines are the standard by which all are set.

So anyway, after you stretch all your dudes I fully look forward to this epic project!!! As someone who has also done a company I know the pain and endurance needed, and the glory of finishing :biggrin.:

Good luck and keep at it, we're here to help.

stobz

Edit: Your posings are excellent!!! Love them.

Edited by Brother Stobz

Hehhehheh; Space Marines are the right height Brother, it's the humans that are modeled too tall (otherwise they'd get lost on the tabletop :wink: ). The Spesh Marines are the standard by which all are set.

So anyway, after you stretch all your dudes I fully look forward to this epic project!!! As someone who has also done a company I know the pain and endurance needed, and the glory of finishing :biggrin.:

Good luck and keep at it, we're here to help.

stobz

Edit: Your posings are excellent!!! Love them.

Hehe fair enough! Sadly, there's not much I can do about shrinking down the humans. Plus the legs always seemed off to me, both lenghth and pose

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I know this will be quite the journey, so all other projects have been pushed aside. Except real life of course. My wife and I are expecting our 3rd watcher in the dark this August, so we'll see how much energy I have!

Thanks Stuka! I'm hoping my skills are where they need to be, because I've got some pretty epic ideas rattling around my head. I rarely have time to play anymore, so aesthetics wins over practicality.

As for the helmets, I sometimes think it's a shame I've gone down the "realistic" route, as GW is putting out some truly terrific bare heads these days. Gone are the days where every sergeant has a shaved head. That being said, I do have plans for 2 helmetless marines, who are going to be quite beat up

• 3 weeks later...

Update time. The last couple weeks have been crazy busy. Best man at my buddies wedding ate up 2 weekends, and overtime at work has been killing my painting mojo. But the wedding is done, and well worth it, though the dreaded speech will haunt me forever. And OT has calmed down a bit, so back to hobby time! My 2nd tactical squad is built. Tried a half squad breaking cover, half squad giving cover approach for these guys. My interrogator-chaplain is done as well, and hopefully they'll all get primed this weekend. 1st tactical squad is half painted, so my first vow is slowly moving along. As well, my thundernator squad is built, they just need to be based, and my 2nd terminator squad is 3/5 done.

med_gallery_71758_11985_51227.jpg

Interrogator-chaplain. Currently unnamed. Im really having a hard time naming my AoA's. Conventional wisdom tells me to carry on with the 'Zaels and 'Iels and 'Dais, but the only real named character is Master Yafrir. Opinions?

med_gallery_71758_11985_78332.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_22950.jpg
med_gallery_71758_11985_2755.jpg
Best I could come up with for the DV mono pose marines. Never again...
C&C welcome. Thanks guys

Edited by Greenz

Those all can't be DV marines! I like the dynamic poses. That is something that I haven't gotten into but you... You do it well! I like your interrogator chaplain too. You seem very adept with the green stuff!

Well Yafrir is Arabic in origin so....

http://www.behindthename.com/names/gender/masculine/usage/arabic

That should help you.

It's might be reasonable to assume their Homeworld might be arabic in nature?

As with Dark Angels I would guess they might get new names when joining. My BoA keep their names. Given there is not much to the AoA I think you have free reign as I doubt GW will do much with them which is a shame.

Those all can't be DV marines! I like the dynamic poses. That is something that I haven't gotten into but you... You do it well! I like your interrogator chaplain too. You seem very adept with the green stuff!

Thanks Epher! I've had lots of practice with GS working on my fantasy Orcs. It motivated me to go bolder with my marines. Still learning little tricks, so I find every couple marines are getting better

And no, not all of them are DV marines, just the last pic, those 4. The 2nd from the right is the sergeant, though not a great pic of him.

@ Arkely. Thanks, that's a wicked link! I just finished browsing through quickly, but already found some inspiration. I greatly appreciate it buddy

I'm not going to lie, I'm not the biggest fan of true-scale marines, even though I can appreciate the skill and work involved in creating them. However, the poses really are excellent :thumbsup:  My favourite has to be the Mark VII marine climbing over the rubble, which is both inspired and technically brilliant (especially considering it's from a DV mono-pose!) The Interrogator is cool as well. Keep up the good work mate! :thumbsup:  

No worries Hulk, I knew from the outset the great divide on true/tall scaling. Some people love it, some hate it! Everyone's got their own take on the issue

As for the wall hurdler, has actually a standard marine, not a DV mono. There's only so much I can do with them! So far he's my favourite too. That one showed me with a bit of creativity, patience and research, the skies the limit with poses. My next squad is probably an assault squad, so he was a bit of a warm up for them

Sweet! Thanks for the link. Those are pretty cool looking. I've got a bit of time to figure if I want molded pads. Currently I'm thinking the rank and file marines will be painted on, but I might get a set for my 1st co vets

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for my brothers opinions here. I'll be painting the tabard on my sergeant tonight, but I'm torn on whether to go green or black. Currently I'm going with black bolter casings. I'd rather not throw too many colours in, but I also don't want tons of black

I used to do black bolter casings and black robes, now I do green robes and red casings.  Better contrast, makes the models pop more IMO. With good use of shading and highlighting, you can add a lot of depth to green and red and avoid the flat "christmas tree marine" look.

Edited by Syphid

Ah Syphid no!!! Why must you tempt me with red casings? And especially from a renowned AoA player such as yourself. I tossed that back and forth for so long!

Thanks for the replies gents. Arkley, I never thought of doing the dual colours for AoA. Very interesting

I would suggest black robes and red bolter casings maybe. Syphid's suggestion will look like the current studio scheme for DA DW; which is fine as it's a good scheme that works, but it does also risk looking more like DW than AoA as a result (which, to be fair, is pretty much what the originally-conceived AoA scheme appears to be anyway).

The black robes can be highlighted up with a little green to give them a "very dark green" look in a nod to the DW scheme, or alternatively by adding a little blue to them (which avoid the Christmas tree look, lifts the black, and still looks good).

The problem (IMO) with the Christmas colours is that the tones and ratios are really hard to balance to that it looks good rather than... festive. Some schemes (like an all-"white" scheme) make this even more difficult, but the larger areas of neutral colour also give you more options than dark green does.

When I'm in doubt, I usually look around google for inspiration. There are usually a couple of variants floating around the web, so it's nice to see someone else's take on the subject.

I only found one robed AoA, and it was on Lexicanum after a more thorough search. The picture underneath is a AOA with green robes and black weapons. I couldn't find any other colouroptions, so I'm sorry that I can't provide some extra pics for comparison. Maybe an skilled photoshopper can change the colours for you.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/02/Angelsofabsolutionmini.jpg