Greenz'z Angels of Absolution 5th Co WIP

Greenz

Well, the technique as I remember it was:

- Cut and tear the foam to the shapes you want.

- Squidge the foam in a PVA and water mix to make sure the whole thing was fully soaked, and let it dry.

- If it's still a  bit too flexible, brush some more thinned PVA over the whole thing, and let it dry again.

- With a large cheap/old brush, stipple thinned plaster (the ready-mixed wall filler stuff) all over it to give it a more "rock-like" texture, and allow to dry.

- Paint as you would other scenery.

It's apparently quite durable, and not too heavy. The chap I saw do this stuck it to a base as well, partly for added strength, and partly to stop it moving around during games.

Edited by Major_Gilbear

I'll definitely bear that in mind about the foam. Especially if it's firm, might make a great base for flames. I went with the foliage largely because of all the images I found for flamethrowers. Typically, once the accelerant is a couple feet out, the stream turns into almost a rolling ball of flame. I felt the foliage gave that "expanding" feel

GRC, that's a great tip, thanks. I'll have to mess around with that too. Up till now I've been a sucker using cereal box cardboard and GS to make robes and such!

Thanks FC! I'm really trying to get across the feeling of this squad landing amongst a mob of boyz. The next 5 in the squad will be doing more dirty work. Im glad you're enjoying so far!

Small update. I decided to take some pics of the terminators as they are. The SB terminators are close to being done, they just need the chapter symbols, battle damage, and power fist effects. The thundernators are in need of a bit more love, so Ill be entering them into the Covenant competition. I was originally thinking of putting in my half assault squad, but with 4 squads still not "fully" complete, I probably shouldnt start a 5th.

med_gallery_71758_11985_63778.jpg

med_gallery_71758_11985_13303.jpg
Hope you guys enjoy! And if anyone has any thoughts/ suggestions on the red power fists, Im all ears. I liked the idea at first, but now Im not 100% sure. They might look better bone, or brighter red but with black striping, like from the Siege of Vraks books.
Edit: I thought Id rectified the image size issue, but theyre still coming out small. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can post larger pics?
Edited by Greenz

gallery_71758_11985_63778.jpg

gallery_71758_11985_13303.jpg

I like the red fists, but I think that because they are rather big, they add too much colour to the model (which is distracting).

Maybe make just the fingers red, and the rest of the fist's housing bone (or black with a little bit of white checkerboard detail here and there)?

//Edit: Or maybe make the fingers bone, and have the fist housing in black and red diagonal stripes - like industrial stripes but with red instead of yellow? //

As for bigger images, you just need to link directly to the image with image tags (right-click "view image" in the gallery and then take the url out of the address bar). :smile.:

Edited by Major_Gilbear

Greatly appreciated Major. I don't know if I kept making the same mistake or what, but I've finally got it figured out

As for the fist, I think it'll probably be straight bone. I might mess around with some spare fists. Though the checker pattern sounds fun, if a little frustrating :D

Nice! Thundernators pummeling Orks is a beautifull sight. Some splatter effect on the headblow would be wicked.

And that bone colour! The Angels of Absolution are a very fitting chapter for your skills. That being sais, I'm not sold on the bone robes though (even if it is according to fluff).

I personally like the red fists. Just colouring the fingers isn't a bad idea either. I used bone fingers with green fists and red fingers with black fists. It looks better than you would think.

Thanks for the compliment GRC :) bone colour and I have a very love/ hate relationship. Dont worry, there will be blood splatter and power weapon effects.

Funny you mention the robes. There is no real fluff on them. The good Major suggested a while back to try white robes for the 1st, black robes for the 2nd co, and green for battle companies. I love the idea, but in practice I find the white robes get lost. I think I'll stick with a uniform green

Yeah, I have to admit that getting bone armour and white robes to look separate is pretty tricky... Doable, but very tricky. Maybe make 1st Company robes red? So red-black-green for 1st-2nd-3-10th accordingly. If you make the fists bone coloured and the robes red, that might also "shift" the palette a bit more towards bone overall and look a bit more "Derathwing"?

Very true Major. The robes are more of a true white in person, the camera definitely blends the two together. But overall there's very little to separate them, and I remember from my chaplain that I wasn't feeling the gray base for the robes.

I have a DV test marine with GS robes on him, so I'll give the red robes a go.

• 3 weeks later...

All of these fantastic updates today convinced me I need to update my own thread. Unfortunately with some wicked super cold ripping through my household, my painting has fallen far behind where I should be for these 2 challenges. Im hoping I can bunker down now and get everything done :unsure.:

Heres my Chapter Master Ammiar, still very much a WIP

med_gallery_71758_11985_104450.jpg

med_gallery_71758_11985_13870.jpg

All the base coats are on. The bone armour and blacks are mostly done, but the rest of the details still need picking out

And a couple more assault marines are done too

med_gallery_71758_11985_1517.jpg

med_gallery_71758_11985_66379.jpg

I see finger prints now... :furious:

7/10 built, 1 almost built, 2 nowhere near done

The Chapter Master is looking awesome mate! :thumbsup: You've possibly already answered this before, but are those the arms & sword from the DV Company Master?

Thanks Hulk! I may or may not have answered it earlier. Yes, the hands, sword and head are all the DV master. I love the model, especially for a box set snap fit, but he's way too static for what I'm trying to pull off with this project. The rest of the model is mostly sternguard bits, and the cape is from my wood elves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...