Greenz'z Angels of Absolution 5th Co WIP

Greenz

@Pearson73 thanks! I rely heavily on the poses and such to keep me from losing my patience with all the tall scaling

@Wodon I'm pretty sure the DA are the only Unforgiven chapter to have different colour and names for their 1st and 2nd companies. I don't believe any of the official successors carry that tradition

@jbaeza Brother, you might be on to something here, I don't think I ever contemplated that. I'll see what I can put together tonight, maybe these guys aren't as done as I thought haha. Thankfully I have an abundance of plasma pistols

• 2 months later...

Man, I cant believe its been so long since Ive updated. My daughters teething, so sleep has been non-existent for some time now. Its looking like were getting over the hump, so hopefully I can get back on a schedule here and feel like something slightly more alive than a zombie. Paint wise, Ive accomplished almost nothing. I started my assault squad a while back, but quickly got burnt out and havent touched them in a long time.

I have been busy assembling though. My 3rd tactical squad is in various stages of assembly, as is my devastator squad. I re-did the plasma affect of the one biker. My first attempt looked way too... phallic. Every time I looked at it, thats all I saw. So I went at it again and tried to achieve something that looks more like a comet. I thought Id uploaded a close up pic, but its not looking like it. Maybe the next post Ill get it up

I have however completed building my Typhoon

med_gallery_71758_11985_107157.jpg

med_gallery_71758_11985_119856.jpg

With motivation from the current Covenant painting challenge, I plan on getting this bad boy and the bike squad painted up

Edited by Greenz

@OthnielsBlade: no, it's the foliage stuff for model terrain, you can get it at pretty much any hobby shop. I used it for the flamer effect on my assault squad too

@GRC: haha marines don't believe in camo! I'm glad you're enjoying it, hopefully I can keep my paint momentum going

@DarkRage: glad you enjoy it brother. I actually found a bit of an old gem last night that you might enjoy too. I'll throw those pics up tomorrow. And please do vow! I love seeing your work!

Not an update really, but I thought Id throw up this bit of fun. A couple days ago I was searching through my basement for some missing tools, when I came across this blast from the past stuffed in with some old board games

med_gallery_71758_11985_15347.jpg

I hadnt seen this box in years, my wife must have gotten it mixed in at some point. Its been 10+ years since Id looked through it, so I popped it open and was pleasantly surprised to find these old guys in there

med_gallery_71758_11985_23924.jpg

This dreadnought was one of the first models I purchased 20+ years ago. I was probably about 10 when I painted this guy

med_gallery_71758_11985_40453.jpg

His partner in the box was the speeder that came with the old 3rd edition core box set. I was maybe 13 when I painted this up

med_gallery_71758_11985_12297.jpg

So the dread, Im not really sure what to do with him. For nostalgia reasons, I think Im going to leave him as is. Plus, hes pewter, and I really dont care to go have at it with my dremmel trying to convert it. The speeder, well it didnt survive all my moves so well. A number of parts have snapped off, and its quite beat up. Im thinking of giving it a dettol bath, then switching it to another Typhoon. Ive got an image in my head of it taking ork rokkit damage, and the crew sort of showing reverence to the speeder. Well see if I can get that across

• 9 months later...

Alright, with the ETL quickly approaching, its time to bring this thread out of dormancy, and bring some much needed love back to my AoA. I ended up getting myself quite distracted with a few chaos projects. I know, I know, but chaos has so much conversion fun! But Im back for the next few months at least, so we'll see what I can get done.

Heres my half painted bike squad. Theyll have to be patient till after the ETL for me to finish them

med_gallery_71758_11985_4648.jpg

Next up, that speeder from my last post. It got the dettol treatment, and then I went at it with snips and my x-acto. As I said before, I want it to look like its taken some rokkit damage. The pic came out a bit unfocused, I think largely from the old paint that wouldnt come off.

med_gallery_71758_11985_94561.jpg

It obviously still needs some work. Both crew members, the typhoon launchers, I think Ill be adding a bent paper clip where the steps used to be. Maybe some wiring where the front sensor was too, and a bit of smoke coming out of the hole. Im pretty happy with how its coming along though

Next up, my tactical legs and torsos are coming along

med_gallery_71758_11985_69715.jpg

And my devastator squad is nearing completion. They mostly just need their pouches, and then the weapons, but the should be built by the end of the weekend

med_gallery_71758_11985_21290.jpg

Now, my big project at the moment is my darkshroud. I dont have any pics currently, but the body has been built. Ive come across a bit of a snag though. I have a thing against using the DA unique items in my successors, stuff like Sammaels Corvex, and here, the Icon of Old Caliban. So after some pondering, I decided to swap out the rear gunner and put in place a chaplain. My thought behind this is the AoA use the same technology the DA use, but instead of syphoning power from the big Icon, they have numerous lesser Icons to create that field. This backed up by a number of speakers that blast the sermons and catechisms of the chaplain, thus inducing that feel of unease and dread found with darkshrouds. I just need to figure out how to create the speaker system. My current thought is to carve out the statue and fill the arch with skulls and speakers, then mount smaller speakers throughout the speeder. Im totally open for any suggestions here.

Also, Ive finally come around to primaris marines. I figure its a matter of time before GW pulls the trigger and adds primaris to the Inner Circle. Ive got plans for some robed primaris coming down the pipe soon...

Assembly of my refurbished Typhoon is done

med_gallery_71758_11985_52582.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_208497.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_10930.jpg

Im thinking the rocket pod is in need of a bit of damage before it gets primed tonight. And thats smoke coming out of the hole, not a hedge ( Im looking at you Helycon :yes: )

Devastators are almost done. Kids being sick this weekend kept me from getting them done for my first vow

Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive made a bit of progress getting things built

Devastator squad is built, ready for my second vow. When I get my typhoons done :whistling:

med_gallery_71758_11985_172303.jpg

Now, I need input on my Chapmobile here

med_gallery_71758_11985_41829.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_72820.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_18957.jpg

Everythings tacked for the most part, outside the chassis, so nothings set in stone at the moment. Im going to change the crozius top, possibly with an old banner topper. I need to build up the lectern a bit, and the Chaplain is going to be holding onto the lectern. Im hoping to work his right arm into mkIV armour. The lights on the weird arch/ skull things are going to get greenstuffed into speakers. The pseudo- Icon of Caliban thing is getting another speaker added into that gap. Dark Angels symbol in the stained glass will be getting replaced with the AoA symbol. But any C&C or suggestions with this model are greatly appreciated. Good, bad, a fresh idea, anything to make it more like a chaplains ride, Im totally open for suggestions!

GRC, thanks for the reply brother, I really appreciate it. About the crozius, I absolutely love the look of that mace. I used the other one I have as the Mace of Redemption for a previous Chaplain. My only issue with it is the size, the mace head is quite large. Ill see, its the least of my concerns with the Darkshroud haha

After reading your comment on the skull helmet, I definitely agree with you, its not the best helmet. But its one of the few skull helmets I have, and I love the bionics on it. So I did what I usually do when I have a model dilemma... I throw greenstuff at the problem :biggrin.:

med_gallery_71758_11985_20069.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_132885.jpg

I did these 2 up yesterday. Buddy on the left, unfortunately I dropped in a pile of plastic scrapings when the GS was still soft, and a bunch of crap ended up in it. Not terrible, but enough of an annoyance. Currently Im leaning towards the one on the right, he feels more Unforgiven like to me. His hood needs some finishing up, and the respirator part looks like it got a bit squashed, but thats the general idea for that version. Thoughts anyone?

Wow, I’m honestly a little surprised the two of you went with that one. Now I’m second guessing myself haha. Maybe tomorrow I’ll redo the greenstuff. Like I said before, I love the bionics on that helmet, seems like a waste. Thanks guys!

I understand your choice for the right one, but there is no way a head could fit inside that skull, especially with those deep eye sockets. Some bionics in those sockets would go a long way in making it more believable an Astartes head is in there. Still, the head on the left is really nice, it looks more menacing than a regular Chaplain head.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my first Typhoon. This was a lot of fun to paint

med_gallery_71758_11985_184334.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_7988.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_85001.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_28705.jpgmed_gallery_71758_11985_185488.jpg

I really wanted to try and get across the crew "thanking" their steed for surviving the rokkit damage. Its kind of hard to see in the first image, but in the hole I added some piece from a Necron lords shield to look like some damaged internal anti-grav machinery. Im not too sure about the blue on the grav plates though. I may go back and tackle that at some point, and try to get across more of a sparking damage effect. But thatll be a later day

2nd typhoon is around halfway done. Hopefully thatll be posted up late next week. Ive also made a lot of headway on my Chapmobile, so that will be ready for paint soon. As is my Primaris company master... I never thought Id come around to Primaris, but it has been a great model to work on. He should be done assembly next week sometime too

Thanks for looking guys!