+++E Tenebrae Lux V - Blood Angels Strategium+++

Thanks!  It feels like a victory since I pretty much had to paint 4 drop pods to end up with 2 that I'm happy with after my misadventure with weathering the first go-round.  And to answer your question:

I, Hannibaal, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete 1 Furioso Dreadnought from Codex: Blood Angels with a total value of 140 points on or before August 15th, 2016.  Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photo:

Furioso dreadnought

After photo:

Finished ETL V Furioso

Thanks! It feels like a victory since I pretty much had to paint 4 drop pods to end up with 2 that I'm happy with after my misadventure with weathering the first go-round. And to answer your question:

I, Hannibaal, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete 1 Furioso Dreadnought from Codex: Blood Angels with a total value of 140 points on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photo:

I love the over the shoulder flamer, I may have to steal that one!

Welcome Riot Earp! This Sanquinor looks more like Sanguinius! :lol: I look forward to see some paint on it. Good luck!

Thanks!  It feels like a victory since I pretty much had to paint 4 drop pods to end up with 2 that I'm happy with after my misadventure with weathering the first go-round.  And to answer your question:

I, Hannibaal, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete 1 Furioso Dreadnought from Codex: Blood Angels with a total value of 140 points on or before August 15th, 2016.  Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photo:

Well done sir! A completion and a follow-up! That's the way to play this game! :D Good luck! 

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

I am pleased to declare my first Vow completed. Another will be forthcoming soon, but for now I offer this toward the glory of Sanguinius and my Brothers of the Blood.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/3/804703_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/3/804700_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/3/804702_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/3/804701_md-.jpg

The next vow will be a Librarian Dreadnought, however I do not have it prepared as yet (Still on sprue) so I cannot make it as yet. I will post here again once I make progress and have a proper before picture. smile.png

Take it easy for now.

-Red__Thirst-

Thanks! It feels like a victory since I pretty much had to paint 4 drop pods to end up with 2 that I'm happy with after my misadventure with weathering the first go-round. And to answer your question:

I, Hannibaal, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete 1 Furioso Dreadnought from Codex: Blood Angels with a total value of 140 points on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before photo:

What are you doing with the other two and could we get a rear shot of the Dreadnought please? Interested in how the flamer connects up there. Also, having made the Fragioso version, what are you plans for the rest of the bits that came with the kit?

I am pleased to declare my first Vow completed. Another will be forthcoming soon, but for now I offer this toward the glory of Sanguinius and my Brothers of the Blood.

The next vow will be a Librarian Dreadnought, however I do not have it prepared as yet (Still on sprue) so I cannot make it as yet. I will post here again once I make progress and have a proper before picture. smile.png

Take it easy for now.

-Red__Thirst-

Congratulations on a very gritty-looking Lemartes! Did you find him difficult to paint? I think he was my first Finecast model and I didn't find it easy... As for the Librarian Dreadnought, you can post a sprue pic you know ;)

Nice work R_T!

In fact, nice work everyone! Keep those vows coming. How we doing for participants compared to last year?

EDC

As I said above, we have eclipsed ETL II and ETL III for numbers, but we are four short of the ETL I number (46). Compared to last year we are down and unlikely to reach that level but on the plus side we had a lot of folk who didn't finish their vows which should, in theory, mean less penalty points. Of course that puts more onus on those who of us who are active...

I'll be satisfied if we get 50+ for ETL V given what has happened (or rather, what hasn't happened) to our Faction over the past year.

Congratulations on a very gritty-looking Lemartes! Did you find him difficult to paint? I think he was my first Finecast model and I didn't find it easy... As for the Librarian Dreadnought, you can post a sprue pic you know msn-wink.gif

I was unaware of that. ohmy.png

My Impression was it had to be assembed and base-coated in the before picture. If I can take a picture of the sprue then excellent. I'll get a picture up here in short order then (read: later today if I can).

I will mention that my Lemartes is a metal mini, not the new finecast sculpt. I got lucky and found a white metal version of him that I picked up. My Dante, and Mephiston are both metal also thank goodness. No fine cast in my Blood Angels army as yet. As for painting, he was a challenge but not an untenable one. The 'difficult' part was just all the little detail and scroll work on him. I typically paint in pieces and sub-assemble as I go starting with the base first, so having the base, legs, torso and head all together made for a long painting session to get everything painted to a satisfactory level before moving on to the much easier to paint individual arms and jump pack. I'm not going to be painting any more black models for a while thank goodness, though I will be adding more death company to the list at some point. We'll see how soon.

As for the grittiness, he's painted to match my death company, which use a very stark palette compared to the rest of my Angels. I want them to look gritty and grim compared to the bright and vibrant color palette used on the rest of my army. Visual contrast being a big deal to me and all. :)

Hopefully that answered your question and I appreciate the feed back.

Take it easy and my second vow will be coming soon.

-Red__Thirst-

Congratulations on a very gritty-looking Lemartes! Did you find him difficult to paint? I think he was my first Finecast model and I didn't find it easy... As for the Librarian Dreadnought, you can post a sprue pic you know msn-wink.gif

I was unaware of that. ohmy.png

My Impression was it had to be assembed and base-coated in the before picture. If I can take a picture of the sprue then excellent. I'll get a picture up here in short order then (read: later today if I can).

Well if you couldn't post a sprue pic then that would hamper those who paint on the sprues ;) Basically, you need a starting picture which can be anything provided we can tell what it is. The assembled and undercoated is the furthest along a model can be to be eligible for the ETL.

Evidence of progress

Only two pictures are required for each vow – one in the beginning (minis unpainted or primed or in very early stages of painting) and one for the finished vow. You are of course welcome to post as many pictures as you like in your WIP thread (or your Strategium thread) – but just two (one at the start and one at the finish) will suffice! Please make sure that all the models of each vow get a “before” and “after” picture, either individually or as a group.

Before photo:

What are you doing with the other two and could we get a rear shot of the Dreadnought please? Interested in how the flamer connects up there. Also, having made the Fragioso version, what are you plans for the rest of the bits that came with the kit?

I repainted the two drop pods that I scorched to death, so I essentially painted each pod twice.  For my fragioso, he is more of a franken-dread.  I constructed him out of the left over parts from a Death Company Dreadnought, using a pair of legs and feet from an Ironclad dread, and the Librarian arm to make another powerfist.  This arm hung lower so I was unable to mount the heavy flamer underneath the fist, so I magnetized it on top of the shoulder to easily swap it out for a melta gun.  I went a little magnet crazy with him, magnetizing his feet to the base and magnetizing his torso to his legs so he can pivot.  I'm really happy with how he turned out.  It really is satisfying to make new models out of old spare parts.

Side view:

Furioso side view

Rear view:

Furioso rear view

Magnets:

Furioso magnetized weapon

So my Scout squad vow is nearly complete... regarding a potential second vow; my personal priority list has drop-pods and vindicators next - but since this competition is about points - alternatively I could paint up just 6 Terminators and that's already 245 points; I have a second set of 6 as well. There's also a stormraven but I think that would take me the longest.

So ...go for what I need most, but tough to paint and low point reward (drop-pods and tanks) ...or paint up the terminators, easier with high point reward?

So my Scout squad vow is nearly complete... regarding a potential second vow; my personal priority list has drop-pods and vindicators next - but since this competition is about points - alternatively I could paint up just 6 Terminators and that's already 245 points; I have a second set of 6 as well. There's also a stormraven but I think that would take me the longest.

So ...go for what I need most, but tough to paint and low point reward (drop-pods and tanks) ...or paint up the terminators, easier with high point reward?

As you said for the competition the answer is to go for points. However, the ETL primarily exists to encourage people to paint their backlog and in the spirit of the ETL you should be entering what you, the painter, wants to paint most of all (in the end, you're going to want to paint something you like rather than what you are dreading - and yes I realise the hypocrisy in that as I have bikes lined up next).

I guess the question is, why do you need the vehicles right now?

Well the drop-pods are in one of my regular lists and the vindicators are occasionally also and at least are always in my Apoc list (which we do fairly regularly around here).  Terminators I rarely use, though to be honest I probably would if they were painted haha.

Drop-pods just look so unfriendly to paint though I dunno, and they're only 45points each... I think I'm leaning towards the terminators.

Jolemai, I was reading the rules for the etl and had a question (which has probably already been asked 40k times). If my model is just base coated with a coloured primer is that okay? Or will I have to strip it, take a pic, and reprime to enter it for my 2nd vow.

Jolemai, I was reading the rules for the etl and had a question (which has probably already been asked 40k times). If my model is just base coated with a coloured primer is that okay? Or will I have to strip it, take a pic, and reprime to enter it for my 2nd vow.

As long as it is just a presumably red base coat you should be fine :)

Cap Semper is the one to ask for the verdict!

Feel free to post up a picture but it sounds like it's fine. People aren't restricted from entering because they don't undercoat in white/black/grey after all :)

It is totally ok! Do you think I'll let the Black Legion and the Templars (and the Raven Guard and the Iron Hands, and the Consecrators and the 30k Dark Angels and every other predominantly black army) get the advantage? :P

Seriously though, colored undercoating is totally fine. :yes:

Hidden Content

Take it easy for now.

-Red__Thirst-

Very impressive work - this is one of the coolest minis in the game and you've done it justice! Look forward for your follow-up vow!

Nice work R_T!

In fact, nice work everyone! Keep those vows coming. How we doing for participants compared to last year?

EDC

That's how it looks so far:

gallery_27176_11917_6068.jpg

You still have a bit more than a week though, and it is known that a lot of people join in the last couple of days... So keep the recruiting effort alive!

Vow completed!

http://i.imgur.com/hltARN2.jpg

Excellent! Congratulations for your completion MrFlutterPie, looks suitably visceral! Will you be doing a follow-up?

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Archived