+++E Tenebrae Lux V - Blood Angels Strategium+++

Progress on Gerantius...

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gerantius-WIP-01.jpg

Just waiting on some magnets so I can make the weapons and torso detachable. I know Gerantius has a specific loadout but I may want him to stand in for other classes of Knight in the future. Plus he'll be easier to transport.

Progress on Gerantius...

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gerantius-WIP-01.jpg

Just waiting on some magnets so I can make the weapons and torso detachable. I know Gerantius has a specific loadout but I may want him to stand in for other classes of Knight in the future. Plus he'll be easier to transport.

What size magnets are you using? I'm about to start building mine and can't figure out what size will fit the arms perfectly...

Painting Drop Pods is the worst. Motivation has gone down so much! Quick update, Drop pod interior is almost complete, The hatch doors need to be highlighted and hazard striped. Then on to gluing the pod together. Astorath has been sitting at an 80% completed stage for a while now. I need to wash and edge highlight his purity seals, highlight his wings, and finish up some tidy up. Otherwise Vow 1 is almost done.

I'm thinking I might be vowing a couple of dreadnoughts for vow 2 instead of Imperial Knights, I may do the Imperial Knights still. Flying out to Las Vegas tomorrow, for a week, and not going to be able to get any painting done. Good job on all the vow completions though everyone!

What size magnets are you using? I'm about to start building mine and can't figure out what size will fit the arms perfectly...

I measured that 6mm should be perfect for the arms, and I'll try either 6mm or 10mm for the torso. 1mm thick.

My plan is...

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gerantius-WIP-02.jpg

1. Big blob of green stuff and 6mm x 1mm magnet in each weapon mount.

2. 6mm x 1mm magnet glued to bottom of each upper arm (I sawed off the nubs on the end).

3. I sawed off the nub on top of the dome on the upper legs and sanded it down flat. 6mm x 1mm or 10mm x 1mm magnet here.

4. Big blob of green stuff and 6mm x 1mm or 10mm x 1mm magnet here.

For the actual weapons I'm planning to use telescopic plasticard tubing instead of magnets.

I found painting pods pretty easy - the trick is to just not care too much :P

• I assembled the bottom half (or the POWER FLOWER as I like to call it), minus the middle control/ harness pillar (seriously, screw that thing) and sprayed that black, then lead-belcher on the top/ interior side.
  • Then flip it over and spray the bottom (doors exterior) red/ black.
  • Spray all of the fins individually in the colour you want on both sides.
  • Wash the whole thing and all parts with heavy nuln.
  • Highlight if you want.

Viola - game ready. The doors don't really need detail if you ask me as the are literally going to be sat against the table all game, plus your models deploying from it will look a lot better and more important by contrast.

Using this technique I had pretty much 7 pods game ready in a couple hours while I was painting other things too.

Removing the pillar also means a courteous opponent may let you use the pod as a Lucius one (or not even question it if you do really...!)

I found painting pods pretty easy - the trick is to just not care too much tongue.png

• I assembled the bottom half (or the POWER FLOWER as I like to call it), minus the middle control/ harness pillar (seriously, screw that thing) and sprayed that black, then lead-belcher on the top/ interior side.
  • Then flip it over and spray the bottom (doors exterior) red/ black.
  • Spray all of the fins individually in the colour you want on both sides.
  • Wash the whole thing and all parts with heavy nuln.
  • Highlight if you want.

Viola - game ready. The doors don't really need detail if you ask me as the are literally going to be sat against the table all game, plus your models deploying from it will look a lot better and more important by contrast.

Using this technique I had pretty much 7 pods game ready in a couple hours while I was painting other things too.

Removing the pillar also means a courteous opponent may let you use the pod as a Lucius one (or not even question it if you do really...!)

If only I had chosen metal and not bone for my interior. unsure.png

I have thought about taking out the pillar for my dreadnought drop pods. And leaving them in for my marine ones.

7 pods game ready in a few hours! No wonder you are taking your time with your current vow when you can pump stuff out like that lol.

Thanks for the help Luther! I read somewhere online to use 2mm or 3mm for the arms. Glad i asked you becasue it sounds like they would be way too small!

The holes are 7.5mm diameter so I figured the biggest I can fit in there (allowing a bit of wiggle room) would give the most strength. Filling the weapon mounts with green stuff will also provide a nice solid base for the magnets, as opposed to pieces of sprue as I've seen other people do.

That's the plan anyway - I'll let you know how I get on when they arrive! I'll be making the base while I wait...

And the vanguard are done after a late night stint, finishing my first vow.

Hidden Content

gallery_58096_11966_388641.jpg

I still have a ways to go to catch up with Charlo, EDC and Boudan, but I can't view again until the end of July vacation time!

Congratulations! woot.gif

So are you going for vacations until the end of July and you have no access to wifi? Or you have work until the end of July and then vacations? unsure.png

Sorry, that was done in a rush on my phone this morning!

I'm traveling with work, then have vacation booked until the last week in July, so won't be able to do any more painting until then. I do, however, have a lot more on the list, and a plan. Rank and file, even for expensive veterans, was killing me.

I, Threefiddy,  rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX for a 2nd time and vow to complete one Gabriel Seth from Codex: Blood Angels and one Contemptor Dread with kheres assault cannon for a  total value of 345 points on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to ETL Faction Blood Angels and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until my vow is complete.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/Threef1ddy/Contemptor_zps7bvoemjs.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/Threef1ddy/Seth_zpsvwdyunag.jpg

Peace

The weekend is always a nailbiting wait for me, what with the update going up on my Sunday night. But it's worth the wait! Especially to see we've maintained the highest completion rate!

Shame about that low average vow. That IS a sticker.

How does the completion rate affect things? Does it even out smaller sub-forums chances against others that have far more people to pledge? I don't really see how we can compete with Codex, Chaos and HH..?

Well, we are gunning down Codex as we're only 100 points behind. Taking them would put us in third - an improvement on last year - and after that it's anyone's game.

You see, the higher the completion, the less penalties your Faction incurs. This is how HH threw it away last year and almost ended up third - and we weren't exactly cut adrift either.

As it stands, thus is hugely successful encouraging. If we can keep the motivation going we will be on course for something special mid-August.

Basically, the total points a faction completes is multiplied against their completion rate. So as an example, we here at the BA faction have currently completed 11,192 points, with a 34.6% completion rate. So 11,192 x 34.6%, which gives us 3872 points.

In comparison, the Codex faction are at 15,675 points completed, with a 25.3% completion rate, so 3965 points.

So despite a current lead of 4000 odd points, with their lower completion rate factored in, they're scarcely 100 points ahead.

Exactly.

The thing is that completion rates will soar in the closing weeks - especially on the first vows. It pays to have a head start and achieve a high completion ratio in the first vow early so you get to focus on more second and subsequent vows that, experience has shown, they have a materially higher completion rate anyway.

More progress on Gerantius...

I've done all the prep for magnetisation and switchable parts – just waiting on the magnets now and then paint!

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_2054.jpg

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_2055.jpg

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_2061.jpg

Also made the base and put green stuff in the feet where I'll drill holes for pinning...

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_2062.jpg

Archived