+++E Tenebrae Lux V - Blood Angels Strategium+++

I hear gw is posting another tactics article again soon.... Just kidding.

Great job everyone, was thinking we were going to be third or just higher in general, but we did good considering what we were up against. Really enjoyed seeing everyone's work! Gotta go back and dig through the thread to find all the paint recipes I asked you guys for lol.

Maybe I should make a "how you paint BA" thread and compile all the different methods people use for different techniques.

Yea I thought we would have gotten higher based on our completion rate. Oh well, good effort none the less. Pretty surprised by the SW though.

I wonder if next year we would be able to pledge HH Blood Angel Units for BA because by that time we should have some.

Yea I thought we would have gotten higher based on our completion rate. Oh well, good effort none the less. Pretty surprised by the SW though.

I wonder if next year we would be able to pledge HH Blood Angel Units for BA because by that time we should have some.

Sadly I doubt it.... Inferno isn't due out until late this year/ early next.

So Book 8 (if it even includes us...) won't be until at least towards the end of next year :(

We should be proud indeed of our excellent completion rate, and the quality of the paint jobs we kicked out – next year we just need to up the pledge value and we're golden (and red and black)!! Maybe a nice new codex will help... msn-wink.gif

Thanks as ever to Captain Semper for his outstanding time input arranging and organising the event, looking forward to VI already!

Maybe I should make a "how you paint BA" thread and compile all the different methods people use for different techniques.

If you ever find the courage to do it, I'm interested :p

I have something to kick that off with!

http://www.themightybrush.com/how-to-paint-blood-angels-part-i/

http://www.themightybrush.com/how-to-paint-blood-angels-part-ii/

Part III coming soon!

Cracking work all around gents!biggrin.png

I wish I could have done more but I still hadn't finished my basing or even my full paint scheme for my army so I didn't want to get "too stuck in" without having my full vision in mind before starting.

Is this a bad time and place to say that I am pledging with the Iron Warriors in the next upcoming battle...tongue.png

I would've liked to get more painted but the summer was busier than I expected. At least I got my single vow done, and got some inspiration from the models everyone posted :)

Still a lot I need to paint (and repaint old models) and I'm sure next ETL I can get more done.

Cracking work all around gents!biggrin.png

I wish I could have done more but I still hadn't finished my basing or even my full paint scheme for my army so I didn't want to get "too stuck in" without having my full vision in mind before starting.

Is this a bad time and place to say that I am pledging with the Iron Warriors in the next upcoming battle...tongue.png

Only if you plan to escape with your life *shrugs shoulders nonchalently*

Cracking work all, we fought as hard as we could. It's all that can be asked.

Consider me another a little surprised our completion percentage didn't see us finish a little higher.

No mistake. The 86.5% is referring to the unmodified completion rate, i.e. how many points were completed over how many points were pledged, while the 85.2% is referring to the completion rate post penalties (i.e. after subtracting the points of those who did not complete a second or subsequent vow. :)

You guys had a fantastic performance in this ETL. Highly inspiring and really fun to follow! Congratulations to all!

Just a heads up, the medallion-style badges are available here

Thanks for all your hard work running the ETL event, Captain Semper!

To all my fellow Sons of Sanguinius -- well done! I was suprised we fell to 5th despite keeping up a good completion rate right to the end. I share the feeling of others, however, that we are still "big winners" this event for all the interaction in our ETL thread and how the forum seemed to "come together".

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Poster_00_Announcement.jpg

THE FINAL REPORT

Having been on a mission that took me outside of the Astronomicon's light, I missed the end of the ETL. Lets see how we did...

Section 1 – Overview

ETL V is over and what an ETL it was!

Huge participation again, the second highest in fact, with 472 participants and the highest completion rate ever which led to the HIGHEST amount of completed points, beating even the legendary ETL III! The biggest event of its kind in the internet just achieved new heights! As usual I would like to congratulate those who completed their vows (or even one vow) and for those who didn’t, well, there is always the next time!

So what were the highlights of this year’s event? msn-wink.gif

Lastly I would like to point out how things work at the other end of the spectrum, with no enormous vows or huge point-count, but with tons of commitment, enthusiasm and fun: The Blood Angels Faction! These guys despite having the lowest average vow in this year’s ETL of barely 400 points (actually the lowest average vow of all Factions of all ETLs) and a participation level that was significantly lower than last year’s spike (but still materially higher than the previous years) managed the highest completion rate in this year’s ETL and the second highest ever (the highest was achieved by the HH faction in ETL II when it numbered just 16 participants).

Again this year the conduct of all participants was exemplary despite the competitive nature of the event. People were always helpful, polite and constructive, as they tried to explain techniques, share tips, help newer participants navigate through the ETL mechanics and of course cheer and encourage their fellow players in new heights of achievement. This is what aligns the ETL with the mission statement of the B&C and that's how it will continue going forward! Furthermore, the “Spirit of the ETL” starts to seep through and gradually people willingly align with it – sometimes zealously so!

Now let’s see how this ETL developed:

gallery_27176_11917_16086.jpg

As you can see there was a sustained strong result every week with the exception of Week 5 (the one immediately after the closing to new participants) which in itself was not that bad. But from Week 6 onwards people became active again maintaining pace week after week. Even Week 9, traditionally a very slow week, did very well – lower than the one preceding and succeeding it but still quite strong. And then Week 11 happened. Don’t know what made the entire community to spring into action, but whatever it was, it worked. Then Week 12 maintained the high completions trend and Week 13? Oh boy… The strongest Week 13 of all time with more that 150k points! This is a record I doubt we will ever beat!

I think the main takeaway from this ETL is that during the dreaded period of deep summer, Weeks 8-10, the production did not wane and as such the final result was an unprecedented 393,548 points (before penalties) the highest score ever in the history of the ETL, beating even the legendary ETL III levels by 566 points and last year’s ETL (the one with the highest participation ever) by more 44 thousand points! Also the penalty points were significantly lower vs. last year and closer to the (admittedly very low) ETL III levels.

And this is it in a nutshell:

E TENEBRAE LUX V – Final Results Table
FIRST Realm of Chaos 111,658 111,658 85.2% 95,133
Second Horus Heresy 108,115 104,362 73.5% 76,748
Third Space Wolves 46,370 44,452 75.4% 33,531
Fourth Codex 48,067 47,319 67.8% 32,061
Fifth Blood Angels 34,733 34,193 85.2% 29,116
Sixth Dark Angels 27,739 26,769 60.3% 16,140
Seventh IFOR 16,866 16,749 54.7% 9,168
TOTAL ETL V 393,548 385,502 74.6% 287,514

ALL GLORY TO REALM OF CHAOS!

ETL CHAMPIONS FOR A THIRD TIME IN A ROW!

And since this ETL marks half a decade of the event, let’s see how the above stats compare with previous ETLs:

gallery_27176_11917_14152.jpg

Section 2 – Faction performance

BLOOD ANGLES STRATEGIUM

Total number of participants: 54

Total number of vows: 100

Total amount of points pledged: 40,155

Average vow: 402 pts

Total amount of points completed (before penalties): 34,733

Total completion rate (before penalties): 86.5%

Total amount of points completed (after penalties): 34,193

Final score: 29,116

ETL V Forum Champion: evildrcheese (3,000pts)

gallery_27176_11917_22923.jpg

The Blood Angels were the most committed Faction of the ETL. Plain and simple. With an astounding completion rate of 86.5%(!) and the second-best re-vowing rate of 65%. From Week 4 they surpassed the average completion rate and they never looked back. Furthermore, the constant interaction in the Strategium, that run for 55 pages, worked wonders for the motivation of the BA team as they completed vow after vow. So congratulations are in order here. The BAs made a heroic effort and was undoubtedly a huge moral victory them.

But why didn’t it translate into an all-out victory? Well, the answer is simple: very low average vow. In fact, it was the lowest average vow of any Faction in the entire ETL history at just 402 points. This meant that even with a 100% completion rate, the Codex would require a modest 58% completion rate to beat them and the SWs a 68%. As it happened both the aforementioned Factions delivered high enough completion rates to make up the difference and to come ahead – albeit with a slim margin. I’m sure this low average vow would be a point of debate in the aftermath of the event…

Be that as it may, the BAs managed a spectacular feat, achieving the highest completion rate this year and the second highest among all factions in the entire ETL history. As a result, they beat their last year’s performance and this says a lot as last year the BAs had record participation of 83! Congratulations for an exemplary performance and one of the liveliest and fun Strategiums of ETL V! Now what will ETL VI bring?

5th? blink.png

Got to admit, I didn't see that one coming. Don't get me wrong, we were looking nervously over our shoulders at the Codex Faction but for the Space Wolves to do that is impressive. However, as Semper rightly points out, we wouldn't have achieved our goal this year even with 100% completion sad.png

To emphasise this, the only record we got this year was our completion rate (both before and after penalties) and our final score. The final score was ~ 3k higher than last year (where we needed 5k more to get third) which just goes to show how much effort and improvement Codex and the Space Wolves Faction had made. However, this shouldn't leave us disheartened; we are still improving with each event and it may be closer in the the years to come (not saying I know anything /wink) Should also add that our Strategium thread has an extra 15 or so pages (~ +300 replies) that last year; I don't say it often enough but I love how awesome we are happy.png Oh, and some of those last minute vows were utterly bonkers! watching people knock out something within the last few days (or even in the last 90 minutes!!!) completely gobsmacks me and I still feel there should be rewards to recognise this.

Other than that, thanks again to Semper for running the event, to the winners and to those who participated B&C-wide; I'm just sorry I wasn't able to lead as well as last year due to IRL reasons.

Oh, and Semper, what happened to those bonus missions? Something about Ghosts of the Past???

Next up, how did each of us do?

Section 3 – Individual Performance

The ETL is not only about faction performance. It’s about individual performance too and some amazing feats of glory have taken place this year. Now, just like last year, those you completed ALL their vows will be awarded the Custos Fidei. This badge replaces the Oath of Moment and denotes the number of completions by presenting a “Seal of Completion” for each one. So someone who has made a single vow and completed it successfully he’ll don the Custos Fidei with the single Seal of Completion. One who has made two will don the Custos Fidei with two Seals of Completion and so on. So the participants who completed 5 vows are awarded a Custos Fidei with 5 Seals of Completion!

If you don't see your name below or you see it in a wrong place do not reach for your bolter. PM me and I'll sort it out. In the mean time feel free to use the badge you deem appropriate!

All the lists are in alphabetical order

FIVE VOWS

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei05.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei05.gif

Auberon [bA]

Boudan [bA]

Hannibaal [bA]

FOUR VOWS

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei04.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei04.gif

Col Conrad [bA]

Lucumon [bA]

Nicodemus Doloroso [bA]

Riot Earp [bA]

THREE VOWS

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei03.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif

Brother Lemartes [bA]

bushman101 [bA]

LutherMax [bA]

Xenith [bA]

TWO VOWS

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gif

Arkaniss [bA]

Chaplain Gunzhard [bA]

Jolemai [bA]

Red__Thirst [bA]

RedemptionNL [bA]

SlangWhanger [bA]

Slothysaur [bA]

SM1981 [bA]

The4thHorseman [bA]

Threefiddy [bA]

Tykris [bA]

ONE VOW

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gif

appiah5 [bA]

Brother_Angelus [bA]

Bukimimaru [bA]

CaptainHelion [bA]

ChapelXIII [bA]

evildrcheese [bA]

Father Mapple [bA]

gav1892 [bA]

Grazcruzk [bA]

Iduddy [bA]

JMunnny [bA]

Lasuria [bA]

Leviathus [bA]

Lostiris [bA]

marine7312000 [bA]

Mightykin [bA]

mozley [bA]

MrFlutterPie [bA]

sockwithaticket [bA]

spagunk [bA]

Thoridon [bA]

xmercx [bA]

Section 4 – The banners of excellence

Furthermore, like last year, the Champions of each faction (i.e. the ones that made the most points) will be awarded the Badge of the Champion:

Blood Angels: evildrcheese

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Badge_02_Forum_Champion_BA.jpg

Now moving on to the other badges of excellence:

The Badge of the Hero: This goes to all who have successfully completed all of their vows and at least one vow worth the maximum of 3,000pts.

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

The eligible participants are:

evildrcheese

These banners/medallions can be proudly displayed in your signature. I understand that the forum rules regarding signatures were changed during my absence so please check these were necessary. Thanks.

5th? blink.png

Got to admit, I didn't see that one coming. Don't get me wrong, we were looking nervously over our shoulders at the Codex Faction but for the Space Wolves to do that is impressive. However, as Semper rightly points out, we wouldn't have achieved our goal this year even with 100% completion sad.png

Well, the cold truth is, completion rate won't cut it on its own - you also need the points. And the average vow for the BAs was just 402 pts - the smallest of any faction in the history of the ETL. This may give you high completion rates but it will affect your score negatively. The Wolves with six percentage points less in completion rate got ahead because they had the highest average vow in the game. Same applies for the Codex. And the reason they were not in the radar is because they're sneaky and played low, jumping to their painting station only in the last three weeks! Even so, the Codex could have done way better with the resources in its command - if they just hit the average completion rate of the event (75%) they could have secured 3rd position. But their completion rate was the third weakest...

But hey, it was close! The SWs were ahead of the Codex by less than 1.5k points while the BAs were behind the Codex by less than 3k pts. But realistically speaking, when your completion rate is in the mid-eighties it's unfair to expect more. It's not only a matter of commitment, it's also a matter of points.

Oh, and Semper, what happened to those bonus missions? Something about Ghosts of the Past???

Oh that... laugh.png Well it was an idea I had in my head that I may still do something about in future ETLs. It just wasn't developed enough to include it in this year's ETL. I thought it would make it, but it didn't. sad.png

Archived