+++E Tenebrae Lux V - Realm of Chaos Strategium+++

Penance Vow

Earlier in this year, I clearly won the Epic Rap Battles of 40K :)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/319201-epic-rap-battles-of-the-grim-dark-future/?fromsearch=1

However, to my surprise, one of my opponents, Marshall Mattias, if you could even call him an opponent he was so unskilled, did not go crawling off in shame, never to be heard from again. :) He is even competing in this year's ETL. Just like in our rap battles, I will handily beat him in a painting battle as well.

I, Carrack, vow that I will complete more points of models painted to the best of my ability than Marshall Mattias, by the completion of ETL. Failure, as unlikely as that is, will result in me having to live with the fact that I lost to a Templar.

Seeing the crazy amount of stuff some of you guys have already managed to finish, I am almost too embarrassed to share my first update ;) I started painting the first model of my vow, my counts as Skulltaker, yesterday. This is what he looks like now:

skulltaker-pip-4.jpg

More pictures here, in case anyone's interested.

I finished painting the model of my first vow, but I think I watered down the white glue too much and almost all the basing material sloughed off this morning.

I'll try again with less dilute glue, but if it fails again I'll just dig out the good old green flock!

I, Iron Skull Mask rise to the challenge of E Tenebrae Lux V and vow to complete...

1 Warpsmith (110)

8 Chaos Terminators (319):

• 5x Combi-Weapon and Energy Axe
  • 1x Heavy Flamer and Energy Axe,
  • 1x Combi-Weapon and Powerfist
  • Champion with Combi-Weapon and Chainfist

1 Chaos Land Raider with Havoc Launcher, Combi-Weapon, Dirge Caster and Warpflame Gargoyles (262)

1 Chaos Land Raider with Havoc Launcher, Combi-Weapon, Dirge Caster (257)

...for a total of 948 points from Codex: Chaos Space Marines on or before August 15, 2016. Success shall fill me with pride and joy, and bring eternal glory to the great Perturabo and the IV Legion. Failure shall fill me with infinite desperation and doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the end of the year.

Photos will follow soon. While the warpsmith is already primed (for a couple of years now actually), the terminators are still in pieces and the Raiders still in their sprues...

//Edit: Before pics

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/ETL%20V%20Before/th_9eb41fb5-e88f-4f27-a510-491d409cf956.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/ETL%20V%20Before/th_20160616_213527.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/ETL%20V%20Before/th_20160616_213817.jpg

Updates for the Updates God, or something else clever:

So yeah, I've made plenty of progress in such a short time. Lots and lots of basecoating was done. There's Kantor Blue everywhere. No pics of that, because I'm sure you guys can figure out what that'd look like. What I do have for you are are some WIP pics of my Defiler. Still plenty of work to go, but it's lookin' good 'n fancy.

http://i.imgur.com/iF6hjp3l.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/qVB4VYRl.jpg?1

So yeah, still plenty to do: some second layers on some colors, the flesh on the front "face", plenty of washing, some edge highlighting, but yeah. I'm quite happy with how it's turning out thus far. Once the legs and claws are actually attached this thing will be a proper beast.

Oh, and my Exalted Flamer of Tzeentch is now complete.

http://i.imgur.com/KaC2h7vl.jpg?1

Nice work, guys! 

Today I finished the Dreadclaw, which is the fourth of ten models in my first vow. 

More pictures, including one on its flying stem, here.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpskuabcoj3.jpg

@ Teetengee: have you tried putting some scrattches on your bases with a hobby knife before doing the whole basing material and glue? It gives the glue something to hold on to. :tu:

@ Iron Skull Mask± YES! I am SO happy you decided to follow your destiny and vow for chaos! Excellent!

@ Scourged: Dude, that is such a nice conversion. It's almost a shame you couldn't vow it as a scorpion!

I should have vowed something without trim, so I had something I could paint when I didn't want to paint trim.

*whingemoangrumble*

Fantastic progress everyone!

Dragonlover

I should have vowed something without trim, so I had something I could paint when I didn't want to paint trim.

*whingemoangrumble*

Fantastic progress everyone!

Dragonlover

Iam still revovering from paiting the trim of the 3 forge fiends from last year!

Little WIP to show you that I'm not idle:

gallery_77459_12048_22265.jpg

I'm a bit ashamed of my work when compared to some of the others here, but it's still not too bad imho. :P

EDIT: forgot the smiley X)

Brothers and sisters!

I have seen several people speak of shame, at a perceived lack of quality and/or output.

There is no shame here! You have more painted now than you did a month ago, and that is what is important!

Besides, the road to Terra is long. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Let the ancients spend their forces early. Let the Wolves howl themselves hoarse. When Semper closes the gates, on the other side a burning Octed will stand triumphant, because to fight the Long War is to know patience.

Dragonlover

I've recalled why the trim bugs me: the Chaos Marine leg sculpts are really naff. We need a resculpt just to sharpen those bad boys up.

Still, got the second half of the squad blocked in. I can neaten it up with the highlights if need be.

Dragonlover

I've recalled why the trim bugs me: the Chaos Marine leg sculpts are really naff. We need a resculpt just to sharpen those bad boys up.

Yeah, no doubt about that. Trim is one hell of a burden. Now, if there was a gold paint that flowed with the same ease as black or red paint, life would be so much easier. Alas, it is not to be. Truly, of all that plights the forces of Chaos, nothing is as burdensome as gold trim. Curse our love for fashion and bling!

Still, got the second half of the squad blocked in. I can neaten it up with the highlights if need be.

Dragonlover

I try and shave the plating to sharpen the trim back up during assembly, a steady hand and a sharp blade are key, but it can really help. You don't need to do much to make enough of a difference either.

I too detest the trim. Not because of how tedious it is, but precisely for what DL said. Every time I get a box of Chaos Marines, the trim on the legs is never crisp. The edges always blur into the rest of the leg plate and you can tell when you're done painting. I really don't mind our current sculpts, TBH. I like the helms and all the extra bits that come with it, and the design of the models is fine. It's just the molds themselves that are irritating.

In other news, I managed to get all the bling applied to my Noise Marines and a quick Mark of Slaaneshi sculpted on one of the champs. Two Terminators have also been built, so four more to do before tomorrow including the Lord. Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer working with loyalist Terminators and Chaos-ing them up yourself? I like the sculpts and all, but they just feel too Black Legion-y straight out of the box. All the eyes and whatnot. That, and there's so much detail that it makes it a pain in the butt to try and make them look like any other Legion. Meh, I guess I'm just full of gripes today...

@MaliGn: These are a bit of a salvage job, but next time I build a unit from scratch I'll remember that. Cheers for the tip!

Got two dudes worth of trim highlighted. Well on course to finish these guys up tomorrow.

Dragonlover

I did some painting and prep work last night. Surprised myself as I wasn't intending to.

I changed the bases to grey, I like the contrast. I went with red for the weapons casing. I'm try to decide what colour to paint the trim of the base. Any preference?

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/12ED190C-A47A-46F1-9822-F6E46D1D847A_zpschco3v6j.jpg

@ Thorn, do not be ashamed. You're getting stuff done (with very bold and cool looking freehand nonetheless!) and you're doing it to the best of your ability. Everyone here is continuously improving their own wuality, and that is ehat truly counts. Be PROUD of your own achievements and accomplishments and cherish each and every model you paint. Would you want to loose/give away/sell your models? No? Then you should be proud of them!!! ::tu:

@ Dragonlover: Well said, brother!!

Now, if there was a gold paint that flowed with the same ease as black or red paint, life would be so much easier. Alas, it is not to be. Truly, of all that plights the forces of Chaos, nothing is as burdensome as gold trim. Curse our love for fashion and bling!
There is such a paint! It is in the Vallejo Liquid Gold range and it is called 'Old Gold'. It's an alcohol based paint, so it needs a little practice to learn well, but once you get the hang of it, trim is no trouble. You'll be getting Helldrake trim done in an hour.

@ BrotherJim: Dude I love that you went with red weapon casings. They look absolutely stunning. I prefer the base on the far right, with the sandy edge. The top provides contrast, but the edge ties the base with the models. Lovely work there. Now would you please, please, please make a tutorial on those Typhus-like exhaust stacks you sculpted. They looks so incredibly good and I need them on my Nurgle Knight. :tu:

@ Tallarn Commander: Sorry man, I must have missed your entry earlier but should be OK now! Good luck!

@ Carrack: So... penance vows already? Well, well, well... That's interesting! :devil:

@ Iron Skull Mask: Welcome back! Good luck mate - big vow there! ;)

OK, so now it's Thursday and the new update will come out on Saturday! How many recruits can you muster until then? Clock is ticking! 

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Thanks Augustus! Really appreciate your comments.

I do intend to make some tutorials, if only to help me remember the process, to teach, is to learn twice, as they say. :)

I'll update my wip (perhaps on the weekend) with a puesdo tutorial. But for now I can give you some quick instructions.

If you look at my WIP you'll see I haven't sculpted them at all! They are just lengths of plastic round sticks that I have hollowed out! Easy peasy.

Basically

1. Use your clippers to cut some 2mm tube into roughly 5mm lengths (as short as you can manage to hold and drill out. It's essential you use your clippers as they will pinch the tube forming a V or cone shape.

2. Use your hobby knife to clean the square end/messy end of the tube (or files work too but I often end up dropping them) Using your knife you can just hold them down on your bench and tidy the end up.

3. Drill out the tube with a 1mm bit.

4. Roll up some greenstuff

5. Place green stuff with sculpting tubes, tidy.

6. Place sprouts with tweezers

7. Poke, prod, push and pull until they look right proper

8. Drown in superglue/plastic glue.

Does that make sense? Photos will help. I'll work something out over the weekend and update my thread.

I'm in the same boat with my dreadnought. I might try experimenting with thicker tubes, or just outright tubes, that don't need to be drilled out.

The main thing that I have realised is, to embrace chaos. Like Mother Nature you need to spam out as many different variations on the theme as possible.

For example don't fret if - the holes are perfectly centred, too deep, too shallow, different length bits, different angle cuts etc etc all of this things are to be embraced and encouraged.

The last step is to take your hobby knife and run around the inside of the tube. Widening it out and creating the illusion that they are not perfect round tubes.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/64CC119B-9DEB-4A96-9CE3-3C9348CBE9AA_zps0xekynsd.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/EDFA1453-FFDB-4F1D-BC02-FB4243DB06CB_zpsvfdncj6v.jpg

Hope that helps!

Great work from everyone btw, I'm going to sit down this weekend and take a real proper look at everything.

Archived