DarkSeren1ty's Journey into the Void - ETL Log

I, DarkSeren1ty have vowed to complete a Daemon Knight Paladin of Tzeentch and a Renegade Knight.

At start of vow:

26979616956_fe6269629b_z.jpg

The detailing on the head and torso is almost complete. Will add the cowl, carapace and chest plate at a later date once airbrushing commences.

26940080042_7bd811619a_z.jpg

The Foe-Reaper Chainsword - Not fully painted yet, but dry brushed to see the details. I'm told it looks Giger-ish.

27034377215_3bd8611843_z.jpg

The rear armor. Red gemstones need to be completed.

26430598003_b826ea6738_z.jpg

Looking good, i love the effect the drybrush has, i also really like the cables and wires that youve picked out, it makes the model look alot more realistic. Really great work so far thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm taking my time with this model (despite him being my ETL vow) and it's my first time working with this many metallic colors. Normally I use flat tones and shades, but experimenting with glazes and washes over metallics gives off some really impressive effects.

I aim to have this piece completed by tomorrow and get at least one of these arms completed by the weekend. Unfortunately, this is the busy time of the year for me (work, study, marathons), so time is my most limited and precious resource these upcoming months. Also, seraphim sepia. That stuff is amazing, but need to restock on it.

XD

Awesome Knight dude :tu: The extra work picking out certain metallic bits, cables, and the like really make the model pop. Those gemstones are immaculately blended. I'm assuming you wet blend? I can't ever get it to work when I try, no matter how large or flat the surface :confused: Any chance for a tutorial next time you do a few?

Ahh the gemstones are not too difficult to do. I made them by rolling tiny balls of greenstuff, letting them harden and slicing them in half.

After gluing them in place, I basecoated them black. I used a thick basecoat to cover up any imperfections in the greenstuff that filing/sanding did not get rid of.

After the basecoat dried, I used a slightly thinned down darkened basecoat of the gem color. In this case, Khorne red mixed with Abaddon black in a 1:1 ratio.

After that basecoat dried, I went to work with the wet blending. I set up all the paints I was gonna use on the gem on a palate, next to each other, and DIDNT thin them on the palate yet (as I didn't want them running into each other). So, from lightest to darkest: flash gitz yellow, troll slayer orange, evil Suns scarlet, Mephiston red, and Khorne red.

I then used a bit of water on my brush (just enough to dampen it), and started with the Khorne red in the centre of the gem, leaving a bit of darkened basecoat in the direction you expect the light to be coming from. After applying this, I quickly went onto the next color after redampening the brush tip without completely washing out the prior color on the brush. I did this for all the remaining colors, working my way to the opposite end of the gem where you don't expect the light to be shining from. The blending is particularly important when you jump from red to orange to yellow.

I finished off the gem by adding a little spot of celestra grey in the darkened basecoat portion of the gem (where u expect the light to come from) and after letting the gem dry, I used a very thinned down gloss glaze.

Didn't get much time to work on Anubis until today, but i've completed him up to this point. And from here on, its gonna be airbrushing most of the way, with brush work only to clean up details.

anyway, heres a couple pics of the foe-reaper. It's done, although I'm contemplating have it slice apart either an eldar wraith unit or a tau monstrous creature and have the base littered with his luckier (currently alive) comrades. Any opinions on whom would make a better visual? Eldar or Tau?

27053736612_6b21712d56_z.jpg

27053718742_45aa2bd063_z.jpg

I would definitely go with Eldar. I mean, optimally I would choose Space Wolves :P But that's just me.

The sword looks good, though I don't particularly agree with the angle of the blades on the end. I think it would look better straight as opposed to curved backwards like that, but that's just me :) Regardless, it's coming along great. Looking forward to seeing it done! ^_^ And cheers for the write up on the gems :D

I would definitely go with Eldar. I mean, optimally I would choose Space Wolves :P But that's just me.

The sword looks good, though I don't particularly agree with the angle of the blades on the end. I think it would look better straight as opposed to curved backwards like that, but that's just me :) Regardless, it's coming along great. Looking forward to seeing it done! ^_^ And cheers for the write up on the gems :D

Thanks, I Kinda know why you'd suggest space wolves. :P (for prospero!)

And those blade are magnetized. I can position them however I want! I just flipped them up a little to show the teeth of the chainsword between the blades.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, time for a little update. So in-between all the studying and work, I managed to scrape up a little free time (5 oh so glorious hours!) and managed to get a little airbrushing done on Anubis, the Celestial Voidstrider of Change

27106274560_b67914dbeb_z.jpg

As befits his title, I thought a space mural would be appropriate for his armor and carapace. And of course, in the colors of change (Pink, blue and purple). I added in a few yellow planets here n there for contrast.

27381950415_08ed6e05d8_z.jpg

I did a little detail work on his shield, greenstuffed a small gem and used plasticard for the tzeentch symbol. I tried to go with a white marble appearance for the symbol, but i don't like the way it turned out. Will probably play it safe and make it metallic gold instead.

27381876715_f8a301dc38_z.jpg

A lot of work to still do on the base. I plan to cover it in martian ironearth, stick in some eldar warp gates that i made from greenstuff and plasticard, then airbrush the ironearth before it dries with matte grey, white and earthy tones, having the purple and pink show up underneath it as unstable energy.

Will post up better pics once i get a bit of sleep and there's some sunlight available. but for now its back to work. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the huge delay in posts. I've been supremely busy at work, with studies and only recently acquired an illness forcing me to become bedridden for a few days. Anyway, here is the completed Tzeentch Daemon Knight: Anubis, the Celestial Voidstrider of Change. (Base is still WIP)

27269359823_890f153c88_z.jpg

And here is the other half of my vow. A renegade knight painted in the colors of my warband (I.e. Parchment colored with bronze/gold trim). He's still a WIP.

27780129412_a521582e9d_z.jpg

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed!

• 1 month later...

So... Vow 1 is complete. As seen here:

27555936274_80e736d489_z.jpg

And I think I can manage to squeeze in my second and final vow here. Meet Osirus, the broken one (count as forgefiend-dakka version):

28271436066_8a7b264c69_z.jpg

WIP:

28034204343_a7fca99c09_z.jpg

28034218803_75d84c4167_z.jpg

Initially I was going for the celestial paint scheme, but there's surprisingly few flat surfaces on this model. So I opted for a more iridescent beetle carapace type of look to contrast the gold metallic details. There's still a lot of work to be done on this guy, but you should get a basic idea of what I'm trying to go for here. And of course he's magnetized for weapon options. :P

Archived