Great detail on that book. The new hilt looks just right too.

Thanks

Great work with those sorcerers, by combining kits it feels very WB. Colour scheme/paint job is solid through and through. Keep it up!

-Noctem

I think that the exalted Sorcerer bits are helping make the chosen look the part, I also think that word bearers have the biggest scope within the traitor legions for bringing in all kinds of different parts to create something appropriate.

CAn you please give us a tutorial on how to paint robes? I'm having huge problems with it and your's look swell :)

Thanks, the way I approach the robes isn't particularly clever or hard, but it is quite time consuming and repetetive:

Over black undercoat I basecoats robes and bones etc with citadel Mournfang Brown (all paints are citadel and thinned with a little water)

then I use approx 2:1 mix Of Mournfang Brown:Ushabti Bone and go over all but the very deepest folds.

Then I add a bit more ushabti bone to that mix (about the same again) and paint that over leaving a bit of the previous mix showing

Then I do the same again, by this point it is almost pure ushabti bone, (but if I were to have had to start again after taking a break I would mix a tiny bit of mournfang brown in before I resumed)

Then I mixing about the same amount of screaming skull and do the same against, leaving some of the previous layers showing in the folds, I tend to start at the highest section and work into the folds

Final step is to mix in some white scar and just do the highest bits/edges.

It's quite a slow process as I've said and I tend to gradually reduce the size of brush I'm using, sometimes adding a bit of extra water to get a runnier paint can help get a smooth transition if you need it. Good luck!

So a good few years ago when I started working on this army I was using a completely different set of paints and some different techniques to paint them up, at the time I built and half finished a CSM squad with Close combat weapons. Now I am planning on finishing them off, but GW no longer even produce half the paints I was using and the new style looks much nicer anyway. If I just finish the five remaining Marines then there will be a clash, not to mention the fact that I leave backpacks until last so the Marines will even clash with their backpacks!

I am hoping to manage to update the existing paintjobs without needing to redo the whole thing in order to avoid a mismatched unit. My plan is to add the wazdakka red/trollslayer orange mix highlights to the existing reds and to darken the trim with nuln oil and then finish off with the last highlight steps - administratum grey and white scar, I'm not expecting a perfect match, but so long as I can get somewhere close then that should be OK.

Here's some old photos of my old progress.

Images removed

Edited by MaliGn

Here's how I've got on with updating the first of these old marines, I still need to edge highlight his feet since deciding to paint them red to match the rest of the models I've done since. I wasn't expecting a perfect match with the newer stuff, but I think I've got close enough. I also think that I'll be switching to 32mm bases but I need to get hold of some more first and I'll do them together.

Image removed

Edited by MaliGn

• 2 weeks later...

First two of the old csm restoration/upgrades are finished. I'd put them on some 25mm bases at some point in the past, but have chosen to upgrade them to 32mm while working on them.

I've done my best to add in the edge highlights I would use if I started them now onto the work done years ago. There are bits that I have left alone even though I would do them differently now, so these are far from perfect.

Images removed

Edited by MaliGn

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working away on the other half of the squad, these have all needed to be done from scratch, i have got them done barring backpacks here goes with a quick snap, i will add individual images once the squad is finished. I think that overall the squad looks pretty good altogether and that the difference between the original of the paint schemes isn't that noticeable.

Image removed

Edited by MaliGn

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on creating a Discord as inspired by the Word Bearers Trilogy, I will use it as a spawn, this is a fairly early days image, plan is too as pipes to the back, and then guitar string and chains hanging below, i am as yet undecided as to how i will do the front, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Image removed

Edited by MaliGn

Further work on the Discord starting to feel like it's coming together, anyone got any opinions on whether all the tentacles should head in the same direction or should I go with o e pointing forward? I'm increasingly thinking all backward.

Images removed

Edited by MaliGn

Been a while since I read the books but Im sure they floated. Having a few forward might look good though, like they are flailing about madly doing their own thing.

Is the main body of the Dischord the backside of a Chaos horsey?

Also that helmit with the flames is genius, might see how it looks on a Brettonian helm for a more brutal medieval look.

Edited by SlaveToDarkness

Cheers Slave! Yeah it's mostly constructed from chaos knight, rump and collar for the main body and the forward hood part is knight legs and shoulder pad.

I am pretty much going with the main tentacles pointing backward but have started adding some extra bits to make the front a bit more aggressive. I'm away for a few days over the Easter weekend but should get assembly finished when I get back next week.

Then I'll have a much clearer plan for number two!

Further progress, i think i am approaching completion in terms of construction (primarily because it is getting tricky to attach any further tentacles to the rhino hatch that they are mounted to. I may do some more green stuff work here and there, anyone else got any suggestions before i go ahead and get this thing painted up?

Also included is a photo with a terminator for scale, it is a little bigger than I initially thought, but some of it's additional height is down to the white tack that is holding it to the base. Speaking of bases i haven't decided between the 40mm or the bike base, or should i track down some of the small ovals for this one? I like the width of the 40mm but i think that the length is better with the bike base...

Images removed

Edited by MaliGn

I got the paints out over the last couple of days and have splashed some basecoats onto the Discord to get a feel of how things will turn out. I suspect that these tentacles are going to be a right pain to paint.

Image removed

Edited by MaliGn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Ok, so I haven't been idle over the last few months, although I am too lazy to fix my links to photobucket, I will get around to fixing the finished pictures in due course, probably when I next do some photography.

So in between starting a new job and the cricket season over the summer I have been steadily working on this Maulerfiend:

IMG 20170924 163701 resized 20170924 082204554

I'm nearly done with it now, need to do the last layer of highlights on the trim (I've been painting it with the limbs separate, figured I'd do the last bits when fully assembled) and various symbols etc. I obviously need to paint the base, but I only built it today and I'm waiting the the green stuff to cure.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, So I've purged all the broken Photobucket linked images from the thread and will now re-post completed images, future WIPs will go up but I'm not going to dig out all the old ones: I'll kick off with HQs and Helbrutes:

Apostle:

Sorcerer with Force Axe:

Apostle Dread:

Helbrute:

Cultists:

Next post will be Possessed

**Edit** Images removed (again)

Edited by MaliGn

Possessed with Mark of Slaanesh:

Champion - based on the Vrosh Tattersoual model, with parts from Helstriders and Black Templars kits.

Icon Bearer 

Rest of Squad:

I'm quite pleased with the way that using the Helstriders feet as Backpack vents turned out, and I deliberately opted to halve their legion icons to show their half-breed nature. Having reviewed the new Codex from a power perspective it costs the same to use them as six possessed as it does to use the champion as an Exalted Champ, so that may be the option I use going forward. I intend to create a Rhino for these guys using the steeds from the helstrider kit as a bas-relief on the sides., as to when i get around to it we shall see.

Next: Terminators

**EDIT** Imaged Removed (again)

Edited by MaliGn

Terminators next then:

Champion/Lord:

Icon Bearer:

Reserve Champion for when champ above is used as a Lord: (I may yet expand the squad in which case I may well create a specific second champion)

rest of the squad

I like the way that the Chaos Knight shoulder pads here and there are reminiscent of Cataphractii but aren't quite right - I am a big believer that Chaos marines shouldn't always need to be in recogniseable armour marks.

I have taken a bunch of photos of other stuff today, just need to get it all organised and uploaded, there is new stuff coming not just rehashes I promise.

**Edit** Images Removed (again)

Edited by MaliGn