Ok, I've still been making progress, I decided a kinda orangey-white glow for the brain/energy ball gizmo at the back and have also been working up the exhausts, which I have heatstained, hoping it works.

gallery_62155_11151_2131.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_105711.jpg

It's just resting in place for the second photo. As the body of the Helstalker still need a fair bit of work. I'm back to thinking I want to move this thread to the Forge which mod would I need to contact for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've asked for this to be moved to the Works in Progress forum in The Forge as sadly the Word Bearers sub-forum seemed to gather very little traffic these days.

I am also still making progress with my Lord Discordant, I've been concentrating on the extremities this time and have finished the trim on all the legs for now - final.highlights will be done post-assembly.

Here are a couple of shots of the last two steps completed to the trim:

gallery_62155_11151_310242.jpg

This one is after a highlight of dawnstone

gallery_62155_11151_12414.jpg

And this one with a further highlight of administratum grey.

I will be working on the extra details on the limbs - skin, rings etc before assembly but final trim highlights will be after attaching to the body.

Thanks for stopping by.

Keeping on with the DiscoLord I've got the tail done and made a start on highlighting the trim on the body. I decided to break it into parts rather than get bored doing one colour and skimp on the effort somewhere.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the cannister things on the back, I think I need to add colour into the recessed chaos stars, open to ideas.

gallery_62155_11151_115640.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_9680.jpg

Beautiful work, and good call for moving it to WiP (would not have seen it otherwise).

The helldrake was awesome!

Thanks, I've been umming and ahing about it for some time, as it was originally in the chaos marines forum where it picked up more traction than my first effort. However these days I think this is the right home. As you will have seen you get lots of updates of my lengthy and slow progress through my projects!

Its looking great, I like the red, the way you have done the highlights and wear marks, almost looks like red leather over the top of the armour

Thanks, i've not done that intentionally but there is a therapy about chaos marines armour becoming one with their flesh so that could be a part of it.

Here's a quick update as I make more progress on the Helstalker. Most of the first two stages of highlights are done on the trim on the one side and head. I'm looking forward to finishing the flesh and then assembling the limbs so I can do the final highlights.

gallery_62155_11151_51859.jpg

Worked up the skin on the Helstalker looks suitably unpleasant I reckon, still few bits and pieces to go, cables, glowy bits, fangs that sort of thing then I can assemble the beast, finalise the base and move on to the rider. I am starting to run out of time so going to have to make an effort to keep going and not get sidetracked.

gallery_62155_11151_244128.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_43753.jpg

Played around with the glowy bits on the underside of the Helstalker, these are bits I have historically painted with a blue glow, but i've never quite been happy with the way I've tried to do the glow out onto the red armour. Logically red doesn't reflect much if any blue light so it should just appear kind of black, which isn't much of an osl look on a miniature.

In the past I've tended to use a light blue and have done, however this time I tried using a darker blue and then adding some brighter spots here and there to help sell the effect a bit better. Please let me know what you think (photos in a range of closeness to help see how it looks.)

gallery_62155_11151_61904.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_310423.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_52088.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_118548.jpg

Let me know what you think as I'm interested to see if j have pulled it off as well as I hope.

Forged ahead and attached most of the limbs, now I can start thinking about final highlights and whatnot, but before that I'm going to build up the base. You know what to expect, tiles and broken cake pillars, associated rubble, and possibly a guardsman victim.

gallery_62155_11151_263704.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_1211.jpg

As always comments appreciated! Now, where did I leave that polyfilla?

very cool model

bravo

Thanks!

Having popped the legs on I've been working on the base, here's where I've gotten to. (Please note that the chain is not glued and I think I will leave it off unless someone can make a compelling argument for why it stays.)

Early stages:

gallery_62155_11151_26600.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_522433.jpg

Development:

gallery_62155_11151_999848.jpg

Finalising:

gallery_62155_11151_585351.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_219728.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_307462.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_115151.jpg

I think I'm happy with that, hits enough cues to other bases, should have enough interest to add some sense of narrative to the model and is tipped at sufficient angle to make the rider work.

All feedback, as ever, appreciated.

Got some painting done on the base, moving along quite well, but I want to make sure that I've done everything I can with it. I'm also very conscious that I am aiming to enter the whole thing in a competition at the end of may so need to get a move on and I need the model on its base for the next steps.

Any suggestions so I get the most out of it appreciated.

gallery_62155_11151_280197.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_129388.jpg

so cool, excellent job!

Thanks, took some feedback on board from various sources and I've tried to add more interest to the tiles, by adding some green into the joints and some colour to some of the tiles themselves.

Just need to finish the body and the banner and I'm ready to go I think.

gallery_62155_11151_278617.jpg

It looks fantastic, yet doesn't steal the focus from the model. It's minor but I really like the broken tile, perhaps because it shows where the spideryhorse is putting its weight (makes it more realistic). Looking forward to seeing the completed model!

It looks fantastic, yet doesn't steal the focus from the model. It's minor but I really like the broken tile, perhaps because it shows where the spideryhorse is putting its weight (makes it more realistic). Looking forward to seeing the completed model!

Thanks, I'd been getting a lot of feedback from various sources some of which was conflicting and I was starting to drive myself crazy trying to use it all, in the end I had to just accept where I was and move on.

Speaking of which I have fully assembled the Helstalker now, ready for final highlights and finishing touches before pushing on with the rider.

gallery_62155_11151_144532.jpg

I'm not usually a big Chaos fan, but iIve always liked that model and yours looks especially awesome,  and that base just kicks it up a notch.  Well done.  You make me kinda want to do a demon engine army (runs after the escaping wallet that is shrieking in pain)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not usually a big Chaos fan, but iIve always liked that model and yours looks especially awesome, and that base just kicks it up a notch. Well done. You make me kinda want to do a demon engine army (runs after the escaping wallet that is shrieking in pain)

Thanks man, it's a fun one to paint that's for sure!

Moved on to the rider, which as you'll remember is based on the Dark Apostle model.

gallery_62155_11151_103311.jpg

And also some progress in the NMM on the book.

gallery_62155_11151_193459.jpg aiming for a greener gold for the edges of the pages and a redder gold for the metal bindings.

gallery_62155_11151_109970.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work, the base really brings it all together nicely. Good luck with the competition.

High praise coming from your good self! Thanks a lot!

Good luck!

Thanks Brother

excellent conversion work! Very sinister!

Thanks, I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

Sonu have finished the Lord Discordant and will have photos to share after the end of the month. However another rule in the comp was around aiming for a black background, which is not something I normally use. So I gave it a go and then tried it out on a model I had to hand - my Pastor of Possession conversion.

So I snapped some shots of that too, let me know what you think!

gallery_62155_11151_85866.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_73285.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_119515.jpg

Let me know what you think about the photos, better on black or on white?