***Further Update May 2 2020: thanks to replacement image hosting also going behind a big fat pay wall all the completed images have had to be relocated again, they are not currently reposted and I would like to apologise for the lengthy section mid blog with lots of talk about images that no longer exist. That said I have now relocated everything into my bolter and chainsword gallery and will be re-posting stuff over the coming days and weeks. If you get bored of waiting for that feel free to check out Instagram or CMON as most stuff is over there. (Although not everything)

*** Please note all old wip images have been removed thanks to the great photobucket policy change of 2017, and completed shots have been posted in new posts from page 3 onward. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322456-maligns-litany-of-hate-mk-3-images-restored-from-page-3/?p=4905982 ***

This will be my ETL WiP thread, mk3 of my painting log for my long running, oft neglected Word Bearers.

First up: vow 1 (likely to be the only one, but we'll see)

I MaliGn accept the Challenge of the E Tenebrae Lux for Lorgar and the glory of the Primordial Truth of His Word, I pledge to complete the following from Codex: Chaos Space Marines on or before August 15th 2016

8 Chosen of the Word Bearers (including 1 Melta gun, 1 flamer an Icon of vengeance, a power axe for the aspiring champion) 174 pts (a few parts not pictured)

1 Helbrute with multimelta, power fist and heavy flamer 115 pts (nb flamer to be added)

20 cultists of the Word with pistols and close combat weapons 90 pts

20 cultists of the Word (19 autoguns, 1 shotgun) 121 points (still waiting for delivery of four models)

For a total of 500 pts

Success will honour the Urizen and the Dark Gods, failure will condemn me to wear the badge of the oathbreaker until year's end.

First update is that I've got the basecoat on for my first ten cultists

I've stretched the contents of one set of Dark vengeance cultists, plus the five pack box into thirty six cultists so far with a mixture of parts from the empire flagellants kit providing the bulk of the parts. But also featuring old necromunda plastics, crypt ghouls, chaos marauders and whatever else I could get my hands on. (the last four will be based off of push fit cadian as budget was too tight to spring for metal Cawdor and redemptionist gangers from eBay at this time) I've tried to mix up and mess around with the stock cultists as much as possible to avoid repetition, some of these changes were quite easy, others, not so much.

I'll be trying to find ways of painting the different parts to really get a feel for the different textures of the fabrics, so there should be hopefully a fair few techniques to try out along the way. Is this too much effort for lowly cultists? Of course it is, but that's not going to stop me.

***Further Update May 2 2020: thanks to replacement image hosting also going behind a big fat pay wall all the completed images have had to be relocated again, they are not currently reposted and I would like to apologise for the lengthy section mid blog with lots of talk about images that no longer exist. That said I have now relocated everything into my bolter and chainsword gallery and will be re-posting stuff over the coming days and weeks. If you get bored of waiting for that feel free to check out Instagram or CMON as most stuff is over there. (Although not everything)

*** Please note all old wip images have been removed thanks to the great photobucket policy change of 2017, and completed shots have been posted in new posts from page 3 onward. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322456-maligns-litany-of-hate-mk-3-images-restored-from-page-3/?p=4905982 ***

This will be my ETL WiP thread, mk3 of my painting log for my long running, oft neglected Word Bearers.

First up: vow 1 (likely to be the only one, but we'll see)

I MaliGn accept the Challenge of the E Tenebrae Lux for Lorgar and the glory of the Primordial Truth of His Word, I pledge to complete the following from Codex: Chaos Space Marines on or before August 15th 2016

8 Chosen of the Word Bearers (including 1 Melta gun, 1 flamer an Icon of vengeance, a power axe for the aspiring champion) 174 pts (a few parts not pictured)

1 Helbrute with multimelta, power fist and heavy flamer 115 pts (nb flamer to be added)

20 cultists of the Word with pistols and close combat weapons 90 pts

20 cultists of the Word (19 autoguns, 1 shotgun) 121 points (still waiting for delivery of four models)

For a total of 500 pts

IMG 20160515 150308

IMG 20160515 145819

IMG 20160515 145945

IMG 20160515 145855

Success will honour the Urizen and the Dark Gods, failure will condemn me to wear the badge of the oathbreaker until year's end.

First update is that I've got the basecoat on for my first ten cultists

IMG 20160516 193144

I've stretched the contents of one set of Dark vengeance cultists, plus the five pack box into thirty six cultists so far with a mixture of parts from the empire flagellants kit providing the bulk of the parts. But also featuring old necromunda plastics, crypt ghouls, chaos marauders and whatever else I could get my hands on. (the last four will be based off of push fit cadian as budget was too tight to spring for metal Cawdor and redemptionist gangers from eBay at this time) I've tried to mix up and mess around with the stock cultists as much as possible to avoid repetition, some of these changes were quite easy, others, not so much.

I'll be trying to find ways of painting the different parts to really get a feel for the different textures of the fabrics, so there should be hopefully a fair few techniques to try out along the way. Is this too much effort for lowly cultists? Of course it is, but that's not going to stop me.

Edited by MaliGn

OK, progress has been made on the first two cultists, I reckon these are pretty much done, bar the bases of course, (plan is to do ten and base them all at once) 

Photos are just quick phone snaps, and I've cheekily run them through a filter just to lighten them up a bit, so colours may not be 100% true, but you should get the idea. 

IMG 20160520 200020

IMG 20160520 200040

IMG 20160522 180324

IMG 20160522 180436

Two more done, one demoted from the Champion model with an axe, the other built out of a flagellant, with arms from a plastic Necromunda Orlock and a Ghoul, head from the helstriders. 

Need to find some extra painting time somewhere as at this rate I'll not get my vow done in time. Ah the tricky balancing act of a family, full time employment and the ETL!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the first ten cultists done and have decided to work on two of the chosen before doing the next ten cultists, I'll get some photos of the cultists in due course, but here's a quick and dirty picture of the most worked on Chosen.

(Picture taken with the camera on a nexus 7 so not even as decent as from my phone, but easier to get online for now)

IMG 20160609 082533

There's only one official Chaos part on him (although I will be using a chaos backpack of some kind) but I rather think he works anyway. 
Edited by MaliGn

Here's some shots of the finished cultists, I may eventually go back and retake these photos. Annoyingly it looks like the cat has mangled the tip of the icon and I just snapped the forearm off the guy with the flail so I need to fix that, but there we go.

IMG 20160610 083417

IMG 20160610 083505

IMG 20160610 083550

IMG 20160610 083626

IMG 20160610 083707

IMG 20160610 083740

IMG 20160610 083814

IMG 20160610 083850

IMG 20160610 083929

IMG 20160610 084002

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, I've tried to get the most out of the cultists models, so while one or two may be close to stock (mostly in the autoguns ones) I've ensured that none of them are the same, fortunately I had lots of spare metal pistols from when I last built cultists (about ten years ago, entirely made of marauders) so adding in some flagellant bodies here and there has helped bulk the units out, I do still need to work out what how I'm going to convert the monopose cadians that I picked up to boost the numbers cheaply, but I'm sure a few head swaps and some green stuff should take care of that.

The hardest parts have been getting the ghoul parts to fit as they are so radically different to either the flagellants or the cultists, but a few mutant bits isn't going to hurt. ;-)

First two chosen are done bar bases and backpacks, which I will do all together, however I'm not sure what to use for backpacks, possessed ones? Dv chosen ones? Standard csm ones? A mixture?

Anyhow here's the chosen first one is based off a dark angel, with parts from black Templars and death company to finish off - only official chaos part is one shoulder pad:

IMG 20160617 182838

IMG 20160617 182749

IMG 20160617 182701

IMG 20160617 182612

Second guy is a mix of death company and black Templars with a csm arm and some flagellant bits and bobs to season.

IMG 20160617 182519

IMG 20160617 182436

IMG 20160617 182344

I realise that I have basically missed the tassel on the hilt of the second  chosen's chainsword, but that's mainly because I haven't had a good idea as to how to paint it, any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Still fighting through, been working on helbrute in an attempt to at least get each unit to a legal point by the end of ETL even if I still fail the vow.

Here's some wip shots of it, the first one is the oldest, and worse quality. Second pic shows current progress where I have got majority of skin done, red armour panelling finished and horns etc complete. Currently blocking out the black for the trim before going back and adding in bruising and gore to make the flesh look that bit more unpleasant. 

IMG 20160729 004412

IMG 20160730 175740

I got a couple more chosen done as well I'll add photos later. (I still need to make the call on their backpacks too)

Nice work on the Chosen, the chaos star on the robes and writing on the parchment look really good.

Thanks, I am pretty pleased with how they are turning out. 

Here's the other two, turns out I used more chaos bits than I remember, bit again lots of bits from imperial sprees. There's a modified bedecked chainsword on one and the other has a the old metal emperor's children torso. Both models use death company legs.

IMG 20160730 233340

IMG 20160730 233257

IMG 20160730 233419

IMG 20160730 233642

IMG 20160730 233510

IMG 20160730 233552

• 1 month later...

OK, so i failed my ETL vow, it was my first attempt and despite my best efforts, i had vastly underestimated how long it would take me to paint. That said I do still have an army to paint, so i may as well try and keep the log moving. to that end i dug out camera and took some better photos.

First up is the helbrute from the ETL vow, I decided to drop the heavy flamer i was intending to include in the end. I found it to be a seriously fiddly beast to get done, i think i killed a few brushed just getting it undercoated, I made a few modifications to the standard Dark Vengeance 'brute and i am pretty pleased with the end result:

and some shots of my converted Furioso dread into what I refer to as an apostle dread, weapons are basically any melee combination really, could be a pair of power fists, could be a power fist and a scourge or even a thunder hammer.

and a shot of the two together, it is worth noting that the older dread dates back about five years to when I started it and that my current models are painted using completely different paints, which is clearly causing some of the discrepancy.

Edit:removed dead photobucket links

Edited by MaliGn

Thanks both, the trophy racks are the ones from the plastic demon prince kit, i'm a little worried that it will be a bit fragile for transport, but that's a problem for another dy. in the meantime here are some Terminators that i finished in February or thereabouts.

Champion (all my champions are painted with black torsoes and bone helmets to show thier status within my Dark Apsotle's dark council. - he can also double as an additional Lord if required)

Again, cheers for looking!

Edit: redoing image links

Edited by MaliGn

I'm going to carry on and add some new photos of old models for a bit, some of which I have shown before in different threads, but since the collapse of warseer it will gather everything into one place for posterity.

First up: my Dark Apostle - converted from an old metal Huron model (that's how slowly i've been working on this army, the model was brand new at the time!) I think this dates back to around 2007 or thereabouts although I redid the base in 2011.

Edit image removed

Edited by MaliGn

These are some seriously cool Word Bearers. That Terminator champ might be my favourite, closely followed by that Dark Apostle!

Cheers Dude, I'm glad you like 'em.

Here's some better shots of the above cultists

Close combat:

And now, my Slaanesh mared possessed unit:

Icon

Champion, it's harder to make out the black torso armour because of the detailing on the model, but it follows the pattern fro the rest of the army.

Images removed....

Edited by MaliGn

• 3 months later...

I picked up the new Exalted Sorcerer kit with the intent of mixing it with the Dark Vengeance Chosen to make some summoners to take advantage of the legion rules in Traitor Legions.

Here are some early WiP shots of the first one I've been working on.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/welshmalign/Word%20Bearers/DSC_0002_1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/welshmalign/Word%20Bearers/DSC_0003_1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/welshmalign/Word%20Bearers/DSC_0004_1.jpg

As you can see he is currently held together with White Tack and Swearing, I am still trying to decide 

A) what to use to replace the Bolter I cut away from under his right arm, as I need something to go on the strap, current fly using a scroll lifted from the Black Templars sprues.

B) whether or not to give him a head swap, options would include heads from possessed, raptors, or the Sorcerer kit - really unsure here I'm inclined to leave him as is to be honest, as I suspect that curring his head off will be a chore.

C) what to do with the holster I have on his left hip, as the current version is the wrong way around, but I don't seem to have any holsters that go the other way.

Anyway, I'm pleased with my progress so far even if I haven't used much of the exalted Sorcerer kit yet!

Love that sorcerer conversion. My own sorcerer I'm working on uses the same base body. I think that was my favorite of the DV chosen, so much character. And yeah that exalted kit has some great bits in it

Cheers, got any photos? I'm planning on making a few with a few different weapon options to make as much use as possible out of the exalted kit.

Love that sorcerer conversion. My own sorcerer I'm working on uses the same base body. I think that was my favorite of the DV chosen, so much character. And yeah that exalted kit has some great bits in it

Cheers, got any photos? I'm planning on making a few with a few different weapon options to make as much use as possible out of the exalted kit.

Not yet. I haven't put him on his new legs yet as I didn't want to start sawing them free of their character while only half awake. On vacation now though so I'll have something soon. We can compare. Truth be told I almost used the same backpack you did, but it didn't suit my nurgle dedication