• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chaeron, Pearson I know that the way I paint metal isn't the most technically "correct" way of non-metallics, but I quite like the way it looks.

Here's an update on the turret:

gallery_62155_11151_526411.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_251905.jpg

One pic is too bright, one too dark and there is still plenty to do but I'd appreciate the input on my progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on the chassis, got the base coats down and finished the reds, here's a progress updates, with and without turret.

gallery_62155_11151_1060727.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_797047.jpg

C&C always welcome, nest step is the metal trim.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, got the bulk of the chassis complete now, need to do the bone sections, the lamps around the cupola, finish the eyes and a few more bits.

gallery_62155_11151_1375629.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions for the chapter that the trophy has been taken from?

Also I'm a little unconvinced by my efforts with the blue glow from the engines and wondered if any e had any suggestions? I'm thinking of going over the outer sections of it with some baal red to make it look more blended.

Pictures aren't the best, partly thanks to using the always on flash option on my phone when taking the photos at midnight last night.

gallery_62155_11151_254882.jpg

Any suggestions?

MaliGn, It's great seeing this project evolve.

I have no suggestions regarding the trophr chapter.

The blue looks fine to me. But if you are concerned about the contrast being too great between the blue engine exhaust and the red hull, then perhaps you could add some more very thinned out (thinned using water and or a matte medium) blue on the red hull. Add it on in very light layers that build up gradually.

Alternately you could "wet blend" thicker layers on by mixing the paint with acrylic retartadant, and "feathering" the blue paint on with a brush. Google "wet blending" for more information.

The pictures look fine to me, but I'm just a layman.

Update tine: more or less finished the chassis, will add, text, iconography etc once the Sponsons are on. Also will go back and do the tracks last. Going to try so e gw texture paints on them I think. Pretty pleased with the way this looks at the moment. Photos with and without the phone flash on.

gallery_62155_11151_524730.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_904115.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_1751288.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_725591.jpg

Critique always welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Presenting: The Infernal Truth a Carrion pattern Helforged Predator tank of the Word Bearers legion of Heretic Astartes, part of the host of Dark Apostle Carnac.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28bwapz.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/5zkrr8.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vvw8xv.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2qs06d3.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/30tm93d.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/f3psj.jpg

So yeah, I finished my ETL vow this year, I'm quite happy with how the tank came out, I learned a lot and may need some tweaks to some older projects to bring them in-line.

Any comments and critique would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I've just got back from my local Warhammer store's anniversary (plus the 500 store celebration event) having entered my Predator and Maulerfiend into the vehicle and monster painting competitions respectively. I'm very pleased to say that the Maulerfiend placed third, but the Predator scooped Best Vehicle which netted me this rather nifty framed print:

http://i68.tinypic.com/vowhm8.jpg

I was actually quite surprised to win as there were some strong entries by the time I had entered, and based on where I picked up from some others had pushed the model right into the back of the display cabinet, so I can only imagine the quality of those pieces added later. I missed most of the day, but the feedback I got from the people I got the chance to speak to was that it managed to attract a lot of attention so i'm pretty chuffed. I actually bought the tank itself at the opening event for the store a year ago so it was a nice piece of synchronicity for it to scoop the win.

So to celebrate my victory I picked up a box of blood warriors for a project I have been rather putting off, watch this space as I work on that.

Edited by MaliGn

• 4 months later...

Hey, didn't I see this Predator posted on DakkaDakka? Or maybe some Warpsmith's been stealing your ideas... :tongue.:

The conversion looks boss! The mutations are not over-the-top, but still gives the feeling that the tank is alive and sentient.

Hey, didn't I see this Predator posted on DakkaDakka? Or maybe some Warpsmith's been stealing your ideas... :tongue.:

The conversion looks boss! The mutations are not over-the-top, but still gives the feeling that the tank is alive and sentient.

I didn't post it there... Thanks for the feedback snetie t and alive is kind of the idea behind how it should look I reckon... Not just full of stuff that is seeping out the edges like a lot of demonically possessed vehicles are portrayed.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I've started work on my raptors at last! The concept behind these guys is that they were once a squad of Ashen Circle and over the millennia their iconoclasm and penchant for firey destruction attracted the blessings of Khorne. I'm not really building these with gaming in mind so they will feature a variety of weapons that won't be legal options per se. I.e. hand Flamers, inferno pistols and random axes etc. I'm using parts from the age of sigmar khorne stuff to show their devotion and continue my theory that chaos power armour need no longer resemble any formal mark at all - a theory born both from my lack of desire to actually learn all the nuances of power armour and also from the more of corruption and scavenging used by the traitor legions.

Anyway enough waffle from me here's what I've achieved for my first model - currently mostly held together with tack but I'm reasonably happy with him so far.

gallery_62155_11151_1371160.jpg

Let me know what you think and make any suggestions for future squad members...

Edited by MaliGn

Really loving that helforged predator. Beautiful conversion and paint job

Thanks, glad you like it!

Oh man, love that pred. Had considered doing the same to make my own hellforged, but the solution with raising the turret is great!

It's not easy, adjusting the ectoplasma cannons to make one central gun was a little tricky as they are technically mirrored and needed some shaving and tweaking to meet up properly because of bits that overlap with their natural other halves. Raising it up was just some plasticard under the turret mounting plate. I'd probably do it slightly differently if I did it again...

Bit more Raptor progress, got three build now, using a combo of the blood warriors and raptors plus a few old standard chaos parts to work these up. I have had to trim the midriff from some standard power armour torsos to get the torso to look about right.

gallery_62155_11151_586402.jpg

This is the first guy, tweaked him by using an actual raptor arm instead of the blood angels one, couldn't work out a way to do the underslung grip that the heresy ashen circle had on their hand flamers so had to make do with a regular hold.

gallery_62155_11151_1302721.jpg

Next up was this guy's, mixed a classic can chainsword with a blood warriors gorefist arm which I reckon works and adds a level of brutality to the old bit, plus the Kh

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, further raptor building has ensued - now up to seven built only one left.

Note I realise that these are not the best quality photos.

gallery_62155_11151_537598.jpg

I decided to Mix it up a bit with this guy rather than using a blood warriors torso I used the standard raptor torso so I added some of the fetishes from the warrior sprue to his belt - I may yet go back through the whole squad to add geegaws and doodads to match the rest of the army. He features an inferno pistol taken from the death company sprues as a nod back to the ashen circle concept.

gallery_62155_11151_253960.jpg

This guy seems pretty basic at present married an old berserker chain axe with a raptor arm and used a very old school head from an old upgrade sprue. I quite like one or two of those old heads from the mutation sprue I picked this one as he has horns and I've aimed to use either khorne crested heads or warp talon horned helms this far - bare head excepting so this made sense as a bare head option.

gallery_62155_11151_59024.jpg

Next up is the icon bearer - I have to say that I'm not keen on the new backpack mounted icons doesn't sit with my word bearers if you ask me, but this khorne icon raptor is built to create some variety and a few levels of ornateness for a the duty he is responsible for. I grafted some legs for a death company model to a terrain piece from the foot of a raptor and changed out the toes of his boots to match. I also used my standard torso process then added the loincloth from the slaughter priest that came free with white dwarf a few years ago. I decided to also add an axe for his close combat weapon and gave him a holstered pistol. I'm really pleased with the way he came out.

gallery_62155_11151_138818.jpg

This is the main squad leader, body is from Haarken worldclaimer and then the rest comes from the blood warriors. I decided to keep his body pretty much stock and although I toyed with a thunderhammer option but decided that this brutal double bladed axe looked more interesting. I did use one of haarken's shoulder pads to finish off and may go back with some more details later. I think he looks quite brutal and menaci g - which is old for a khorne lord/champion.

I have one more to build and am planning to give him the thunderhammer option I had thought of for the champion. I'm also going to look at options to add similar trophy racks to haarken's from the terminators to certain jump packs.

I know some detail is lost in these photos but comments always help refine the planning process.

Built the last guy as a junior champion, so that they are all distinct I have used a body from the new shadowspear models. Changed his breast plate to one from the blood warriors and swapped his chainsword for a bolt pistol. Like with the death company guy I used raptors toes and I used the power fist from the raptor kit too. His head came from the chaos knights and then added terminator trophy racks to his jump pack.

gallery_62155_11151_708716.jpg

Also some better photos of the Haarken conversion:

gallery_62155_11151_319680.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_1383868.jpg

I have added some extra details to most of the unit chains, grenades, and the like to make them a little... More.

I'm considering adding a pistol holster to the Lord's hip but I'm not quite sure.

Made some headway with the raptor, helped in part by picking up a magnifying daylight lamp for a tenner in Aldi - since moving house the light in the space I have for painting leaves a lot to be desired. This seems to have helped, I used to use a magnifier years ago and forgot how handy they can be.

Need to work out what to do with the underlayer of the armour on the shoulder pads and knee, and have a fair bit of tidying and finishing up to do, but I'm starting to think these are on the right track.

Still not sure about the brass. And I'm open for suggestions for the marine helmet on the base - thinking some kind of.ultramarine successor?

gallery_62155_11151_196273.jpg