Looking good!

I particularly like where you are going with the flames at the bottom of the icon and the darker shading at the top. It sets up a nice dramatic contrast. It's sort of the inverse of what you did with the flames and shaded cloak on your Dark Apostle awhile back.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that when I did it, just seemed like a good use of the space and made the banner more interesting.

Here's an update I've got the cloth and bone bits mostly done, few tweaks yet perhaps and I've started working on the metal sections, which is going to be tedious especially the chains.

gallery_62155_11151_177876.jpg

And also the other dreadnought for your viewing pleasure:

gallery_62155_11151_407357.jpg

This is my apostle dread - the remains of Kor Ladron - original Apostle of the host are held within after he suffered a mortal injury during his penitent voyage into the Eye of Terror following the failure of the Horus Heresy - the survivors of that fated voyage form the current leadership of the host.

gallery_62155_11151_436682.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_251614.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_396099.jpg

As you can tell this was based on the Furioso kit, heavily modified, and here is a pic of the two together.

gallery_62155_11151_27414.jpg

• 1 month later...

A superb Apostle Dread. Perhaps in casual settings, if your opponent agrees, you can points him simlarly to a Blood Angels Librarian Dread and use in-house rules so he can get a Dark Apostle's abilities. That would be fun. :)

I never thought of that, that would be pretty cool.

So I've been a little side-tracked by some decorating in my youngest's room, but since I won a draw at the cricket club I thought I would reward my labours with a new toy. I've had my eye on one of these for a while and I have a nugget of an idea for some reposing.

gallery_62155_11151_93402.jpg

Today I cracked her open and made a start on figuring things out.

gallery_62155_11151_359162.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_150009.jpg

I think I'm going to have to bring it more straight on and use the back legs to perch it on the column...

Plans include bulking out the tail with spare lasher tendrils from the Maulerfiend. And a pair of smoking boots...

I'm going to give it a baleflamer because 1) fire-breathing is the best kind of dragon and 2) I can use the Hades autocannon for a quick and dirty reaper chaincannon conversion down the line.

Painting this may take some time...

I have to say that this is a fun, if spiky model to build!

gallery_62155_11151_34021.jpg

Making progress I originally wanted it to hold the pillar with a front arm, but then the wing angle looked silly, this version uses the back legs and I think is nicely menacing especially for the poor guardsman likely to adorn the base.

gallery_62155_11151_246884.jpg

Been working on the heldrake's base, not finalised yet, but gives the idea of where I'm going I think.

Still to do: green stuff the big hole where the flying stand goes, adding trim to the leg panels where I've modified them and spring out the positions of the back legs and talons.

Toying with the idea of adding extra details to the back plates as well as they seem to be crying out for it!

Moved on with some green stuff work, will need a few more passes before I've filled the flying stand hole, but the detailing went ok.

gallery_62155_11151_415637.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_136263.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_101811.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_663431.jpg

Aiming to create a latros sacrum, plan is that i'll paint in the flames. I think I'm happy with it, but not sure.

Also did the trim on the altered leg plates.

gallery_62155_11151_99838.jpg

Looking sweet. Good modeling with the green stuff. I know the final outcome is gonna be great.

Thanks Dread, tonight I spent a bit of time working on the back legs to get the pose right for perching on the pillar, bit fiddly and I had to cut holes into the pillar to make the talons sit right, I'm not sure if I should fill them with something or whether it won't really matter with the heldrake in place.

gallery_62155_11151_67796.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_985658.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_250117.jpg

I'd just make the stone looked cracked where the talons are in it, it'll look cool either way.

Since I dropped a bloody talon down the hole while making some adjustments I had to cut the plasticard off the pillar to rescue it, so I've used some filler to bulk up the inside, I will see how this goes, I may yet need to chip some more out of each hole for the talons.

I've also added some maulerfiend tendrils to bulk up the tail I know it's a common thing to do, but those cables are so flimsy and it does help a bit, I still need to add green stuff to fill in the holes and I only had three leftovers to work with so settled for just 2.

gallery_62155_11151_188776.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_81510.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_231499.jpg

I went for a final test build and what a frustrating experience that turned out to be! White tack was simply not strong enough to support the whole thing.

I've started adding pins in the joints to allow me to try again, I'll be using them for painting purposes anyway and I think that they'll help with assembly. I'll try and mask the join points when I'm painting this time as since so much of the assembly will be fighting gravity I want a stronger bond than superglue on paint. Got to figure out the armour panels I'll be leaving off too.

gallery_62155_11151_646036.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_240166.jpg

I added filler to the bottom of the pillar to help lower the centre of gravity, but I think I'll need to add some weights under the front of the base. Just to be on the safe side.

Started adding pins for assembly purposes, and then went ahead and added painting grip pins for all the sub assemblies.

gallery_62155_11151_1339587.jpg

Yup, that's 19 parts plus the base to paint! (I know the parts are not of equal size or complexity)

Speaking of the base:

gallery_62155_11151_327681.jpg

I've attached the pillar (pinned for security) and detailed up the foot of it with some broken bits of filler and sand, need to find some boots to have smoking in a scorch mark. I'm wondering if I have an old Orlock model that would work anyone know of anywhere that makes empty boots?

I have a whole bunch of boots I cut off chaos warriors - here's a picture of maybe 1/4 of them:

33uZM1z.jpg

If you think they might be what you need, I can send you however many you would like.

Thanks for the offer, but I need them both flat to the floor, so I had a little rummage in the bits box and it delivered in the form.of a plastic Orlock ganger from the original Necromunda starter box. As such I now have a simple question:

Facing in or out?

gallery_62155_11151_77204.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_28412.jpg

Plan is to add a wisp of smoke after painting in a massive scorch mark. Suggestions have been made to tip one over on its side, which I am leaning toward.

Edited by MaliGn

I think facing out is better as well.  The orlock boots look good.

The boots I have can stand flat, but look like they would need some greenstuff repair work.  As well, with me being in Canada, you would have to have delayed your build if I were to send you some.  That said, let me know if you want to give some poor orlock ganger some replacement feet. :)

I think facing out is better as well. The orlock boots look good.

The boots I have can stand flat, but look like they would need some greenstuff repair work. As well, with me being in Canada, you would have to have delayed your build if I were to send you some. That said, let me know if you want to give some poor orlock ganger some replacement feet. :)

Yeah that's quite an epic distance for a pair of boots for a basic gimmick! I do appreciate the offer, but I can't see me re-shoeing the ganger anytime soon! (I did use one in my cultists, but the quality of the sculpts is quite a few steps below current standards to be honest!)

I think the consensus is toes out, one lying on its side with a pile of ash in between and wisps of smoke coiling up from the boots with a massive scorch mark painted around it all...

• 4 weeks later...

Whoops! Life got in the way a bit, changes to work, high temperatures and cricket finally started - what can I say? I never did finish the raptors before the cricket season and now I've gone and started painting the heldrake.

Well I say I started painting the heldrake, but because I plan to try some new techniques when it come to drybrushing (i.e. using the Artis Opus series D techniques but improvising with a makeup brush and using the wet pallette as a dampening pad) I've made a start with the base, still loads to do with this more highlights on the pillar and rubble, highlighting all the tiles, painting the boots and ash pile, weathering etc. Oh and the small matter of a massive mechanical dragon.

gallery_62155_11151_852625.jpg

So I have started the heldrake proper!

Very early days on what is bound to take me ages but I've started the body - this is because I want to be able to attach each painted part to another once finished.

I've tried to make the inevitable trim chore more bearable by doing three layers of drybrushing instead of the normal 2 but I'm not sure it will be enough, I'm going to extend the nuln oil wash across the trim which I don't normally do, but will still need to add the highlights.

Also put the first layer of red down, to see how things look, quite pleased this far.

gallery_62155_11151_919961.jpg

Those extra appendages really go a long way toward balancing the “forward-heavy” design of the heldrake. I really like it!

Thanks, it's hardly an original idea, I think I borrowed it from @krautscientist but yeah it does add a bit more balance to the model.

Here's an update, just some more work on the red, applied the wazdakka red basecoat over the khorne red and hit with nuln oil (which went over the trim as well) I've then started the edge highlights of wazdakka red. This is going to take an aeon to paint but hey Jo.

gallery_62155_11151_867139.jpg

Looking good so far. I have never bothered tracing the trim with an edge highlight on my Word Bearers, I don't have the patience. The trim forms a boundary anyways, so I would do spot highlights in the panel using glazes to create the transitions.

Looking good so far. I have never bothered tracing the trim with an edge highlight on my Word Bearers, I don't have the patience. The trim forms a boundary anyways, so I would do spot highlights in the panel using glazes to create the transitions.

It's something I've been doing for a while, I find that brightening up the edges of the panels makes the middles look darker and by adding orange into the reds it has that extra warmth that offsets the desaturation effect of the nuln oil.

So on that note I've done the second highlight on the red, by adding troll slayer orange to the wazdakka red. I've also done the main layers on the flesh.

gallery_62155_11151_646574.jpg