I think this might work as painting during the week, building at the weekends.

I think I've rescued the cloak and while the gold still needs a few more stages I'm starting to feel better about this guy.

gallery_62155_11151_191124.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_88495.jpg

By the way still thinking about getting this thread shifted to the WIP forum anyone got any thoughts? I kinda think I might need to fix all the busted tinypic links to do that in any kind of worthwhile positive way.

Cloak looks good - I like what you've done to it.  I agree its a big improvement over its previous iteration.  

As for moving it to the WIP forum, that's up to you and what you want to get out of it.  Are you most looking for comments on your painting and conversion work, and are hoping for advice from persons highly skilled at those aspects of the hobby?  The WIP forum seems like a better place.  On the other hand, if you are more interested in discussions of the gaming or lore side of the hobbies, and want to chum around with others who are likewise interested in the chaos faction, here seems like the natural place to do that.

I like the first one better, and would paint the circular bit in the middle like a brain - it makes sense that a chaos psycher would use the brain of a now-deceased psycher to augment his own powers.

The wormy one doesn't really work for me as the sorceror doesn't have any wormy parts elsewhere on the model.

You conversion is quite similar to my own, except that you did a better job with the arm holding the staff.

Love the brain backpack - I think it was a good choice (and not just because I suggested it ;) ).  He looks great.  I espcially like his book holding familiar - what's it from?  The work on ornate cover/backer and the open page is absolutely fantastic.

That's :cussing fantastic.

Thanks dude, he's entered in a local painting comp, we'll see how he gets on (I may be biased but I think he's up there)

Love the brain backpack - I think it was a good choice (and not just because I suggested it ;) ). He looks great. I espcially like his book holding familiar - what's it from? The work on ornate cover/backer and the open page is absolutely fantastic.

Cheers doc, the book is taken from silver tower as are the familiars for my other sorcerers. It was great fun to paint.

Here's some work on the next raptor.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not building his feet properly so I may try and fix them with green stuff.

gallery_62155_11151_218125.jpg

Bit more progress on the raptor

gallery_62155_11151_534518.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_22408.jpg

Need to do his jump pack and his final highlights on the trim and a few other little bits but I'm getting there.

In other news the sorcerer placed second in a "maelstrom of magic" painting competition at my local Warhammer store. Which was pretty cool.

By the way still thinking about getting this thread shifted to the WIP forum anyone got any thoughts? I kinda think I might need to fix all the busted tinypic links to do that in any kind of worthwhile positive way.

My personal feeling is you get more comments and feedback outside of the WIP section but maybe that's just me.

My personal feeling is you get more comments and feedback outside of the WIP section but maybe that's just me.

That's an interesting point and trends toward why I originally made the claim here. however initial clonhcff

That's an interesting point and trends toward why I originally made the claim here. however initial clonhcff

Hmm maybe I shouldn't try and comment while too drink to type... I think what I was trying to say was that I originally put this post here as my original attempt in the WIP forum hadn't gained much traction, bit then as others have pointed out in the past my humble little plog still doesn't seem to get as much attention as perhaps it might. Maybe it's the pace of updates? Lack of bat-reps? Lack of lore? Maybe it's the damn broken images? Anyways. I finished what will probably be my last model for 2019 (bringing me to a grand total of 9 finished models for the year - which considering I am also mid house refurb and have decorated several rooms and fitted a kitchen this year I'm pretty pleased with)

Here's the junior raptor champion for occasions on which the haarken conversion (which I will paint as the last model of the squad) gets a promotion.

gallery_62155_11151_34289.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_473336.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_270932.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_337740.jpg

As always feel free to jump in and let me know what you think!

Here's my year in review:

gallery_62155_11151_280643.jpg

9 models each of which I am really happy with, I have learned a lot painting each of these and think I am close to taking my painting to a new level thanks to techniques I have experimented with and picked up this year. I've started to use glazes for the first time which I think has improved my nmm. I also have to say that the move to a wet pallette has been a useful addition, I'm not 100% convinced I'm using it to its fullest potential yet, but it certainly has stopped paint drying up on the brush as I paint.

I was able to successfully complete my vow in the ETL and even picked up an Artificer badge which was an honour. That being said I entered the obliterator into Everchosen and didn't even place in my local store vote. I did however pick up a third place and a second place for my new Lord and Sorcerer models respectively in other local competitions which is leading me to think of trying to really push myself and enter some bigger competitions next year.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my hobby for 2019 and I'm looking forward to finishing some current projects and embarking on new ones in 2020.

What an awesome project you have going on MaliGn!! Great converting and painting throughout, especially on your character models.

My favourite is definitely your new Dark Apostle - awesome conversion and paint job, he looks so menacing like he is climbing the stairs to do something REALLY evil. I think you should be rightfully proud :tu: :tu:

Edited by Midnightmare

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome project you have going on MaliGn!! Great converting and painting throughout, especially on your character models.

My favourite is definitely your new Dark Apostle - awesome conversion and paint job, he looks so menacing like he is climbing the stairs to do something REALLY evil. I think you should be rightfully proud :tu: :tu:

Thanks! I think some of the stuff may have gone missing, so I will have to look into resolving that. I've honestly tried to put about the same level of effort into every individual model in the army, even the humble cultists.

I've had a bit of time off over the festive period and managed to find a bit of time to make some progress on the Venomcrawler, in that I've pretty much finalised construction and have got as far as laying down some initial base colours. I think I will dabble back and forth between it and the rest of the raptors with a rough goal of having them finished by the start of the cricket season, but I am also renovating a house so that may not work to plan.

gallery_62155_11151_807441.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_563250.jpg

Yeah I know the second pic is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

Decided to add ancillary bases under the overhanging pillars, I think it helps prevent the impression of the pillars "falling off the edge" that happened with just the standard base. I also got the base undercoated I kinda want to press on with the base first before the rest of the model, I can tell that all those tiles will be tedious to paint so switching back and forth may be a part of it.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do with the banner, do I go for a word bearers design or a damaged and defaced imperial one? I'm sort of tempted by an Ultramarines banner that is all scorched at the bottom as though it used to hand a lot lower.

gallery_62155_11151_705503.jpg

Separate question along the lines of my thoughts of moving this thread to the WIP section, should it perhaps instead go to the word bearers subsection of this forum?

It's up to you if you want your WIP to sit in the main Chaos section or the Word Bearers sub-section :tu:

Colours are really nice here, the inline highlight in particular - makes me want to be naughty and start on my Venomcrawler :P I'd go for a Word Bearers banner, it doesn't look very UM and it'd be cool to have the area already claimed by the WBs :)

It's up to you if you want your WIP to sit in the main Chaos section or the Word Bearers sub-section :tu:

Colours are really nice here, the inline highlight in particular - makes me want to be naughty and start on my Venomcrawler :P I'd go for a Word Bearers banner, it doesn't look very UM and it'd be cool to have the area already claimed by the WBs :)

Thanks WarriorFish I know that the in-line highlight doesn't always make for the most realistic finish on a model, but I do like the way it lifts the red on these which is why I've used it, glad it works for you too!

I've pressed on with the base for now as I do enjoy painting scenery and I don't get much opportunity to do so. I'm not looking forward to highlighting each of the tiles but I always knew that would be a chore.

The consensus of feedback elsewhere was to go for a damaged and defaced imperial banner so I've started to work on that, i'm tempted to hit it with a dry brush of ulthuan grey as a next step to desaturate it a bit and to add some texture, we'll see.

gallery_62155_11151_805000.jpg

I've decided to leave the banner as it is for now, will need to do the chains, skulls and a few other bits on the base, but for now I've decided to press on with the rest of it. So up next is the flesh, I've given it it's main colour and will be adding blood for the blood God and some red washes once I've done the metals.

gallery_62155_11151_422449.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_135654.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_49534.jpg

gallery_62155_11151_44471.jpg

I did try test fitting the back legs and there seemed to be a problem with the fit, I guess I'll be able to fix this later.

gallery_62155_11151_475416.jpg