+++The Fate of Gilgamesh+++

All units are taken into account. Once again your bases are full of promises!

So far, this current session is dominated by the Green Skins who are performing an outstanding work (and their minis are fantastic to be honest). Our own effort is more moderate but we are gaining positions against the Aeldari, notably in your sector thanks to you and a Sister of ours.

Nonetheless, everything is under control and we should be fine.

Death to the False Emperor!!!

Celtic_Cauldron

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'll start to put together my basing tutorial here. I'll have a few different versions but the materials are all fairly simple.

uBxobRO.jpg

All the materials are fairly standard: hobby knife, cutters, cork board, a few different sizes of beads, assorted bitz (depending on your warzone theme) and tacky glue.

poxwal10.jpg

First unit to be completed: 20 Poxwalkers in Hive Enmerkar, aka sector 4. Currently painting 9 Berserkers, 10 Terminators and a Chaos Lord for my World Eaters' army.

Those Pox were really a pain in the... well, you know what I mean. Being back on some Astartes is really good and so much more enjoyable.

Happy to this tutorial happening. That is something I will share on the main forum as your work on your bases is really appreciated by the Gilgamesh community.

Celtic_Cauldron

Let me say, they look very nice, Celtic!

Here is the next part of the base tutorial:

1. Use a pen to trace the shape of the base on some Cork Board.

0hP9ntO.jpg

2. Cut out the shape of the base with an X-Acto knife, or you can roughly break it out in the desired shape.

CjLmKdT.jpg

3. I break the full circle in half with a slightly larger bottom half and slightly smaller top half. Use tacky glue to glue to base and to each piece of cork board like this:

vOQQ8ot.jpg

4. To add depth and variation, try to stagger your pieces of cork to give an illusion of height.

bdgCPZp.jpg

5.To add strength to the tacky glue, i also add in my hobby glue (Zap-a-Gap) into the mixture. This makes a very solid and permanent bond to the base and the cork board.

I8u6U32.jpg

ImiMwfo.jpg

6. Here is where you can any number of things to vary your bases. The story I am trying to convey with my Death Guard Army is invading the trench lines of a defending Imperial Army. It should be noted that I have no intention of actually playing another game of 40k again. These bases represent my efforts to put a cool looking army in a display case. You might want to just cut out some steps for competitive play. Let your goals override anything I lay out here.

I consulted many different sources to see what I could try to recreate. I used Pintrest and Google Images heavily for this effort.

6303054e67e08e90af5e5e8c8c1d3461.jpg

9dde097747c7c9874397d0807517208a.jpg

04be899c240f731b09d82111830d1011.jpg

There are literally thousands of photos you can use to caputre for inspiration. If anyone wants to check out my boards and pins feel free.

https://www.pinterest.com/proflee77/

7. I choose a Trench theme and this is what the army will begin to explore throughout the various models.

8. I laid out the trench boards in a two-to-one pattern similiar to this:

fwOZoH1.jpg

You don't need to go through the trouble as many trenches are probably hastily assembled and don't always have the luxury of meticulous designers.

9. For larger bases, I try to add some sand bags and skulls to increase the feeling of a warzone being overrun.

eyMbvlq.jpg

Impressive that such a result can be achieved with techniques which seem so simple.

Thanks for this tutorial Brother. It will definitely enrich both this topic and our forum.

Do not worry about the translation as I will do it myself: quite a certain number of us can speak both languages but I will translate the whole article nonetheless.

Celtic_Cauldron

Toxic Bases:

A few friends have asked about my toxic bases as well. Follow the same techniques as the previous tutorial, but instead of laying out boards for trenches, leave some blank space on the surface of the base to create your toxic goop.

Here's the method I used to produce these bases. I'll show you my methods and something I discovered recently which makes the process A LOT easier!

First, here are some additional materials, I may not have done a great time covering in the first version of the tutorial: You can find these beads in any number of craft stores or even a Walmart (I know... I know... I hate supporting them, too.)  Alternatively, you could roll up a bunch of different sizes of greenstuff and cut them in half, but this could be time consuming.... and boring.

pr1wlDL.jpg

Again, Tacky Glue will be your friend here. You can't overdo it with the glue and it will fill the tiny holes in the bead to make the illusion of proper bubbling radioactive goo (or even lava if there are some Khorne / Blood Angels among your ranks.) For the larger beads, you can use a hand saw to cut them in half, or some wire cutters and chop them from the middle. we'll be using a lot of tacky glue so a perfect cut isn't necessary.

I also have young daughters, so i discovered the "BEDAZZLING SECTION" of the local craft store recently... you can imagine my horror.... that is until i came across these gems! Ready to go half-globes that i could glue right to the base! They save a ton of time, and once you prime and paint, no one will ever no they are designed for a young girl's purse!

viihaQW.jpg

I generally lay the cork board down and make sure the figure will have a place to stand before planning out the boils. Other than that, just be creative where you place the bubbles and make sure to mix up the sizes to get the roiling surface your desire:

boilingwater-91518809_top.jpg

Here is a shot of 20 or so finished bases for poxwalkers I made a while ago.

w4BFjEs.jpg

You can also get creative using zombie / imperial guard bits and barrels:

P9jFKku.jpg

ccAIWqA.jpg

lNcOWGk.jpg

Some Nurgling Bases using this technique:

EERxazN.jpg

1HLlRtI.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, many things to say:

- Session 25 has begun and will end by March 31st. Password is DYNAMES;

- For this session I will require from you to support the main attack on the Eldar sectors. Either in sector 15 with vehicles or in sector 17 with Infantry.

Now, session 24's results:

CHAOS 9419
IMPERIUM 13729
ELDARS:1598
ORKS:8547

NUMBER OF SECTORS PER FACTION:

CHAOS 21 = 56,8%
IMPERIUM 12 = 32,4%
ELDARS: 1 = 2,7%
ORKS:3 = 8,1%
LIBRES OU CONTESTEES: 0 = 0%

CUMULATED SCORES PER FACTION:

CHAOS 109850 = 46,3%
IMPERIUM 85905 = 36,2%
ELDARS: 15041 = 6,3%
ORKS:26591 = 11,2%

TOTAL SCORES:

CHAOS 51,5% (+1,4%)
IMPERIUM 34,3% (+1,4%)
ELDARS: 4,5% (-5,6%)
ORKS:9,7% (+2,9%)

So now Orks are ahead... That we will not suffer.

Finally, besides my Poxwalkers I managed to complete a "couple" of units:

20190113.jpg

20190121.jpg

20190115.jpg

20190120.jpg

20190123.jpg

20190125.jpg

20190132.jpg

20190134.jpg

20190129.jpg

20190127.jpg

Celtic_Cauldron

Edited by Celtic_cauldron

• 2 weeks later...

I have seven blightlord termintors: 1 plaguespewer, 4 combibolters 1 combi melta 1 combiflamer

1 Lord of Contagion with plaguereaper

1 chaos sorcerer in terminator armor with combibolter and force axe

1 chaos sorcerer with plsma pistol and forceclaw (weapon)

• 2 weeks later...

Brother Excessus, May I recommend that you read back 1 or 2 pages prior to this one?

Eldrick's tutorials are fully described there. I am sure he will be glad to duplicate them in the Forge but in the meantime can you still have a look a them.

Celtic_cauldron