+++The Fate of Gilgamesh+++

Greetings Brother and welcome to Gilgamesh. There's more and more skulls ready for the taking and you will have your share!

Session 32 will last until August 31st and we can pledge units until August 26th included. So, yes, you are more than welcome to join the War Host alongside Eldrick, Dread and myself as representatives of the B&C.

I assume you are familiar with the basic mechanisms of the game but before starting your painting you may be willing to ask a certain number of questions: feel free to do so.

I will deploy you with Eldrick on sector 27. From there you'll be able to support him and our other Brothers in sectors 18 (northward) and 32 (southward).

Really happy to see you among us!

Death to the False Emperor!

Celtic_Cauldron

Could I get a rundown of the story so far, or a link to a post with the story so far? It seems like this is in Episode 5 but the initial post only has a run down to Episode 3?

On another point, do we vow the points of the model we've assembled still, or just identify the unit?

I begin with a vow of a Defiler! Assembled and primed with leadbelcher spray.

50189972341_e72acc01b8.jpg

@Tyrant: The picture is perfect. If you can provide also the points, that would even be better. I need to know the options as well if you do not mind.

Now the story (in very short):

General: The Gilgamesh System was discovered by Mankind during the Dark Ages when an exploration fleet led by the GILGAMESH get out of the Warp close to the first planet in emergency. The fleet was badly damaged and its officers decided to settle down on this newfound world. They used the old GILGAMESH to create a first settlement which they named after the vessel rapidly followed with nine other cities (Nergal, Enkiddu, Megiddo, Lugalbanda, Akkadia, Enmerkar, Hattusha and Ur Lugal). The fleet officers became the first leaders of the world and soon implemented a political & economical system, preserved a minor fleet for intra-system travels. Colonies were developed on Gilgamesh Secundus and Tertius. They also discovered evidence that Mankind was not the first race having lived on this planet with at least two sets of remains from two different civilizations.

During the Great Crusade the Luna Wolves reached Gilgamesh and enacted the Compliance Process (also known as the Reunification). Horus Lupercal managed to achieve this with limited violence and left one of his Human General to rule the system in the name of the Emperor. A small Honour Guard from the Legion was also left with the solemn duty to recruit new warriors for the XVIth. Those warriors left Gilgamesh at the outbreak of the Heresy never to come back and thus was Gilgamesh spared with the horrors of the civil war. The planet was then taken back by the Dark Angels.

From then, Gilgamesh lived a quite normal existence as a dominion of the Emperor until...

Episode 1 (ca. 998. M41): A vast Chaos fleet led by the Vengeful Spirit emerges from the Mandeville Point and reaches the outskirts of the Gilgamesh System. Gilgamesh Secundus is assaulted and conquered by warriors from the World Eaters, Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children and Word Bearers Legions while Gilgamesh Tertius faces an attack by members of the Dark Mechanicum and Legio Mortis. On Gilgamesh Primus, an orbital bombardment destroys the two main positions for orbital defence on the Northern Continent. The first wave is released on Hive Nergal (Night Lords and World Eaters), Hive Enkiddu (Word Bearers) and Hive Gilgamesh (Word Bearers, Emperor's Children, Death Guard, Red Corsairs, Iron Warriors, Thousand Sons and World Eaters). All over the planets, brutal uprisings happen: some are utterly crushed by the local PDF whereas others gain solid footholds. The PDF can enjoy the reinforcements from a full battle-company of the Blood Eagles Space Marine Chapter plus a complement of House Taranis and forces from Ryza. A distress call is then via the Astropathic Choir.

Hive Nergal is cleansed in one month in the name of Khorne. Hive Enkiddu is wiped out after a cotery of Dark Apostles open a channel to the Warp and manage to summon several hosts of Chaos Daemons. In Hive Gilgamesh, the outer perimeter is breached  and the Chaos forces start the invasion. A lot of warriors are killed in the process as the defenders sell dearly their lives or due to inner betrayals. Down in the Underworld, the Death Guard Battalion led by Lord Ratgar starts the conquest of the Sump. An assault on the Mechanicum Precinct triggers a strange phenomenon and soon hordes of Metal Skeletons start fighting with the Loyalist and Rebels alike.

After a couple of weeks, the Red Corsairs manage to reach to upper part of the City even though large areas are still under the domination of Imperial Forces. Yet...

Episode 2: Answering the call issued by Gilgamesh a vast Army Group led by the Unforgiven emerges from the Warp. The Chaos Fleet is pushed back and the Chaos forces are now almost alone on the ground. The Dark Angels, Angels of Vengeance, Consecrators, Angels of Absolution launch a drop pod assault on Hive Gilgamesh soon joined by forces from the Imperial Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus and Knight Households. Rebels are held at bay and start butchering each other as much as fighting their enemies. A new leader from the Night Lords Legion is designated by some of the Warlords to act as Warleader. The newly formed Chaos War Host blocks the Imperial counter-attack and launches a new assault which crushes the Necron forces and most of the Hive itself. Imperial defenders are cornered and prepare for a last stand. Both armies receive important reinforcements.

In the former Noble District, a vast portal which was considered as a relic from an ancient civilization starts pulsing a regular energy. Aeldari from various origins have arrived!

Episode 3: The struggle for Hive Gilgamesh is fierce. Aeldari get a temporary advantage in some sectors of the Hive thanks to their Titans and Wraithknights. Most Necron retreat from the Hive towards a Pyramid which has appeared in the Desert south of the city. Imperial are reinforced by the Blood Angels Chapter. But the War Host is too strong and the resistance seems utterly vain...

Episode 4: Aeldari and Imperial leaders decide to unite their forces against the War Host but their effort will prove useless: the Fall of Hive Gilgamesh is inevitable and the Alliance will finally collapse with each faction finally following its own agenda as Chaos is now spreading all over the planet.

Episode 5: (from this stage the campaign has been played at planetary level) Forces of the Imperium are joined by an Inquisitorial Crusade which includes forces from the Black Templars, Grey Knights, Death Watch, Adepta Sororitas, Adeptus Mechanicus, Titan Legions, Adeptus Custodes, Silent Sisterhood and Astra Militarum. The Imperial forces will try to contain the Chaos War Host whereas the Aeldari regroup around the planetary Portal connecting Gilgamesh to the Webway. Necron are trying to get control over the many deserts surrounding their Necropolis. By the end of the Episode the Necron threat has been destroyed and the local Overlord decides to adopt a new strategy: he will support each and any warring faction to ensure their mutual destruction. Aeldari maintain their positions but their ranks are cruelly depleted. On the Northern Continent as well on the borders of the Western Continent, the Imperium manages to contain Chaos but the latter is triumphant everywhere else as more and more Warbands, Daemon Forces and other bunch of traitors join the War Host.

A new threat finally appears as a Waaaghhhhhh!!!! translates near Gilgamesh Primus and starts falling (literally) on the planet.

Episode 6: Orks are pushing forward and achieve some vital victories by conquering some sectors including two Hives. Chaos is still dominant but the fightings are shifting towards a trench war with little progresses on both sides. Aeldari and Imperial unite with each other once again.

Episode 7: This is the one we are currently playing against Orks and the Alliance (Aeldari+Imperium).

This is a very abridged version of the story which is actually much longer as we have been playing this campaign for more than five years (with no interruption). Chaos won all Episodes from 1 to 5. Orks won Episode 6.

Celtic_Cauldron

@Celtic_cauldron thanks for the rundown! That's awesome that this has been running for so long, this is exciting to be a part of. Are other forums on B&C also linked into this, or is this thread linked to a local group you play with?

The Defiler has a twin heavy flamer and a twin heavy bolter (it looks a little different because the twin heavy flamer is converted a bit, and the twin heavy bolter is a counts as) and with the new 9th edition points values this comes out to 180 points! (120 Defiler + 30 twin heavy flamer + 30 twin heavy bolter).

@Tyrant: it is my pleasure to welcome you among our ranks and I hope it will give you the motivation to clean your backlog. About other forums on the B&C: yes, they can join but the thing is that other factions have tried and failed to grab some attention. I am the only one who has constantly produced over the last three or four years the requested effort to get reinforcement. Being the former Admin for Chaos and still being the Warleader I only care for Chaos but I could welcome potential members from other factions. So feel free to invite some friends of yours even though they play Orks, Imperium, Aeldari or even Necron.

Thanks for the options. I will deploy your Defiler in sector 18 (aka Cedar Woods) to support Eldrick's assault there.

Celtic_Cauldron

Well I did it. I will be welcoming the Bile man to my army! I picked him and his hunchback up today, build tonight along with painting on my pledge. I hadn't planned on getting him but the store had him and I've wanted him since released, so I gritted my teeth and broke a little sweat, being money is tight. Anyhow will be pledging him soon. What's really funny is I went in the store to pick a color for my havocs, didn't make it home with any paint, so...

That is a sign, Brother, sent to you by the Gods. ^^

I cannot count the number of occasions when I entered a store just to get some paint or have a look and finally came out with two or three squads... ^^

Celtic_Cauldron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great defiler, the colour pallete you used for the IW you used makes the model look much better. I'm almost tempted to get a defiler. 

Thanks so much! I'm really unsure about the finished outcome, so that's really encouraging to hear. It was definitely the biggest and most difficult model I think I've tackled. I learned a lot while doing it, but man, it would have been easy to get lost in it. Aiming to make the deadline in my timezone at least was a big motivator.

Great defiler, the colour pallete you used for the IW you used makes the model look much better. I'm almost tempted to get a defiler. 

Thanks so much! I'm really unsure about the finished outcome, so that's really encouraging to hear. It was definitely the biggest and most difficult model I think I've tackled. I learned a lot while doing it, but man, it would have been easy to get lost in it. Aiming to make the deadline in my timezone at least was a big motivator.

I think you kit your stride with this paint style on IW demon engines it really works well here. Just one small suggestion- the blade/ claw edges reaper blades etc, hit them with straight boltgun metal/ stormhost silver on the cutting edge to add some shine, depending how bright you want the edge. Its a simple method that makes IW stuff pop more visually. Are you doing any other demon engines in this style ? 

I think you kit your stride with this paint style on IW demon engines it really works well here. Just one small suggestion- the blade/ claw edges reaper blades etc, hit them with straight boltgun metal/ stormhost silver on the cutting edge to add some shine, depending how bright you want the edge. Its a simple method that makes IW stuff pop more visually. Are you doing any other demon engines in this style ? 

This is the only daemon engine model that I own and I have quite the backlog, so I won't have any others in the immediate future. I'll definitely follow that suggestion though! That'll be a great way to make the blade edges pop.

I do something similar with the Iron Warrior marines and try to use a cleaner boltgun metal/runefang steel highlight on the helm to bring attention to the face. When the rest of the model is dirtied with agrax earthshade, nuln oil, and typhus corrosion, it pulls attention to the face and makes the tourqoise/blue eye lenses I paint pop a bit brighter.

Defiler looks great! The hazard stripes look really good too!

Thanks! I appreciate that :)

Edited by Llagos_Tyrant