[WiP] VII Legion/Imp Fists. For ETL-V Challenge

VIIsml_gallery_9146_7882_78215.jpgVII

Well the ETL is here again (and right on time too) i recently got a B@C boxset for my Birthday(that too came up quicker than expected...)

so I started out thinking i was going to do the box 50/50 iron warriors/imperial fists instead of ultra's/word bearers (a better combo imho)

but i decided that i Wanted to play 30k after i had completed it so thus i decided it would be cheaper to do the whole box as a single army....guess who won the toss tongue.png .

Now Iv'e never painted yellow on an army,just hazard stripes here n there, so i was a little daunted until i did my homework and found many fraters here have already jumped this hurdle...many times (Thanks to Kastor Krieg,slipstreams, tyler mengel-(Mengel Miniatures) & TWG-(The War Gamer) all of which thanks to their work,im not too scared to paint yellow and i probably won't make too many blunders ohmy.png.

First Vow for ETL-V is my Contemptor from the B@C boxset, i chose the Kheres cause it looked cool cool.png no other reason...

first blurry pic-

med_gallery_9146_7882_774014.jpg

RIGHT ARM- Near completion-

med_gallery_9146_7882_572754.jpg

And how it looks on the body and Base...(the Bases are all based(pun) off the battle of Phall, presumably on random Iron warriors ships decking...Hence you will see Hazard striping on every base,as seen below...

med_gallery_9146_7882_366303.jpg

well thats all for now, i hope to have either finished pic's of the Left arm and/or started on the Body by my next update.

Cheers, Mithril

P.S. any C&C/ info on the Markings of the Seventh Legion that may be handy...feel free to comment on biggrin.png

update time -

med_gallery_9146_7882_443995.jpg

Finished the helm (all that work and its mostly covered happy.png ), now i'm onto blocking in the yellow...the hard yards part !!

@Jimbo - thanks for the endorsement tongue.png its nice to hear someone else who paints fists to say your doing it right! when you do a colour for the first time your never sure if its right...well i think it looks right laugh.png

cheers Mithril

well my first test marine was using TWG's method and it worked well over ushabti bone...but i based this guy with GW Zandri dust spray after the light white undercoat and the Cassandora Yellow did not take to it like he said...well not over Zandri dust that is mellow.png so i used the old fashioned Averland sunset x2 light coats then 2x light coats of Yriel yellow THEN i did a Cassandora wash over that...and then weathering and ta-dah!... see the assault cannon

cheers Mithril

@nightmare 84- ushabti bone works with the TWG method, not zandri dust tongue.png

@LoJ- yeah everyone else does the helm that way...plus who but a veteran would go in a Contemptor?.

the Averland is a real good base layer im discovering biggrin.png

small update -

nearly finished weathering the Powerfist (only) of his left arm,this sponge weathering is a little hap hazard but in a good way,still, by the time i get to the troops i should have it down pat msn-wink.gif

med_gallery_9146_7882_975905.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_419326.jpg

hopefully I should have the left arm done by next update (fingers crossed)

Cheers, Mithril

oops, double postblush.png but update time...

Both arms are done,chest piece pretty much done except for some script on the scroll work.

Working on the gold's and yellow on the legs next.. any idea's on what epic battles the IF's fought at before Phall ?? might put some battle names on the scroll work??

med_gallery_9146_7882_808462.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_73916.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_507203.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_1084043.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Its kind of fun watching him get weathered 1 section at a time. ;)... Looks great man. Can you talk me through your weathering?? The back of the right leg is especially awesome looking for me- You going to grease the joints up and if so what is your preferred method? 

• 2 months later...

Tiny update time - just some WiP of my cataphractii, better get a move on, ETL ends in a short time ohmy.png

The squad in randomness

med_gallery_9146_7882_1344925.jpg

This is where i gouged out the inside of the neck to fit a proper head for the Sarge... thoughts? does it look right ? unsure.png

med_gallery_9146_7882_364542.jpgmed_gallery_9146_7882_55272.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Archived