The Emperor's Lament [DH] Chapter I: Shattered Hope

Dosjetka

After what could only be sixty seconds, Nicodemus uncrosses his arms and looks across at Orlean.

"Only one."

They stare at each other for a short moment neither betraying any sort of emotion. The First Captain turns towards Caral.

"You bring honour to yourself by displaying such initiative, Caral of Malai. You have clearly displayed more courage than five other grown men, including the one we shall name ekadaros."

He lets the words sink in before turning to face Grim Wollsey.

"I was hoping you would speak up and for a brief moment I believed you would. I do not recommend that you disappoint me like that again, ekadaros. If it were only up to me, I dare say someone else would have been chosen in your stead."

The soldier suddenly looks up, his gaze directed at the shadows behind you. His jaw tightens, his breathing increases rapidly and an expression of pain spreads across his face. Orlean says nothing but you can clearly make out deep concern in her eyes.

After half a minute of dead silence, his features relax. Breathing slowly and deeply, he smiles briefly at the Lady before returning his attention to Grim.

"However we cannot afford such luxury. Circumstances dictate that you are, theoretically, the most capable member of this group in matters of leadership, something which I think you have realised yourself. Isn't that so?"

He looks at Wollsey straight in the eye, his gaze unwavering, clearly expecting an answer.

Olis:

Hidden Content

Boolean [iNT 37 (no modifiers)] vs Armour
Dice roll (1d100): [17]

You identify the armour worn by Lady Orlean as being "mesh armour". Such armour is of alien design and sometimes manufacture, though you are fairly certain it is not the case for this particular set. The material used is known as thermoplas; thousands of individual pieces are interwoven to produce a dense but lightweight fabric resembling scales of a reptilian or chainmail. It becomes momentarily rigid when hit, spreading force across a larger area, thereby reducing the damage. The thermoplas also disperses heat rapidly, giving reasonable protection against energy weapons. The material is psychically sensitive, automatically reacting to the wearer's movements and thoughts to maintain a glove-tight fit as they move and fight.

While very uncommon due to its links with Xenos, this type of armour can typically be sourced in places like Port Wrath and other orbital trading hubs across the sector.

Courage? Boolean thought. He did not concur that this was a test of courage. Initiative would be more accurate... and yet still incorrect. As far as the Tech-Priest was concerned, it was all to see who was bold and who was not. Who would act rather than think. The possibility that the First Captain's statements were designed to evoke an emotional response registered in the high percentiles, thusly Boolean pretty much ignored everything he said. The Tech-Priest knew this to be churlish, yet he reasoned that he did not need the extraneous information. In the time that the First Captain spoke, Boolean catalogued the Lady's weapons and armour for future reference.

He did, however, notice the man go rigid. Amongst other options, Boolean calculated that this perhaps may have been a medical condition. What exactly the condition was he knew of several possible candidates but an accurate assessment eluded him. He was no genetor. Theoretically, it could have been a seizure. He would need to confer with Brother Ionside to compare their analyses.

Caral smiled, slightly, clearly taking no offence. Indeed, she nodded at the woman's faint praise, quickly stifling an embarrassing rumbling in the back of her throat.

She too looked to Woolsey to see how the hiveworlder would react to being appointed so, given his earlier struggle to avoid speaking out.

"That is so. My silence may disappoint, but never my actions."

There were other things he could have said, like that being bold is not the same as courage. But that would have been foolish, and unprofessional. If he had disappointed the First Captain, then he had disappointed him. He will prove it to have been a fluke.

Small post for my break, to keep things moving. To the other players, don't worry about me taking over as leader. I will be a kind god. I only require my followers to kneel.

The assassin watched as events unfolded in a most unexpected way. The feral woman made him feel uncomfortable, made the aquila tattoo across his shoulderblades itch. Weren't the eyes the window to the soul? Her deviations marked her out as a corrupting influence, and one he would prefer to stay away from. A blessing, then, that the mentors in their wisdom had not chosen her to lead.

But the hive-scum? The assassin forced himself to reappraise their new leader. Clearly the Inquisition valued deception and trickery. The Rake had emphasised the importance of blending with cover, of distracting opponents before striking from an unexpected angle. After all, disguising themselves and working within the pilgrim faithful was a tactic that some bombasts would decry as dishonourable and cowardly. Perhaps they were not unalike.

The Talon's jaw clenched. It had been determined by his Mentors that he would learn from these strangers, and learn he would. 

What, then, was to be their next step along this uncertain road? 

It would seem that logic had indeed won the day. A pleasing thought to Luther. The mutant missionary had been plucky indeed. Courageous maybe, but most likely cracking under the pressure Luther assumed.

He was wary of the hive-scum and did wonder what such a low level member of humanity could possibly offer such a varied group, the Ordos had spoken and in their infinite wisdom shone the light of leadership and title of ekadaros onto Grim Wollsey.

Luther was keen to see how he performed and was ready to collect any and all data available to further the mission. He turned to grim and simply nodded, his vox operators in his rebreather letting out a small burst of sound:

"Ekadaros."

Boolean followed Luther in acknowledging their new leader. He turned to the lock-breaker and made the blessed sign of the Cog.

"Ekadaros."

Much like Conn, I'm only posting to keep things moving. Apologies for the small post.

Krell simply stood there, dumbfounded. Of all of them, each with their myriad of talents, the one with the relaxed view of Imperial Law had been chosen. He could simply not fathom for what reason they had chosen him. Did they not understand that the Lex Imperialis was what held the Imperium together, and that without its rigid and uncompromising laws, it would fall into utter chaos? There was no room for 'relaxed views'. Nevertheless, he nodded, showing his acquiescence to their decision, knowing that they would have a reason for choosing him, and to protest would achieve nothing. He would follow Grim Wollsey as Ekadaros, but when he slipped up, Dariel Krell would be waiting for him, and his newfound status would not be enough to deliver him from justice.

Nicodemus makes a short, curt nod. He then turns on the spot and heads for the way out, beckoning for all to follow him. As you all shuffle out, Orlean is the last to exit the room.

You make your way down long, metal corridors. The floor-level lights brighten almost imperceptibly as your group approaches and dim as you move past them. You come across no other soul while you meander through this barely-lit, man-made maze. Any attempts to memorise the path taken fail as you go around a seemingly endless amount of sharp bends and up and down various flights of dull metal staircases. After a good quarter of an hour of walking, you suddenly emerge into a brightly lit open space. The strong smell of engine oil assails your nostrils while your ears pick up the sounds of metal craping metal, working machinery, and loud bursts of static noise.

+] Olis and Charlo: Your characters recognise this as being a basic form Lingua Technis mostly consisting of orders for operating various pieces of machinery coming from the overseers and the curt replies of the lobotomised tech-thralls. [+

As you observe your new surroundings, you notice that the area is rather empty with only a few small groups of figures going about their business paying you no attention. Three dark grey ships lay at rest in the hangar bay though you estimate that another two could easily fit in the remaining space while still leaving enough room for the tech-thralls and their crimson-clad overseers to perform their vital maintenance duties. The gunmetal floor shows signs of frequent and frenetic use, with its extensive oil stains, occasional gouges, and wear marks covering hazard stripes and indecipherable stenciled sigils. Dirty brass pipes and clusters of cables criss-cross over the gunmetal walls with the exception of the blast doors that open up to the cold void which are instead numbered in Low Gothic numerals. The ceiling above you sits around ten metres high dotted with powerful flood lights. A complex system of interconnecting metal bars that stretch from one end of the bay to the other and bundles of thick cables reveals itself to be an arrangement of cranes for (off-)loading heavy cargo and moving it around the bay. Sealed shipping containers sit on the far right of the room with a cluster of figures around them, dwarfed by the sheer size of the metal boxes painted in dull ochre with a curious symbol stenciled on their flanks in black.

The First Captain stops a few metres into the hangar bay and turns to face you all while Orlean remains between you and the now-dark corridor. He raises his voice to make himself clearly understood over the noise.

"Acolytes, this is Hangar Bay Omega-76. Over the coming months, assuming that you overcome the challenges ahead, you will grow to know this place quite well. It will be your main way in and out of this station."

While the captain talks, a figure approaches your group though respectfully remains a metre behind Nicodemus. The man stands a good metre shorter than the officer with a large, partially-toothed grin spread across his waxen, oil-stained face. His craggy features reveal his old age more than the metal braces that keep his short legs together. A large puckered scar stretches from the left side of his head down to just below his eye. A few wisps of white hair cover the top of his cranium while thick cables run from the base of his skull down into the collar of his rough fabric shirt.

"And this-" Nicodemus gestures to the short man. "-is the bay master, Zekk Pontius. His authority here is absolute. No exceptions."

"You are too kind, Roth."

Zekk chuckles and winks at the First Captain before turning to address your group.

"I welcome thee to my humble abode, oh Acolytes of the Holy Inqusition."

He finishes his sentence with a deep bow. Nicodemus clears his throat loudly, making the bay master turn and look up at the officer.

"Ah, yes. My apologies, First Captain."

Pontius rubs his stained hands together and flashes a rather sheepish grin.

"As I was saying, welcome to Omega-76. My name is indeed Zekk Pontius but you may call me 'Blaze'. It's what most people call me since I was a wee lad. Why is a story for another time over a glass of amasec."

He chuckles again.

"I can provide you with whatever ships you need; small craft to get to one of the ships moored out there in the 'Cold Dip' or something bigger to travel out of this system. The smaller craft can be organised at a moment's notice but if you want a ship that can move out of the Port Wrath area, I need you to give me at least six hours notice. Organising tranposrt is a stupidly complex matter around here and no amount of waving an Inquisitorial Rosette will change that."

"Now getting to Omega-76 isn't too easy and that's intentional. You'll learn in time how to get all the way here. Well, the one's who come back will..."

The bay master falls silent, any trace of humour having disappeared from his features. After a few moments during which all you can hear is the continuing noise of machinerey and static burst, the short man turns away from you to face Nicodemus.

"That is all, First Captain."

"You have my thanks, Ponitus. If you wish to stay, you are free to do so."

"Thank you but I have business to attend to. Need to make sure the tin-heads don't mess up the craft that you'll be taking out to the Asperon."

A short bow later, he heads off towards the middle ship and quickly disappears from view behind its large bulk.

"With that out of the way, we can finally move on to giving you details about your first assignment."

He walks off to the right, heading for a recessed door that you had failed to notice until now. '200' is stenciled in white on the door and it opens automatically as the First Captain approaches. You move to follow him into the room beyond.

The space here is dimly lit and quieter than the hangar bay. The left wall is covered by a row of tall, numbered lockers while the right wall is covered with various sheets of printed paper under which a sheet a metre deep protrudes from the wall. On this low table you notice various dataslates, more charts, battered books and stacks of yellowing paper spread across the surface. The far wall is covered with three sealed weapon racks. Various firearms are contained under the plexiglass but the low light makes it difficult to make out exactly what they are. In the centre stands an empty, rectangular table. Nicodemus beckons for you to stand around the table.

He seems to hesitate before giving you the rundown of the situation on Sepheris Secundus. His tone of voice seems to indicate that you aren't the ideal candidates for this mission.

"There was a recent uprising that necessitated force to put down in the Gorgonid Mines, one of the main mining complexes on Sepheris Secundus. A company of off-world Imperial Guard was sent to rectify the situation and silence the mobs. Once the worst of the fighting was over, they secured the area around the mine and sent a detachment to go down into the Gorgonid where the fighting was the heaviest. The reports are murky, since a number of squads have disappeared in the darkness, but suffice to say that the Commissar has sealed shut the mine and quarantined the whole region. Under ordinary circumstances, the Inquisition would have looked into this matter at its own pace, but the damage to the world's economy by extension the entire sector's economy could prove to be too severe if the problem is left unattended. Hence we are sending your group. This is... irregular since you are, in the eyes of the Inquisition, fresh recruits but you are at this time the only Cell available and it was a small matter to organise your assignment to this mission."

"This is unfortunately all the information that we have at the moment so the first thing you will do once planet-side is gather information to better analyse the situation. After that the ekadaros is free to decide what your next course of action is. Whatever happens, the situation in the Gorgonid Mines must not be allowed to escalate further. Deal with this quickly and cleanly. No hiccups. Once your mission is completed, you will make your way back to Port Wrath where we shall hold a debrief."

Nicodemus stands straight and looks at the group.

"Cell Prasinon, is the mission clear to all? If not, now is the only time you will have to ask questions."

Having followed Nicodemus through the Hangar Bay, the assasin takes the time to observe carefully, taking in every detail he can of his surroundings, the First Captain, Orlean and the rather unusual Zekk Pontius. They seemed to have scant regard or respect for the Cell Members. The veiled comments about the likelihood of their death were clear enough.  

As they enter the briefing room, the Talon stands around the table with his Cell-mates. He knew little of Sepheris Secundus, of the Mine workings or the situation of the world.  He determined to ascertain what they could before they arrived. 

He said nothing; it was not his place, and he would wait to see what their newly-selected leader would make of this situation. 

Luther kept a good pace while following the 1st Captain, situated in the middle of the group, somewhat holding their speed together with his mechanically enhanced body. The seemingly endless corridors would be an unnerving environment to some, but not Brother Ionsight - the cold steel and dim light was akin to the forges that he had spent his life in, so admittedly he felt quite secure in this location, but he would feel even moreso at thier destination...

Luther stepped into the room with the others, the radiant workshop lights causing his visor to dim and adjust. After the couple of seconds it was more than apparent this was a space port of sorts, lots of maintenance and machine work taking place. His audio receptors filled with the low hum of Lingua Technis of all kinds: the short grunt of the servitor all the way up to the flowing yet binary methodological machine cant being chanted to the fellow crimson-clad servants of the Omnissiah. This was pleasing to Luther, but he made sure not to get complacent. Before Nicodemus began to explain their location he listened out for any.... Unusual talk amongst the machien chatter. An agent of the Prefecture Magisterium can never be too vigilant.

+] Roll perception to see if I hear anything suspicious or of note among the hum of Lingua Technis [+

It was now Nicodemus began to speak and in turn introduce his colleague and seemingly friend: Ponitus. Then Pontius spoke, a stark contrast to the captain. The logic of these two being comrades amused Luther, even he was human enough to spot their obvious differences.

Nicodemus then explained the mission and Luther listened intently, his cogitator-infused cerebrum processing all he said. He had just one question:

"Captain - Are there any previous reports of this sort of activity on Sepheris Secundus?"

Perhaps this uprising had not been the first, or at least not the first act of suspicious behavior.

Boolean marvelled at the details as he walked the corridors, one of the last to emerge into the hangar. A skull-embossed bolt here, a grate with markings from the Lathe worlds there. The patterns on multiple sections of the flooring were of new import to the Tech-Priest, and so he catalogued those too. The purr of a blessed machine on the other side of a wall? Thirty-six Hertz of holy susurration. Accursed rust creeping along a ventilation pipe? Approximately forty-seven months since the last application of required sacred unguents and oils.

So engrossed as he was with the minutiae of the journey that it was a moment before he registered that the cell had changed locale from cramped corridors to a spacious hangar. He listened intently to the overseers before the First Captain began to talk, gratified to be hearing others using the Omnissiah-given gift to mankind.

Boolean tests against his Perception to pick up any meaningful snippets from the Overseers use of Lingua Technis

After the introduction of Master Pontius and the outline of the first mission for the group, the floor was opened to questions. Boolean did contemplate politely asking for a maintenance team to attend to that rusty pipe from earlier but then he thought better of it. Other queries swam to the fore:

"First Captain, what can we expect in the way of support - local or otherwise - should there be any... unexpected consequences? Furthermore, any archived information on the mine itself would be appreciated. History, physical dimensions, operational environment and known workforce may be useful to us, among other details."

As Grim listened to the First Captain explain the situation, his demeanor changed. He considered the details provided and true to form and experience, he considered them as if his own "beloved" grand-aunt had given him the mission. Rule one when entering a hostile environment was to cover the client at all times, and if able, provide a more visible double. Uniquely to Grim, there would be no client to protect, which presented both additional freedoms and obstacles in equal measure. The second rule is to isolate potential unknown variables, and prepare for them. The information already provided was minimal, but spoke volumes nonetheless. Uprising among the worker class of an isolated mining world meant poorly equipped and trained hostiles, advantage to Cell Prasinon. It also meant the hostiles would possess specialized knowledge related to the mines, up to and including familiarity with its layout and dangers. Advantage rebels. The hostiles had successfully fought and held off against a company of the God-Emperor's mortal army, which suggested a patron. Identity unknown, intent unknown. Likely, it was this unknown patron that had gained the Inquisition's interest, which meant this murky supposition hid terrible danger. Advantage, very much not to Cell Prasinon.

Olis has already said to the effect of what I would have had Grim say, so the following belongs after Dos's responses to everyone else. Posting it now just to save on time, and to replace what I've excised as redundant. But if something's said that I should specifically respond to, I will.

Some of the others speak while Grim pondered, asking insightful if unnecessarily specific questions of the First Captain, and he considered the responses provided. Taking a client through a dangerous region meant either an inability to circumnavigate it, or that the client specifically intended to enter. The former did not necessarily apply, but the latter did in a sense, which meant the barebones of a game plan could be built. Land, then gather intel. Basic troops often had a wealth of firsthand experience, and less of an officers' reluctance to share to an outsider. That said, the officer-in-command would be expecting the Cell. ...Krell would fit, Grim thinks, resolving to have the enforcer seek out the officer while he mingles with the men. Caral, perhaps, could also be of use there. Excellent cognitive capabilities, and her presence and abnormalities may be seen more as a novelty that intrigues rather than a source of suspicion such as would likely occur with the Talon and the Techpriests. The intel will provide the target and its nature, at this time unknown but likely the assumed patron. Grim recalled the words of Uncle Braniven, years ago when he had first ventured into the Varner Steeps. Hold your fire, boy, and eyes ahead. We're here to pass through the Steeps, not fight every Rookman we think we see. The Imperial Guard was there to suppress the uprising. Cell Prasinon was there to deal with this enemy patron. Locate the target, deal with the target, and then leave the mines. Get in and get out. Simple as, or as close to it as any mission ever can be.

Grim knew it would be far from easy, but he also knew carefully laid plans are the quickest unraveled. Plan simply, and prepare for the details as you can. The First Captain had stopped speaking, and was looking at him. Grim met the gaze steadily, then a slight nod in acknowledgement.

"Understood, First Captain. Cell Prasinon is ready for departure."

Once again, last part is for after, to wrap up the mission debrief. I provided a hint of how Grim might fulfill the role of ekadaros once we land, to give you all an idea. Please feel free to talk in the OOC thread if there's something you want the ekadaros to order, and I'll work it in. An example I suppose being if either Techpriests notice something only one of them could do, but think it would be out of character to simply offer up the intended action, mention it in the OOC thread. As long as I agree that Grim might also notice and think of them, I'll write the ekadaros giving the order. Like they wouldn't just hotwire that loftspeeder over there, because there's the machine-spirits to consider. But if the ekadaros tells them to, or asks if they can . . .

+] There is nothing out of the ordinary to detect in the mundane chatter between overseers and tech-thralls. [+

"The intel I have access tells me that Arbites presence on Sepheris Secundus is restricted to a small force stationed in the capital, not far from the Queen Lachryma's palace. I sincerely doubt that you will have the time or the means to garner their support, Arbitrator; the Gorgonid Mines are rather cut off from Icenholm despite their relative proximity."

Nicodemus faces Luther and observes him with a stern stare.

"It's First Captain to you, Techpriest. And if you mean previous records of uprisings among the population of Sepheris, yes. Plenty even. It is oft referred to as the "Suffering Kingdom" and not without reason. The misery in which the vast majority of the planet's population lives is an appalling necessity and uprisings are alarmingly common. The forces already present on Sepheris are usually vigilant enough to swiftly remove any threat but there have been a number of dangerous exceptions."

"The most recent case goes back a few years. The Inquisition uncovered a Chaos cult, largely consisting of disenfranchised serfs who work in the mines. The cult offered escape from the hard labour and promised to free those who felt enslaved to the demands of the Imperial Tithe. And escape they found though not in the way they expected. When word of this cult reached the Ordos, the response was swift and brutal. The cultists were exposed, put to the sword, and their blasphemous text consigned to purifying fires. In the eyes of the Calixian Conclave, it was a job done and as a result the Inquisition shifted their attention towards other matters."

"I can't say for sure because of the lack of intel but it seems like the taint ran deeper than expected, which is an worrying prospect to say the least."

He lets the words sink in for a few moments and turns at the sound of Grim speaking up.

"Ready, ekadaros? I think not. For one, one of your Martian Scions-" he points almost accusingly at Ionsight "-currently has severely limited combat capabilities. I doubt that it is wise to walk into a hell-hole such as the one you'll be visiting without being ready to defend your lives in an adequate way. He is indeed a half-wit for not raising the issue himself but you are the ekadaros and must ensure that your Cell is ready before arrogantly declaring that you are ready."

His voice takes on an icy edge.

"Consider your next words and actions carefully, ekadaros. The price for failure is death. No exceptions."

+] Not your fault, Conn, but Charlo's character isn't properly equipped for combat and it was an issue that was raised during our PM exchanges. I was expecting him to raise the issue now. Which is kind of why I mentioned the weapon lockers at the back of the room and that this would be the last chance to ask questions/get ready for the mission. But since you're ekadaros, Nicodemus believes that you should have known or at least made sure that you were all ready for the assignment so it's "your" fault. [+

rolleyes.gif I did say it was meant for the end. Grim's not rushing the meeting to a close, it's Conn trying to save himself some time. :lol: I can edit my previous post if you'd like.

"If I may be so bold, Ekadaros Wollsey, I suggest we enquire about those weapons lockers before we leave. We will find additional arms to be of use, should the mines prove to hold dangers worth killing." Boolean spoke as he moved to skim-read the dataslates and parchments at the side of the room.

Hopefully Boolean's comment will be appropriate either way. Boolean will also be making a Perception test, if necessary, to glean any additional information from the texts provided. 

Talon glances at the weapons locker, filled with various firearms. Such weapons had always struck him as inelegant and obtrusive, contrary to the teachings of the Rake. He had his blade, honed to a monomolecular keenness; the daggered vambrace at his wrist that enabled him to strike without warning; the various balanced throwing knives and his crossbow-pistol. He was trained to strike from an unexpected quarter, to fight without warning and without mercy. It was not for him to tote the heavy artillery of the Imperial Guard. 

His masters had taught that he was a blade to be held against the throat of the Imperium's enemies. And yet, it would fall to their leader to use him wisely. A blade blunted would be of little use at all. 

Grim silently cursed himself for the sudden lapse in sense. It was all fine and well to plan a mission as if he were still a Hivebound security specialist, but he wasn't anymore, and Grim's hesitation in letting this go was already and quite clearly working against him. He was not surrounded by family, none of them had already been armed by the Havelock armories. His new superiors did not apparently take their supply as a matter of course. There were details Grim was missing, and it was clear the First Captain was vastly underwhelmed by him thus far.

"Yes, First Captain, Tech-priest. You are both correct. If we have access to this equipment, then our more under-equipped members should arm themselves. If I may, First Captain?"

The last was said as Grim angled himself as if to walk toward the lockers, though his eyes remained on the First Captain to provide permission.

If permission is given, assume Grim does approach the lockers to take stock of their containers.

Boolean:

You approach the document-covered table to the side of the room. Picking up the nearest dataslate, you thumb the activation rune on the side, brining the 'slate to life with a low hum. The dark screen has green tinge to it, the protective casing is made up of hard plastic that is worn and scratched in many places. As green text starts sprouting its way across the screen, a tap on your shoulder makes you turn. You find yourself face-to-face with Orlean, leaning forwards to have her amber eyes level with your own. She gazes at you, not saying a word for what seems like minutes.

"Knowledge is power, as you well know, Tech-priest. Knowledge that falls into the wrong hands can have disastrous consequences."

She removes the dataslate from your hands, turns it off, and puts it back down where you found it.

+] Now it's up to get yourself out of this little situation and perhaps explain why you were snooping through the dataslate. [+

Grim & co:

"Permission granted, ekadaros. One piece of equipment or weapon per Cell-member may be removed from this room. You shall have to find a way to source extra ammunition yourselves."

As Grim moves towards the lockers at the back of the room, the First Captain stops him with a firm grip to the shoulder. Nicodemus then moves towards the lockers, unlocks them, and removes a number of firearms which he lays out on the central table. You count three las and five solid projectile pistols, each of them a different variant and all carefully maintained.
All of the laspistols have matte black casings. One has a slightly elongated barrel and a smaller, non-standard power cell slot, the second is a big, ugly thing with a barrel about two inches shorter than standard, while the last has no obvious particularities.
In stark contrast with the somewhat uniform and easily recognisable design of the laspistols, the solid projectile pistols' appearance varies wildly from weapon to weapon. The first is a rather unremarkable though old-looking auto pistol with a crimson casing and a clenched fist holding a pair of scales stamped on the side (Krell immediately recognises the symbol as being that of the Adeptus Arbites). The second is a massive thing with a huge barrel that looks like it takes two sturdy hands to use and can only fire a single slug at a time. The third is a dull green, intimidating-looking auto pistol with quite a bulk though nowhere as big as the previous handgun. The fourth is an encarmine-coloured compact auto pistol with a larger-than-standard magazine protruding from its grip, while the fifth pistol is an autopistol with a utilitarian design and ochre casing.

+] Information about the pistols can be acquired by asking the First Captain or by asking for an INT test. [+

He then turns to the lockers to the left of the room, opens number 'XII', and removes a rectangular metal box from it. You hear a loud screech as the box rubs against the side of the locker door. The contents of the case is placed on the table just below the row of pistols. You see three gunmetal wrist chronos, six small plastic boxes with "FIGS" printed in bold lettering on the top, a pair of goggles with an activation rune on the side, ten thin plastic packets of whatever 'CR' stands for bound together with tape, a small hand-held device with various nubs and a screen, and a pair of dark grey magnoculars.

+] Again, information about what these things are can be gained by asking Nicodemus or by going for an INT test. [+

+] Krell recognises 'CR' as standing for 'corpse starch', which is essentially a nutritional ration made up of, well, starch that is extracted from corpses. [+

Boolean looked into Lady Orlean's eyes, noting certain details - dilation, pigmentation of the irises, the exact distance between each eye - and cursed himself for still having his human emotions. She genuinely was intimidating. 

"I see that I have made an error in my understanding, m'lady. I had assumed these items were a part of the briefing, seeing as they were here. I believed that just leaving sensitive data lying around was not something the Inquisition does by mistake, and therefore these materials are here for a reason. You shall find no excuses for my action, only logic. By your leave, I will take my place with the group." 

Talon couldn't see a particular reason why the Cell members couldn't take multiple items, which rather suggested that it was another test - an opportunity for their 'mentors' to see what they valued, what they would choose when pressed to make a decision. He had no desire to take a firearm, and yet considered the possibility of taking one to give to his fellows after they left. 

He would not be the first to openly scour the objects, but once someone else has examined them, he will examine them. 

INT tests to examine the items (not the weapons). This will be only visual unless someone else touches them first. 

Caral listened, and processed. A chaos cult... not a misguided and ignorance remnant of Old Night, or a lost and wandering way, but an inimical force that wanted nothing but the destruction and eradication of justice and the Imperial creed.

While she may have been intimidated by the Arbitrator's mien and knowledge of The Law, but in their purpose and will the two Imperial servants were well matched.

That didn't mean she was either going to back down from him or let him make a fool of himself though. She put her hand on his arm, lightly, as he challenged their superiors. "It probably belonged to a previous Arbite seconded to their service who died in the line of duty." She pointed out, her voice as soft as the pressure on his arm... with the implication that both could be greater. Small Caral may have been, but frail she was most certainly not.

Archived