= [ Shamelessly nabbing format from Dosjetka! Thanks mate! :v ] =
=][= Situation nominal, all fethed up =][=
+] An Only War Campaign -- OOC Thread [+
- Kastor Krieg
- ACTIVE + | RECRUITMENT ON STANDBY, will take 2-3 more candidates on the waiting list, will review 1st weekend of June | +
The Game Master reserves the right to pick and choose players, based on provided character ideas (send me a PM!), number of witches burned at the stake by the player, Emperor's Own Tarot, whim of the laughing gods (bad heretic, bad! no biscuit!), etc.
- Story thread (do not post if not player or GM):
- Datafile library (do not post if not GM):
- Out-of-character thread (open to all, even non-players): this thread (duh!)
- Google Drive folder (for GM and players only):
- Character folio for download: link
- Characteristic benchmark:
Welcome one and all.
My name is Kastor Krieg and for the duration of this exercise, by the authority of Him On The Golden Throne, I am your Commissar-General. You will follow my words like Emperor's own and I will lead you to a glorious death for the Throneworld. You could not ask for more and the Commissariat wills it so.
You will learn the Commisariat-trained timbre of my voice and recognize it thus. It will bear my judgement and sentence you to everything He has in store for you. My narrative voice sounds like this, in turn. It will be your eyes and ears, your smell and touch. It will guide you away from corruption and towards His Light.
I will repeat my previous explanations, to avoid any misunderstandings.
- The Commissar is always right.
- Dissent is grounds for summary execution.
- If the Commissar is not right, see #2.
- The Commissar is willing to hear the troops' heart and soul through appropriate Chain of Command channels (PM, OOC thread).
- Malingering is grounds for summary execution.
- Intimate knowledge of the contents Imperial Infantryman's Primer is mandatory.
- Loss of the Primer is grounds for summary execution unless Primer is committed to memory in full. Copies will not be replaced.
As far as the game itself is concerned, there will be little to no crunch. I expect full characters made, but at the same I will require a lot of narrative input and handwavium will be used sparingly (by the Commissar, of course).
I will want characters with full mechanics made by the players, for themselves. HOWEVER, I do not subscribe to the game mastering style which uses all the rules, all the time. The style will be closer to narrative, game system used sparingly and in conflicts of greater import. Number crunching, especially in a system I am not 100% familiar with, has zero appeal for me.
If by minmaxing you mean "optimizing the character fully towards a particular aspect of combat / game world interaction, while neglecting other aspects almost completely", then no, that is actually something I would explicitly discourage. I will want well-rounded characters capable of handling themselves in multiple situations, in multiple ways. More Jack of All Trades than Master of One (minmax).
Your character can be good or even great at something and I will support this in-game, by giving you chances to shine, but I will also challenge your character where it is weak. If your character is a two-dimensional flat archetype that just has this one minmaxed thing they are good at (or three), they will be boring to play with (everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer).
By popular request, we will be playing in "hardcore squad mode", which means people WILL die. However, I will not kill characters "for shock value". I will however exploit all perceived tactical and game-system failures or mistakes of the players, using all I can against them. Your enemy wants to win more than you do.
So what do you need to do to start playing?
- Have and have read the Only War Rulebook.
- Have and have read the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.
- No seriously, there will be quizzes. Bonus points for the Damocles Gulf Crusade edition!
- Design YOUR OWN REGIMENT [ the Traitor, Iconoclasts traits are not allowed ]
- Create a FULL SQUAD of Guardsmen (and/or -women) from said Regiment. All the known-and-named Regiments are NPCs, background flavour.
- All regiment and squaddie ideas / game system choices are subject to summary execution by Commisar veto. Some might've picked up that I have a penchant for the grimdark. This won't be your Ciaphas Cain story.
- More instructions to follow, have at it!
Edited by Kastor Krieg, 25 May 2016 - 03:20 PM.