To Recover the Past... [OW/DW] OOC Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Post is up, Hope I did it correctly.

Question: Could someone breakdown rolling for damage please. Cant wrap my head around it yet.

Same! I really had no idea what to do, so I delayed until I could see what getting shot up did to the plant.  

For combat you tend to do the following

Roll to hit

-roll 1d100 (if you are using real dice normally you roll 2d10, one for the 10's digit and one for the 1's digit)

-if you roll below your stat+/- bonuses you hit, stacking bonuses is key

Deal damage

-figure out what damage and special rules your weapon has

-roll appropriate number of d10 or d5

-add modifiers (could be from weapon, weapon quality, strength for melee, bonuses from talents)

-if a dice roll is a 10, that attack might be a "righteous fury" (aka crit in other games) usually you have to confirm righteous fury by making another roll against the same bonuses you had for your original attack.  Deathwatch auto confirm against xenos.  roll extra damage dice per 10 you rolled, if you keep rolling 10s, keep pilling on the damage.

-note what penetration your weapon has, penetration can only remove armour, not toughness reduction or wounds

If anything is confusing about what I said let me know.

I think I understand skill tests. The confusion behind rolling for damage is probably just indicative of my inexperience with p&p rpgs in general.

The blackshield will just have to lurk in the shadows till his handler learns how to use him...

I think the confusion comes from our Stalker Bolters, they have the attribute Accurate which gives us a +1d10 for every 2 DOS to a maximum of 2d10.

Additionally it has Tearing which makes us roll an additional 1d10 and discard the lowest result. (2d10, discard the lower)

I can't remember if we rolled a "10", but if we do then it's Righteous Fury, that means you make the same attack roll (if it was 65 to hit, roll again and if you get under 65 you "hit" with Righteous Fury), if you "hit" you get to roll for dmg again, if you roll a 10 then repeat until you don't roll a 10. 

Even I was confused by Slipstreams' rolls till I looked deep into them :D

Accurate and tearing at the same time gets a bit confusing. No matter how many dice you roll tearing adds an extra one and you drop the lowest roll.

So lets say for arguments sake that you shot your stalker and hit with 2 degrees of success, you roll 1d10 for the base damage+ 1d10 for tearing + 1d10 for accurate. You add the best 2 of those 3 together then add the base damage for a stalker boltgun.

Ya, a big part of it is not only knowing what youre carrying but also what it can do. That's where I'm lacking at the moment.

Having fun though!

check out the rulebook section at the beginning of the "weapons" chapter, they go over all the special rules. If you don't have a copy, like me, and live in China were IP copyright laws allow you to download books, like me, you can go to the pirate bay where they have a copy ;)

Then on the errata with all the weapon stats is here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/deathwatch/news/faq/Deathwatch%20Living%20Errata%20v1-1.pdf

Hello all, a little update, and I hope, some time this week, a post on my part, to keep things going at this time.

I am starting two classes at a college in my area, and both involve computers and technology; that said, I cannot take time out during classes to make a post.

As far as posting in the future goes, things will occur, however, I have no current ability to predict the when of said posts.

I expect things will be interesting going forward, to say the least...

I also understand that the thread is pretty interesting overall; I may not be that creative at times, as anyone that thinks a great deal will notice, sometimes the mind just needs a break every now and then. So, I cannot declare that all future posts will be fun and interesting, although I hope that they will be.

So, here's the current plan, changeable as always:

- I will endeavor to make at least one post a week, and notify of the state of the game at or around that time

- I will do my best to provide as much notice as to whether or not a post will go up, "on time and on date," and that is likely to be weekends, looking forward.

- As far as the current situation goes, I will make sure to get out a post as ASAP; after that, please follow the above schedule plan at this time.

Thoughts, feedback, etc.?

Well, I'm of two minds... One post per week is pretty slow even for PBP standards, and I fear we may lose people's interest; but, I am really enjoying this experience and don't want it to fade away. For my part, I will endeavor to always post as promptly as possible to help keep things moving forward.

If once a week is all you can manage I can probably live with it. We've got a pretty nice cast of peeps and I wouldn't want them to retire before seeing real action!

If its all you can manage, I'll deal with it and if you can do more, then thats a nice bonus. 

We sure are!

TBH if the plants are sensitive to sound, I say we just turn on our Stummers (if everyone took one) and book it to not waste time on plants.

Otherwise, we just nuke the screamer-thing.

I don't think Gallan took a strummer sad.png I could shoot the shrieking plant with an inferno pistol, although it might cause one heck of a fire, or make the other plants cry out.

Edit: yeah, no strummer. I even had 10 left over acquisition!

Archived